SATURDAY 13 AUGUST 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
HAROLD & MAUDE d. Hal Ashby, 1971 + Live music by Maggie Nicols, presented by Wonder Reels at The Cinema Museum (13 AUG 19:30).
“Wonder Reels return to the Cinema Museum with their unique events featuring live performances from outstanding London musicians followed by a screening of a full feature film chosen with the artist in mind.”
“The event will start with a performance by vocalist, instrumentalist and dancer Maggie Nicols, who will be playing an improvised voice and piano set. Maggie Nicols co-founded the Feminist Improvising Group in the 1970s and has had a prolific career as a performer and recording artist worldwide.”
“The concert will be followed by a screening of Hal Ashby’s 1971 cult existentialist comedy Harold and Maude, chronicling the adventures of two adorable mavericks while they make the most of their time on earth.” (The Cinema Museum)
- BLIND AMBITION d. Warwick Ross & Rob Coe, 2021 + Q&A with the directors & protagonists & wine tasting at Phoenix Cinema (13 AUG 18:30).
- BLONDE CRAZY (aka Larceny Lane) d. Roy Del Ruth, 1931 at Regent Street Cinema (13 AUG 15:20).
- FORTUNE FAVORS LADY NIKUKO d. Ayumu Watanabe, 2022 at Picturehouse Cinemas (13 AUG various).
- HAROLD & MAUDE d. Hal Ashby, 1971 + Live music by Maggie Nicols, presented by Wonder Reels at The Cinema Museum (13 AUG 19:30).
- LOOPS film screening + Q&Awith filmmakers Ingrid Olivia Norrmén-Smith & Whitney Conti at Bermondsey Project Space (13 AUG 16:00).
- NOPE d. Jordan Peele, 2022 presented by Bounce at Genesis Cinema (13 AUG 19:30).
- RRR d. S.S. Rajamouli, 2022 at BFI Southbank (13 AUG 19:00 – NFT1).
- THE SALT OF THE EARTH d. Juliano Ribeiro Salgado & Wim Wenders, 2014 at ArtHouse Crouch End (13 AUG 15:30).
- TIME BANDITS d. Terry Gilliam, 1981 at The Garden Cinema (13 AUG 16:00).
- Tony Hancock: Oddities and Rarities at BFI Southbank (13 AUG 12:00).
- WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT d. Robert Zemeckis, 1988 at The Prince Charles (13 AUG 12:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- DEATH IN VENICE 35mm d. Luchino Visconti, 1971 (13 AUG 12:45).
- ROAD HOUSE 35mm d. Rowdy Herrington, 1989 (13 AUG 18:10).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm New ‘Unrestored’ Version d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (13 AUG 17:00).
90S CINEMA ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- CLERKS 35mm d. Kevin Smith, 1994 (13 AUG 22:30).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- YOUR NAME d. Makoto Shinkai, 2016 (13 AUG 14:30).
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 (13 AUG 20:30 – 4K).
BADASS B-MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- TAMMY AND THE T-REX [Gore Cut] d. Stewart Raffill, 1994 (13 AUG 20:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: POWER! at BFI Southbank
- SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS d. Alexander Mackendrick, 1957 (13 AUG 18:10).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- THE THIRD MAN d. Carol Reed, 1949 (13 AUG 18:30).
CELEBRATING PENÉLOPE CRUZ at The Garden Cinema
- ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1999 (13 AUG 20:50).
CLOSE-UP ON WIM WENDERS at Close-Up
- PARIS, TEXAS d. Wim Wenders, 1984 (13 AUG 20:00).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- COME AND SEE d. Elem Klimov, 1985 (13 AUG 17:15).
FROM JAMAICA TO THE WORLD: REGGAE ON FILM at BFI Southbank
- ROCKERS d. Theodoros Bafaloukos, 1978 (13 AUG 14:45).
- BETTER MUS’ COME d. Storm Saulter, 2010 (13 AUG 18:15).
- SPRINTER d. Storm Saulter, 2018 (13 AUG 20:40).
- Re-release: THE HARDER THEY COME d. Perry Henzell, 1972 (until 18 AUG).
LONG-ASS MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (13 AUG 17:00 – 170mins).
PRE-CODE HOLLYWOOD: RULES ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN at BFI Southbank
- RED-HEADED WOMAN Newly remastered d. Jack Conway, 1932 (13 AUG 16:00).
SATYAJIT RAY: THE LANGUAGE OF FILM at BFI Southbank
- The woman question: TEEN KANYA 35mm aka Three Daughters d. Satyajit Ray, 1961 (13 AUG 14:50).
- Re-release: THE BIG CITY aka Mahanagar d. Satyajit Ray, 1963 (13 AUG 17:40).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (13 AUG 15:40).
- What are we missing…?
OUTDOOR CINEMA at The Cinema In The Arches
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- PRETTY WOMAN (13 AUG 20:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- GREASE (13 AUG 20:30).
NOPE dir. Jordan Peele, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI IMAX / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
Also 12 to 18 AUG (various dates/times): ALEPH d. lva Radivojević, 2021 at: ICA // CHILDREN OF LAS BRISAS d. Marianela Maldonado, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse // EIFFEL d. Martin Bourboulon, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas // EXPOSING MUYBRIDGE d. Marc Shaffer, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.