An array of screenings and special events around South Asian Heritage Month 2023. The screenings will explore a range of themes, from identity and community to gender, faith, and family, with a special focus on music, dance and drama.
Submitted by The Garden Cinema
Throughout July and August, The Garden Cinema presents an array of screenings and special events around South Asian Heritage Month 2023, which is themed ‘Stories to Tell.’ The films chosen include suggestions by cinema members and local residents, alongside partnership events with curator Anupma Shanker, SUPAKINO, and London Bengali Film Festival. The screenings will explore a range of themes, from identity and community to gender, faith, and family, with a special focus on music, dance and drama.
SOUTH ASIAN HERITAGE MONTH: STORIES TO TELL at The Garden Cinema
- Includes (check venue for listings):
- THE RIVER d. Jean Renoir, 1951 + Intro by curator Anupma Shanker + Odissi Dance Performance by Prachi Hota (18 JUL 19:45).
- Turbans Seen On Screen: OCTOPUSSY:40th Anniversary d. John Glen, 1983 + Intro by Ranjit S. Ruprai/SUPAKINO & special guest Del Singh (21 JUL 18:15).
- JOYLAND d. Saim Sadiq, 2022 (23 JUL 16:00 / 17 AUG 18:00).
- Preview: THE GOLDEN WINGS OF WATERCOCKS d. Muhammad Quayum, 2022 + Intro by London Bengali Film Festival (27 JUL 20:00).
- THE BREADWINNER d. Nora Twomey, 2017 (29 JUL 11:00).
- THE CLAY BIRD aka Matir Moina d. Tareque Masud, 2002 + Intro by Dr Priyanka Basu, King’s College London (01 AUG 18:15).
- PATHER PANCHALI d. Satyajit Ray, 1955 (02 AUG 20:00 – Members / 09 AUG 18:00).
- BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 (11 AUG 18:10).
- AROUND INDIA WITH A MOVIE CAMERA d. Sandhya Suri, 2018 + Intro by Amish Tripathi for India Independence Day (15 AUG 18:30).
SOUTH ASIAN HERITAGE MONTH: STORIES TO TELL at The Garden Cinema (18 JUL to 17 AUG 2023).
ALSO BOOKING NOW!
DISCOVER MORE FILM // SUPPORT INDIE CINEMA
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.