SATURDAY 17 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
MATTHEW BARNEY’S CREMASTER CYCLE: CREMASTER 4, 1, 5 & 2 + Intro by Charlie Fox at Picturehouse Central (17 JUL 17:00).
- “The Cremaster Cycle is a series of five visually extravagant films created by artist Matthew Barney that blasted its way into the art world nearly 20 years ago, and has had a lasting impact ever since: its influence can be found in film, video, art, media, commerce, theatre and more.”
- Continues with: MATTHEW BARNEY’S CREMASTER CYCLE: CREMASTER 3 + Intro by Charlie Fox at Picturehouse Central (18 JUL 16:00).
- In conjunction with the exhibition Matthew Barney: Redoubt at Hayward Gallery (until 25 July).
- 2046 4K d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 at BFI Southbank (17 JUL 16:10).
- A DOG BARKING AT THE MOON d. Zi Xiang, 2019 + Intro by Christopher Brown, University of Sussex at The Lexi (17 JUL 14:00) / Part of Queer East – Pride Season.
- AS TEARS GO BY 4K aka Wong Gok ka moon d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 at BFI Southbank (17 JUL 20:30).
- BINDING SENTIMENTS aka Holdudvar d. Márta Mészáros, 1969 at BFI Southbank (17 JUL 15:20).
- THE BLUES BROTHERS d. John Landis, 1980 presented by Deptford Cinema at Deptford Lounge (17 JUL 19:00).
- CASABLANCA d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 at BFI Southbank (17 JUL 13:00).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS 4K aka Chung Hing sam lam d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at ICA (17 JUL 12:30).
- DUNE 70MM d. David Lynch, 1984 at The Prince Charles (17 JUL 14:30).
- Emergent Strand short film programme at Catford Mews (17 JUL 14:15) / Part of Black Lens Film Festival.
- FANTASTIC MR. FOX 35MM d. Wes Anderson, 2009 at The Prince Charles (17 JUL 11:45).
- THE GINGERBREAD MAN 35MM d. Robert Altman, 1997 at BFI Southbank (17 JUL 17:50).
- THE GRANDMASTER aka Yi dai zong shi d. Wong Kar Wai, 2013 at ICA (17 JUL 18:20).
- HOW TO STOP A RECURRING DREAM d. Ed Morris, 2021 at Catford Mews (17 JUL 20:45) / Part of Black Lens Film Festival.
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at BFI Southbank (17 JUL 13:30).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at ICA (17 JUL 18:15).
- THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS d. John Glen, 1987 at The Prince Charles (17 JUL 17:30).
- LOVE POEM d. Wang Xiaozhen, 2020 + Intro at BFI Southbank (17 JUL 12:00) / Part of Chinese Visual Festival.
- MATTHEW BARNEY’S CREMASTER CYCLE: CREMASTER 4, 1, 5 & 2 + Intro by Charlie Fox at Picturehouse Central (17 JUL 17:00).
- MEMORIES OF MURDER d. Salinui chueok d. Bong Joon-ho, 2003 at The Prince Charles (17 JUL 15:15).
- SHORT CUTS 35MM d. Robert Altman, 1993 at BFI Southbank (17 JUL 19:30).
- STALKER d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979 at Close-Up (17 JUL 19:15).
- SUMMER OF SOUL (… OR, WHEN THE REVOLUTION COULD NOT BE TELEVISED) d. Questlove, 2021 + Panel hosted by Mikel Ameen & Afterparty presented by Storybox at Genesis Cinema (17 JUL 17:45).
- SUNSET BLVD. 35MM d. Billy Wilder, 1950 at The Prince Charles (17 JUL 12:45).
- UNDER THE SKIN d. Jonathan Glazer, 2013 at Everyman Broadgate (17 JUL 21:00).
- THE WITCHES OF THE ORIENT d. Julien Faraut, 2021 + Recorded Panel Discussion with the director, Manga expert Paul Gravett & England volleyball player Maria Bertelli at Barbican (17 JUL 14:45).
- Woman with a Movie Camera Summit from BFI (17 to 18 July).
- A STAR IS BORN d. Bradley Cooper, 2018 at Bar Elba SE1 (17 JUL 19:00).
- DIRTY DANCING d. Emile Ardolino, 1987 at Bar Elba SE1 (17 JUL 14:00).
- FIGHT CLUB d. David Fincher, 1999 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (17 JUL 21:15).
- THE PRINCESS BRIDE d. Rob Reiner, 1987 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (17 JUL 21:10).
- Black Lens Film Festival (16 to 19 JUL).
- Chinese Visual Festival (15 to 25 JUL).
- Queer East – Pride Season (JUN to JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival: Generational Encounters in Arab Cinema (01 to 17 JUL).
SUMMER OF SOUL (… OR, WHEN THE REVOLUTION COULD NOT BE TELEVISED) d. Questlove, 2021
- Also (daily 16 to 22 JUL various): BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA d. John Carpenter, 1986 at The Prince Charles // BYE BYE MORONS aka Adieu les cons d. Albert Dupontel, 2020 at Ciné Lumière // NOWHERE SPECIAL d. Uberto Pasolini, 2020 at The Castle Cinema / Everyman Cinemas / The Lexi Cinema / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Watermans // THE STORY OF LOVERS ROCK d. Menelik Shabazz, 2011 at Picturehouse Cinemas (various) // TOP GUN d. Tony Scott, 1986 at The Prince Charles // TWO OF US d. Filippo Meneghetti, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / JW3 / Regent Street / Rio Cinema.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- Crap Film Club presents ONE MAN FORCE at The Old Queens Head (03 OCT 2022)
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.