SATURDAY: What’s on in London today [04/03/23]
SATURDAY 04 MARCH 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
MISHIMA: A LIFE IN FOUR CHAPTERS d. Paul Schrader, 1985 at The Prince Charles (04 MAR 15:10).
“Paul Schrader’s visually stunning, collagelike portrait of acclaimed Japanese author and playwright Yukio Mishima (played by Ken Ogata) investigates the inner turmoil and contradictions of a man who attempted an impossible harmony between self, art, and society. Taking place on Mishima’s last day, when he famously committed public seppuku, the film is punctuated by extended flashbacks to the writer’s life as well as by gloriously stylized evocations of his fictional works. With its rich cinematography by John Bailey, exquisite sets and costumes by Eiko Ishioka, and unforgettable, highly influential score by Philip Glass, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters is a tribute to its subject and a bold, investigative work of art in its own right.” (The PCC)
- ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT d. Edward Berger, 2022 at The David Lean (04 MAR 14:00).
- A Screening of Worker-made Films from Australia and Indonesiapresented by Working Camera at MayDay Rooms (04 MAR 14:30 – FREE!).
- THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI d. Robert Wiene, 1922 + Live score by Minima at Riverside Studios (04 MAR 18:00).
- EVERYTHING BUT THE WORLD d. DIS, 2021 at Close-Up Film Centre (04 MAR 17:00).
- I’M FINE (THANKS FOR ASKING) d. Angelique Molina & Kelley Kali, 2021 + Q&A with the director, presented by Birds’ Eye View at Genesis Cinema (04 MAR 18:15).
- Live Ghost Tent – Quarterly Meeting of the Laurel & Hardy Societyat The Cinema Museum (04 MAR 15:00).
- MISHIMA: A LIFE IN FOUR CHAPTERS d. Paul Schrader, 1985 at The Prince Charles (04 MAR 15:10).
- SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no samurai d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 at ActOne Cinema (04 MAR 14:00 / 05 MAR 14:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT 35mm d. Edward Berger, 2022 (04 MAR 12:00).
- THERE WILL BE BLOOD 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007 (04 MAR 20:30).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- DUNKIRK 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2017 (04 MAR 12:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- CREED III d. Michael B. Jordan, 2023 (03 to 09 MAR).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- PERFECT BLUE d. Satoshi Kon, 1997 (04 MAR 18:15).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- WIND FROM THE EAST d. Jean-Luc Godard & Jean-Pierre Gorin, 1970 (04 MAR 18:10).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021 (04 MAR 15:00).
COEN BROTHERS ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI 35mm d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1998 (04 MAR 22:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
- STOLEN KISSES d. François Truffaut, 1968 (04 MAR 20:15).
THE FILMS OF TERRY GILLIAM at The Garden Cinema
- TIDELAND d. Terry Gilliam, 2005 (04 MAR 20:00).
FROM THE REQUEST BOARD… at The Prince Charles
- MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE d. Gary Goddard, 1987 (04 MAR 18:00).
IVOR CUTLER AND THE ECCENTRIC MISCELLANY at BFI Southbank
- Ivor Cutler and Friends + Panel discussion (04 MAR 16:10).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 13= LA RÈGLE DU JEU aka The Rules of the Game d. Jean Ronoir, 1939 (04 MAR 13:20).
- 9= MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA aka Chelovek s kino-apparatom d. Dziga Vertov, 1929 (04 MAR 15:30).
- 23= PLAYTIME d. Jacques Tati, 1967 (04 MAR 17:00).
- 15= THE SEARCHERS d. John Ford, 1956 (04 MAR 17:40).
- 20= SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no samurai d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 (04 MAR 18:50).
- 19=APOCALYPSE NOW: FINAL CUT d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1979 (04 MAR 19:40).
- 4= TOKYO STORY aka Tôkyô monogatari d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1953 (04 MAR 20:15).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (04 MAR 20:15).
WEIMAR CINEMA at Picturehouse Cinemas
- M d. Fritz Lang, 1931 (04 MAR various).
- Busting the Bias (03 to 05 MAR).
- Cinema Made In Italy (09 to 13 MAR).
- Donne di Mafia, Having a Voice (04 to 05 MAR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- Stardance Animation Festival (03 to 12 MAR).
CLOSE dir Lukas Dhont, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
CREED III dir Michael B Jordan, 2023
- Various venues, inc: Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix
FASHION REIMAGINED dir Becky Hutner, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / The Castle Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Picturehouse Cinemas
Also 03 to 09 MAR (various dates/times):
- BUCK AND THE PREACHER d. Sidney Poitier, 1972 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios.
- ELECTRIC MALADY d. Marie Lidén, 2022 at: ICA.
- EVA’S PROMISE d. Steve McCarthy, 2022 at: JW3 (from 06 MAR).
- I’M FINE (THANKS FOR ASKING) d. Angelique Molina & Kelley Kali, 2021 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Rio Cinema.
- SUBJECT d. Camilla Hall & Jennifer Tiexier, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Queer East Festival’s boundary-pushing LGBTQ+ programme returns to venues across London (18 to 30 APR 2023)
- Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club presents a spectacular series of 16mm screenings at The Castle Cinema (booking to 28 MAY 2023)
- Bruce LaBruce at Rich Mix presented by Fringe!, DMovies & Doesn’t Exist (07 & 18 APR 2023)
- Malarkey Film Festival presents CREEPUSCULA at Phoenix Cinema (05 APR 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.