MONDAY 29 MAY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
REDEYE short film programme + Q&A with the filmmakers at The Garden Cinema (29 MAY 18:00).
“REDEYE presents an evening of intimate short films and deep conversations. Join us to explore three visions of identity and environments: physical, social and spiritual. These filmmakers have distinct approaches, each contributing new methods of storytelling to the canon of contemporary filmmaking. We’ll be talking to the makers and creators in a post-screening Q&A.”
- Horror Movie Mondays: A BAY OF BLOOD aka Ecologia del delitto d. Mario Bava, 1971 presented by Violent World & Devil’s Botany at The Last Tuesday Society (29 MAY 19:00).
- CORSAGE d. Marie Kreutzer, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (29 MAY 20:00 / 30 MAY 20:00 / 31 MAY 20:00 / 04 JUN 17:00).
- GAINSBOURG: A HEROIC LIFE d. Joann Sfar, 2010 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (29 MAY 19:30).
- GREGORY’S GIRL d. Bill Forsyth, 1980 at Riverside Studios (29 MAY 14:45).
- Problematic Faves: HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH d. John Cameron Mitchell, 2001 + Live performance by Wanda Whatever presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (29 MAY 19:00).
- Jewish Britain On Film archive film programme at Bertha DocHouse (29 MAY 14:20).
- Jewish Britain On Film archive programme at Phoenix Cinema (29 MAY 20:00 / 31 MAY 18:00).
- Monday Classic Matinée: LET’S MAKE LOVE d. Billy Wilder, 1960 at Regent Street Cinema (29 MAY 13:00).
- MY NAME IS HAPPY d. Ayse Toprak & Nick Read, 2022 + Q&A with the directors at Curzon Soho (29 MAY 18:20).
- Preview: THE OLD MAN MOVIE: LACTOPALYPSE! d. Mikk Magi and Oskar Lehemaa, 2023 + Q&A with Mikk Magi at The Ritzy (29 MAY 19:00).
- REDEYE short film programme + Q&A with the filmmakers at The Garden Cinema (29 MAY 18:00).
- SPICE WORLD THE MOVIE: DRAG ROAST d. Bob Spiers, 1997 hosted by Just May at Rio Cinema (29 MAY 20:45).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- ROBOCOP 35mm d. Paul Verhoeven, 1987 (29 MAY 15:15).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- THE LITTLE MERMAID d. Rob Marshall, 2023 (25 MAY to 01 JUN).
- COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER: DUNKIRK IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2017 (29 MAY 20:30).
ALFRED HITCHCOCK: ACT 1 – 1927 TO 1945 at The Garden Cinema
- THE 39 STEPS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1935 (29 MAY 16:00).
ARROW VIDEO CULT FILM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- WITHNAIL AND I d. Bruce Robinson, 1987 (29 MAY 15:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- THE LIFE & DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP d. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1943 (29 MAY 13:00).
- SCARFACE d. Howard Hawks, 1932 (29 MAY 13:40).
- THE WILD BUNCH d. Sam Peckinpah, 1969 (29 MAY 18:00).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- LAWRENCE OF ARABIAd. David Lean, 1962 (29 MAY 10:30).
CINEMATIC SORCERESS: THE FILMS OF NINA MENKES at BFI Southbank
- THE GREAT SADNESS OF ZOHARA d. Nina Menkes, 1983 (29 MAY 16:20).
COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER at BFI IMAX
- DUNKIRK IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2017 (29 MAY 20:30).
DARIO ARGENTO: DOORS INTO DARKNESS at BFI Southbank
- PHENOMENA 4K Restoration d. Dario Argento, 1985 (29 MAY 15:50).
- MOTHER OF TEARS – THE THIRD MOTHER aka La terza madre 4K Restoration d. Dario Argento, 2007 (29 MAY 18:40).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY – EXTENDED EDITIONS 4K (29 MAY 10:15).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- #30 – PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE aka Portrait de la jeune fille en feu d. Céline Sciamma, 2019 (29 MAY 19:45).
THE THREE COLOURS TRILOGY at BFI Southbank
- THREE COLOURS: BLUE d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993 (26 MAY to 01 JUN).
- THREE COLOURS: WHITE d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 (26 MAY to 01 JUN).
- THREE COLOURS: RED d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 (26 MAY to 01 JUN).
WES ANDERSON MINI-SEASON at Catford Mews
- MOONRISE KINGDOM d. Wes Anderson, 2012 (29 MAY 20:30).
Check venues for full listings…
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- 500 DAYS OF SUMMER (29 MAY 21:00).
- Odyssey Film Festival (26 MAY to 30 JUN).
- Sci-Fi London (31 MAY to 06 JUN).
- Spanish Spring Weekend (01 to 04 JUN).
Also 26 MAY to 01 JUN (various dates/times):
- HYPNOTIC d. Robert Rodriguez, 2023 at: Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Power Station / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- INLAND EMPIRE 4K Restoration d. David Lynch, 2006 at (some limited dates): Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Rio Cinema.
- PARADISE d. Alexander Abaturov, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.