SATURDAY 04 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THE KINGDOM OF DREAMS AND MADNESS d. Mami Sunada, 2013 + Intro by Ghiblioteque at The Prince Charles (04 SEP 12:30):
- “Ghibliotheque, the podcast that celebrates the world’s greatest animation studio, Studio Ghibli, presents a rare screening of the incredible and insightful feature-length Ghibli documentary. Shot by director Mami Sunada, the documentary provides unparalleled access to the workings of the Studio as they craft two soon-to-be masterpieces from their two resident geniuses: Hayao Miyazaki’s THE WIND RISES and Isao Takahata’s THE TALE OF THE PRINCESS KAGUYA. As production swirls around her, Sunada observes these masters at work, and introduces fans and viewers to the quirks and eccentricities of life at Ghibli – from the gruelling grind of producing hand-drawn animation, to the unique perspective of Ushiko, Ghibli’s studio cat.”
- A DRY WHITE SEASON d. Euzhan Palcy, 1989 at Riverside Studios (04 SEP 14:30).
- AMERICAN GRAFFITI 35mm d. George Lucas, 1973 at The Prince Charles (04 SEP 20:50).
- ANNETTE d. Leos Carax, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Ciné Lumière (04 SEP 18:45).
- ASUNDER d. Esther Johnson, 2016 + Intro by the director & Bob Stanley at BFI (04 SEP 12:00).
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1998 at The Prince Charles (04 SEP 17:45).
- THE BINGO LONG TRAVELING ALL-STARS & MOTOR KINGS d. John Badham, 1976 at BFI (04 SEP 20:30).
- BLADE RUNNER 2049 4k d. Denis Villeneuve, 2017 at BFI (04 SEP 20:00).
- CINEMA PARADISO 4k aka Nuovo Cinema Paradiso d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 at BFI (04 SEP 15:20).
- FINISTERRE d. Paul Kelly & Kieran Evans, 2003 + Q&A with Bob Stanley & Pete Wiggs at BFI (04 SEP 15:00).
- HERSELF d. Phyllida Lloyd, 2021 + Q&A with the director, Clare Dunne & Harriet Walter at Chiswick Cinema (04 SEP 20:00).
- THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES 35mm d. Sidney Lanfield, 1939 at BFI (04 SEP 15:15).
- HOW WE USED TO LIVE d. Paul Kelly, 2013 + Q&A with Pete Wiggs & Travis Elborough at BFI (04 SEP 17:20).
- JANINE JANSEN: FALLING FOR STRADIVARI d. Gerald Fox, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Bertha DocHouse (04 SEP 18:00).
- JAZZ ON A SUMMER’S DAY d. Aram Avakian & Bert Stern, 1959 at Regent Street Cinema (04 SEP 13:00).
- THE KINGDOM OF DREAMS AND MADNESS d. Mami Sunada, 2013 + Intro by Ghiblioteque at The Prince Charles (04 SEP 12:30).
- LAST YEAR IN MARIENBAD d. Alain Resnais, 1961 at Close-Up (04 SEP 20:15).
- LADY SINGS THE BLUES d. Sidney J Furie, 1972 at BFI (04 SEP 11:30).
- THE LITTLE MERMAID d. Ron Clements & John Musker, 1989 at The Prince Charles (04 SEP 15:30).
- THE MAN WHO SOLD HIS SKIN aka L’Homme qui a vendu sa peau d. Kaouther Ben Hania, 2020 + Recorded Q&A with the director at BFI (04 SEP 17:40).
- MISHA AND THE WOLVES d. Sam Hobkinson, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Everyman Hampstead (04 SEP 16:15).
- PULP FICTION 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 at The Prince Charles (04 SEP 20:30).
- THE STORY OF A THREE-DAY PASS aka La permission d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1967 at ICA (04 SEP 21:20).
- TOKYO STORY 35mm aka Tôkyô monogatari d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1953 at The Prince Charles (04 SEP 13:05).
- WILDFIRE d. Cathy Brady, 2020 + Q&A with the director at Rio Cinema (04 SEP 15:45).
- WOLF AND SHEEP d. Shahrbanoo Sadat, 2016 at ICA (04 SEP 16:20).
- Moving Image Salon – Seán Vicary presented by Moving Image Artists (04 SEP 14:00-16:00 – Free!).
- THE NOTEBOOK d. Nick Cassavetes, 2004 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (04 SEP 20:00).
- TOP GUN d. Tony Scott, 1986 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (04 SEP 20:00).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- Open City Documentary Festival (08 to 14 SEP in venues / 13 to 23 SEP online).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (09 to 19 SEP).
- Sci-Fi-London 48hr Film Challenge (04 to 06 SEP).
ANNETTE d. Leos Carax, 2021.
- Also (03 to 09 SEP various dates/times): THE CHAMPION OF AUSCHWITZ d. Maciej Barczewski, 2020 at: JW3 / Picturehouse Cinemas // DAVID BYRNE’S AMERICAN UTOPIA d. Spike Lee, 2020 at: The Prince Charles // EPICENTRO d. Hubert Sauper, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse // JANINE JANSEN: FALLING FOR STRADIVARI d. Gerald Fox, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // JAZZ ON A SUMMER’S DAY d. Aram Avakian & Bert Stern, 1959 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // WILDFIRE d. Cathy Brady, 2020 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Rio Cinema.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.