SATURDAY 08 APRIL 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
DECODER d. Muscha, 1984 + Intro by Stewart Home, presented by Stewart Home’s Occasional Barbican Film Club at Barbican (08 APR 15:30).
“For the latest instalment of his Occasional Barbican Film Club, Stewart Home takes inspiration from Lauderdale Tower in this 80s anti-capitalist piece where punk meets popcorn.”
“DECODER is the second feature film by Muscha, the iconic figure of the 80s punk scene. Portraying the thriving cyberpunk and counterculture movements in West Germany in the 80s, the film features era-defining bands such as Soft Cell, The The and Einstürzende Neubauten among other notable figures.”
“The story follows a man who learns that the soundtrack being played in the fast food chain he works in is being used to manipulate customers, he decides to take the sound system into his own hands. Decoder blends arresting visuals, urban industrial aesthetics, science fiction, conspiracy theory and documentary footage of street violence, with a searing attack on consumerist culture.” (Barbican)
- A BUNCH OF AMATEURS d. Kim Hopkins, 2022 presented by Straight 8 at The Garden Cinema (08 APR 20:15).
- Blinking Buzzards – The UK Buster Keaton Society at The Cinema Museum (08 APR 16:00).
- DECODER d. Muscha, 1984 + Intro by Stewart Home, presented by Stewart Home’s Occasional Barbican Film Club at Barbican (08 APR 15:30).
- Doctor Who: Classic Episode Showcase + Recorded Q&A at Riverside Studios (08 APR 14:00).
- GAZWRX: The Films of Jeff Keen at Close-Up (08 APR 18:30).
- SUPERMAN: 45TH ANNIVERSARY d. Richard Donner, 1978 at Electric Cinemas Portobello (08 APR 13:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- EMPIRE RECORDS [Original Version] 35mm d. Allan Moyle, 1995 (08 APR 17:35).
- CASINO 35mm d. Martin Scorsese, 1995 (08 APR 20:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOUR AMONGST THIEVES d. John Francis Daley & Jonathan Goldstein, 2023 (31 MAR to 13 APR).
- THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE d. Aaron Horvath & Michael Jelenic, 2023 (05 to 13 APR).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- THE END OF EVANGELION d. Hideaki Anno & Kazuya Tsurumaki, 1997 (07 to 13 APR various).
- WEATHERING WITH YOU aka Tenki no ko d. Makoto Shinkai, 2019 (08 APR 13:00 – DUB).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- TWO OR THREE THINGS I KNOW ABOUT HER d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1967 (08 APR 20:15).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- LAST YEAR IN MARIENBAD aka L’Année dernière à Marienbad d. Alain Resnais, 1961 (08 APR 18:20).
- NASHVILLE d. Robert Altman, 1975 (08 APR 20:00).
CELEBRATING QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2019 (08 APR 20:00).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT d. Robert Zemeckis, 1988 (08 APR 12:45 – 4K).
COEN BROTHERS ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- TRUE GRIT 35mm d. Ethan Coen & Joel Coen, 2010 (08 APR 22:30).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- SHALL WE DANCE 35mm d. Mark Sandrich, 1937 + Illustrated talk by Miles Eady (08 APR 14:00).
- THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY d. Charles Walters, 1949 (08 APR 17:30).
- Re-release: TOP HAT d. Mark Sandrich, 1935 (07 to 20 APR).
KIEŚLOWSKI’S THREE COLOURS 35MM at Curzon Soho
- THREE COLOURS: WHITE 35mm d. Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1994 (08 APR 15:00).
NORTHERN VOICES at BFI Southbank
- PRIEST d. Antonia Bird, 1994 (08 APR 20:40).
OUTSIDERS AND EXILES: THE FILMS OF JERZY SKOLIMOWSKI at BFI Southbank
- THE LIGHTSHIP 35mm d. Jerzy Skolimowski, 1985 (08 APR 12:15).
- WALKOVER aka Walkower d. Jerzy Skolimowski, 1965 (08 APR 18:10).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (08 APR 20:30).
- Clermont-Ferrand in London (04 to 08 APR).
- Kendal Mountain Film Festival UK Tour (13 APR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- Sunday Shorts Film Festival (09 APR).
Also 07 to 13 APR (various dates/times):
- BLUE BAG LIFE d. Lisa Selby & Rebecca Lloyd-Evans, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Curzon Cinemas / ICA.
- DELIKADO d. Karl Malakunas, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- FRAGMENTS FROM HEAVEN d. Adnane Baraka, 2022 at: ICA.
- IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING d. Toby Amies, 2022 at (some limited engagements): Bertha DocHouse / Everyman Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema.
- LOLA d. Andrew Legge, 2022 at: ICA / Riverside Studios.
- MONTY PYTHON’S LIFE OF BRIAN d. Terry Jones, 1979 at: Chiswick Cinema (09 APR 13:30 / 10 APR 19:30); The Cinema In The Arches (09 APR 15:30 / 10 APR 17:10); Curzon Cinemas (07 to 10 APR various); Everyman Cinemas (09 APR various); Olympic Studios (09 APR 19:50 / 10 APR 15:30); Phoenix Cinema (09 APR 17:00); The Prince Charles (08 APR 15:30 / 12 APR 15:45).
- THE OUTWATERS d. Robbie Banfitch, 2023 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles.
- THREE COLOURS: WHITE d. Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1994 at (some limited engagements): ArtHouse Crouch End / Close-Up / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.