SATURDAY: What’s on in London today [18/02/23]
SATURDAY 18 FEBRUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 + Q&A with Nan Goldin at Picturehouse Central (18 FEB 17:00).
“ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED is an epic, emotional story about internationally renowned artist and activist Nan Goldin told through her slideshows, intimate interviews, ground-breaking photography and rare footage of her fight to hold the Sackler family accountable for the overdose crisis.”
“Directed by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Laura Poitras, the film interweaves Goldin’s past and present, the deeply personal and urgently political, from P.A.I.N.’s actions at renowned art institutions to Goldin’s photography of her friends and peers through her epic The Ballad of Sexual Dependency and her legendary 1989, NEA-censored AIDS exhibition Witnesses: Against Our Vanishing.”
- ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 + Q&A with Nan Goldin at Picturehouse Central (18 FEB 17:00).
- MAKE ME FAMOUS d. Brian Vincent, 2022 + Intro by the filmmakers at Bertha DocHouse (18 FEB 20:00).
- MR. JONES d. Agnieszka Holland, 2019 + Intro by Katerina Pavlyuk, presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Waterhouse Hall (18 FEB 19:30).
Check venues for full listings…
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 3D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (17 to 23 FEB).
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 2D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (17 to 23 FEB).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Professional Lives: YOJIMBO aka Yôjinbô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1961 (18 FEB 20:45).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 23 FEB).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- GHOST IN THE SHELL d. Mamoru Oshii, 1995 (18 FEB 18:35 – 4K).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- OLDBOY aka Oldeuboi d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 (17 to 23 FEB).
A TASTE OF QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- BLUE JEAN d. Georgia Oakley, 2022 (until 23 FEB).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert, 2022 (18 FEB 12:00 – 4K).
CLOSE-UP ON DANNY LYON at Close-Up Film Centre
- Programme 1 (18 FEB 18:00).
COEN BROTHERS ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- MILLER’S CROSSING 35mm d. Joel Coen, 1990 (18 FEB 22:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
- COUP D’ÉTAT d. Kiju Yoshida, 1973 (18 FEB 20:15).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 54= BLADE RUNNER: FINAL CUT 4K d. Ridley Scott, 1982 (18 FEB 18:10).
- 48= WANDA d. Barbara Loden, 1970 (18 FEB 18:20 & 18:25).
- 54= BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN aka Bronenosets Potemkin d. Sergei M. Eisenstein, 1925 (18 FEB 18:30).
- 35 PATHER PANCHALI 4K d. Satyajit Ray, 1955 (18 FEB 20:30).
- 43= THE KILLER OF SHEEP d. Charles Burnett, 1977 (18 FEB 20:40).
- Re-release: 41= RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 23 FEB).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (18 FEB 21:00).
VALENTINE’S at The Prince Charles
- SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN d. Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly, 1952 (18 FEB 13:10).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- 2046 d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 (18 FEB 15:40).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour (16 to 25 FEB).
MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON dir. Dean Fleischer-Camp, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas
NOSTALGIA dir. Mario Martone, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Peckhamplex
THE SON dir. Florian Zeller, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Ciné Lumière / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas
Also 17 to 23 FEB (various dates/times):
- THE INSPECTION d. Elegance Bratton, 2022 at: Barbican./ Picturehouse Cinemas.
- MAKE ME FAMOUS d. Brian Vincent, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / ICA.
- SHARPER d. Benjamin Caron, 2023 at: Everyman Cinemas.
- THE STRAYS d. Nathaniel Martello-White, 2023 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- Malarkey Film Festival presents CREEPUSCULA at Phoenix Cinema (05 APR 2023)
- The Essay Film Festival at ICA & Birkbeck Cinema (25 to 31 MAR 2023)
- Crap Film Club presents ‘Turkish Star Wars’ to raise funds for the Turkey-Syria Earthquake Appeal at The Old Queens Head (03 APR 2023 – extra screening 05 APR!)
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.