SATURDAY 19 MARCH 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
CALL HER SAVAGE 16mm d. John Francis Dillon, 1932 presented by Women & Cocaine at The Cinema Museum (19 MAR 19:30).
“Join us for an exclusive 16MM archive screening of a fascinatingly lurid tale of extra-marital affairs, prostitution and melodrama. In one of her very rare talkies, Clara Bow, at full throttle speed, plays Nasa Springer. Nasa is a ‘half-breed’ Indian girl who marries just to spite her father, leading her down the usual thrilling pre-Code path of illegitimate birth and prostitution. She HAS to understand why she is so ‘Wild and Untamable’. CALL HER SAVAGE is also one of the earliest Hollywood films to feature a gay character and a scene in a gay bar.” (Women & Cocaine)
- BELFAST d. Kenneth Branagh, 2021 at The David Lean (19 MAR 14:00).
- CALL HER SAVAGE 16mm d. John Francis Dillon, 1932 presented by Women & Cocaine at The Cinema Museum (19 MAR 19:30).
- ENCOUNTERS: Ukrainian Fundraiser Programme at Rio Cinema (19 MAR 14:00).
- London Short Film Festival: Award Winners: Curzon Soho (19 MAR 15:30).
- London Short Film Festival: IRREGULAR ATROCITIES: THE FILMS OF B.M. FERGUSON + Q&A at Rio Cinema (19 MAR 15:30).
- Monsters, Angels and Savannah Knoop short film programme + Q&A at VFD N16 (19 MAR 19:00).
- ON THE WATERFRONT d. Elia Kazan, 1954 at The Prince Charles (19 MAR 12:00).
- REBELLION d. Maia Kenworthy & Elena Sa´nchez Bellot, 2021 + Q&A at Picturehouse Hackney (19 MAR 18:00).
- SOUTH: SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON’S GLORIOUS EPIC OF THE ANTARCTIC d. Frank Hurley, 2019 at Olympic Studios (19 MAR 11:20 / 22 MAR 14:45).
- YOUNG PLATO d. Neasa Ní Chianáin & Declan McGrath, 2021 + Q&A with the directors at ActOne Cinema (19 MAR 15:45).
- French Impressions: Online discussion of TITANE d. Julia Ducournau, 2021 with Jon Davis at Watermans (19 MAR 14:30 – Watch the film in advance!).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various); SEVEN SAMURAI 35mm d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 (19 MAR 17:05).
007 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER 4K d. Guy Hamilton, 1971 (19 MAR 14:25).
70S CINEMA LATE NIGHTS 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE GODFATHER: PART II 35mm d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 (19 MAR 22:30).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): SEVEN SAMURAI 35mm d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 (19 MAR 17:05).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (not listed in other seasons!)
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING d. Chris Columbus, 1987 (19 MAR 20:45); ROBOCOP: Director’s Cut d. Paul Verhoeven, 1987 (19 MAR 21:00).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PARIS 13TH DISTRICT aka Les Olympiades d. Jacques Audiard, 2021 (18 to 31 MAR various); ALINE, THE VOICE OF LOVE d. Valérie Lemercier, 2020 (19 MAR 16:15).
GENERATION AFRICA at Bertha DocHouse
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MAKONGO d. Elvis Sabin Ngaibino, 2020 (19 MAR 16:00).
- Includes (check venue for listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): ONLY YESTERDAY d. Isao Takahata, 1991 (from 19 MAR); WHISPER OF THE HEART d. Yoshifumi Kondô, 1995 (from 19 MAR); HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2004 (from 19 MAR).
- The Banff Mountain Film Festival (14 to 25 MAR).
- BFI Flare (16 to 27 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (19 to 27 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (17 to 25 MAR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
- London Short Film Festival: Award Winners (19 & 20 MAR).
- Mois de la Francophonie (MAR).
- Oska Bright Film Festival (19 & 21 MAR).
- Also 18 to 24 MAR (various dates/times): EUROPA d. Haider Rashid, 2021 at: ICA // HIVE aka Zgjoi d. Blerta Basholi, 2021 at: ActOne Cinema / Barbican / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 at: ICA / Prince Charles Cinema // RIVER d. Jennifer Peedom, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Picturehouse Cinemas // SIN LA HABANA d. Kaveh Nabatian, 2021 at: JW3 (from 20 MAR) // THREE FLOORS d. Nanni Moretti, 2021 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / JW3 // X d. Ti West, 2022 at: Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.