SATURDAY 15 JULY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Black Interiority short film programme at Barbican (15 JUL 16:00) / Part of Carrie Mae Weems: Reflections for Now.
“Carrie Mae Weems’ explorations of Black female subjectivity serve as a point of departure for this programme, which extends her interest in the spatial and emotional dimensions of interior domestic spaces, most famously explored in her celebrated Kitchen Table Series.“
“The two films in this programme foreground interior spaces, and explore the everyday lives of their protagonists, creating layered portraits of the African American subjects: UNSPOKEN CONVERSATION d. Iman Uqdah Hameen, 1987 + A DREAM IS WHAT YOU WAKE UP FROM d. Larry Bullard & Carolyn Johnson, 1978.” (Barbican)
- THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS d. Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966 presented by Thawrarchive at Brunei Gallery Lecture Theatre, SOAS University of London (15 JUL 16:00).
- Black Interiority short film programme at Barbican (15 JUL 16:00) / Part of Carrie Mae Weems: Reflections for Now.
- Blinking Buzzards – Quarterly meeting of the UK Buster Keaton Societyat The Cinema Museum (15 JUL 16:00).
- CADE: THE TORTURED CROSSING d. Neil Breen, 2022 at The Prince Charles (15 JUL 20:30).
- RUDOLF NUREYEV’S DON QUIXOTE d. Robert Helpmann & Rudolf Nureyev, 1973 at ActOne Cinema (15 JUL 14:30 / 16 JUL 14:30).
- RUDOLF NUREYEV’S DON QUIXOTE d. Robert Helpmann & Rudolf Nureyev, 1973 at Curzon Cinemas (15 JUL various / 16 JUL various).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- SHIRLEY VALENTINE 35mm d. Lewis Gilbert, 1989 + Intro by Brian Meacham (15 JUL 12:45 – £1 Members Film).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – DEAD RECKONING PART ONE d. Christopher McQuarrie, 2023 (10 to 20 JUL).
ALFRED HITCHCOCK: ACT 2 – 1945 TO 1954 at The Garden Cinema
- SPELLBOUND d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1945 (15 JUL 18:15).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- THE TUNNEL TO SUMMER, THE EXIT OF GOODBYES d. Tomohisa Taguchi, 2022 (14 to 20 JUL various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THERE’S A PLACE… at BFI Southbank
- SHADOW OF A DOUBT d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1943 (15 JUL 12:40).
CHINESE CINEMA PROJECT at The Garden Cinema
- THARLO d. Pema Tseden, 2015 + Intro by Chris Berry, in tribute to the director (15 JUL 16:00).
THE CINEMA OF CHRISTOPHER NOLAN ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- TENET 35mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2020 (15 JUL 22:30).
DRAMA AND DESIRE: THE FILMS OF YOUSSEF CHAHINE at BFI Southbank
- The Melodrama Of Life: THE BLAZING SUN aka Seraa Fil Wadi d. Youssef Chahine, 1954 (15 JUL 12:30).
- An Egyptian Panorama – Contemporary Mirrors: DARK WATERS aka Seraa Fil Mina d. Youssef Chahine, 1955 (15 JUL 18:00).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
THE FILMS OF GRETA GERWIG at BFI Southbank
- DAMSELS IN DISTRESS d. Whit Stillman, 2011 (15 JUL 20:30).
THE FILMS OF WES ANDERSON at The Prince Charles
- ASTEROID CITY d. Wes Anderson, 2023 (14 to 20 JUL).
GERWIG VS NOLAN at Picturehouse Cinemas
- LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 (15 JUL various).
- DUNKIRK d. Christopher Nolan, 2017 (15 JUL various).
MAKING MAGIC: 100 YEARS OF DISNEY at BFI Southbank
- Pushing the Envelope:
- THE BLACK HOLE 35mm d. Gary Nelson, 1979 (15 JUL 13:00).
- TRON d. Steven Lisberger, 1982 (15 JUL 15:10).
- TRON: LEGACY d. Joseph Kosinski, 2010 (15 JUL 17:45).
- WALL-E d. Andrew Stanton, 2008 (15 JUL 20:45).
MICHELLE YEOH SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert, 2022 (15 JUL 20:15).
RANOWN WESTERNS at The Prince Charles
- DECISION AT SUNDOWN d. Budd Boetticher, 1957 (15 JUL 12:15 – 4K).
TWO BY EDWARD YANG at The Prince Charles
- YI YI d. Edward Yang, 2000 (15 JUL 14:15).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (15 JUL 18:00 – 4K).
Check venues for full listings…
THE LUNA CINEMA at Kenwood NW3
- GREASE (15 JUL 21:15).
THE LUNA CINEMA at Dulwich Park
- GREASE (15 JUL 21:15).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
SUNSET SCREENING SESSIONS at Beckenham Place Park
- THE FULL MONTY d. Peter Cattaneo, 1997 (15 JUL 21:15).
- Arthouse Short Film Festival (20 JUL).
- Focus Hong Kong (12 to 15 JUL).
- International Animal Future Film Festival (14 to 29 JUL).
- Queer Fest (13 to 16 JUL).
Also 14 to 20 JUL (various dates/times):
- PARIS MEMORIES d. Alice Winocour, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- THE TUNNEL TO SUMMER, THE EXIT OF GOODBYES d. Tomohisa Taguchi, 2022 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles.
- WHERE IS THIS STREET? OR WITH NO BEFORE AND AFTER aka Onde Fica Esta Rua? Ou Sem Antes Nem Depois d. João Pedro Rodrigues & João Rui Guerra da Mata, 2022 at: ICA.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.