SATURDAY 20 MAY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
LA BELLA STAGIONE aka The Good Season d. Marco Ponti, 2022 + Q&A presented by CinemaItaliaUK & Il Circolo at Picturehouse Fulham Road (20 MAY 18:00).
“At the start of the 1990-91 Serie A championship, President Mantovani’s Sampdoria is ready to aim for the maximum goal. Vialli, Mancini and Vierchowood are more determined than ever to do well, also because of the disappointment suffered in Italy ’90. A pact between players will lead to one of the most surprising championships ever.”
This screening is a tribute to Gianluca Vialli.
- LA BELLA STAGIONE aka The Good Season d. Marco Ponti, 2022 + Q&A presented by CinemaItaliaUK & Il Circolo at Picturehouse Fulham Road (20 MAY 18:00).
- DOGLEG d. Al Warren, 2023 + Q&A presented by Deeper Into Movies ay TT Liquor Store (20 MAY 15:30).
- THE FLYING FOOL 35mm d. Walter Summers, 1931 at The David Lean (20 MAY 14:00).
- French Shorts Accompanied by The Sound of Saxophones, presented by Deac Rossell & The Crooks Saxes, raising funds for The Cinema Museum (20 MAY 19:30).
- INFAMOUS d. Douglas McGrath, 2006 + Toby Jones in conversation with composer Gary Yershon at The Garden Cinema (20 MAY 19:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- EXPLORERS 35mm d. Joe Dante, 1985 (20 MAY 14:55).
- KOYAANISQATSI: LIFE OUT OF BALANCE 35mm d. Godfrey Reggio, 1982 (20 MAY 15:10).
- PARIS, TEXAS 35mm d. Wim Wenders, 1984 (20 MAY 20:15).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (20 MAY 20:35).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- FAST X d. Louis Leterrier, 2023 (19 to 25 MAY).
ALFRED HITCHCOCK: ACT 1 – 1927 TO 1945 at The Garden Cinema
- THE 39 STEPS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1935 (20 MAY 13:30).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- BRITISH SOUNDS (See You at Mao) d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1969 (20 MAY 18:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- THE BIG CITY aka Mahanagar d. Satyajit Ray, 1963 (20 MAY 15:00).
- THE LIFE & DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP d. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1943 (20 MAY 19:50).
THE CINEMA OF WES ANDERSON ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL 35mm d. Wes Anderson, 2014 (20 MAY 22:30).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- BICYCLE THIEVES aka Ladri di biciclette d. Vittorio De Sica, 1948 (20 MAY 12:30).
CINEMATIC SORCERESS: THE FILMS OF NINA MENKES at BFI Southbank
- DISSOLUTION aka Hitparkut d. Nina Menkes, 2010 (20 MAY 18:20).
- New release: BRAINWASHED: SEX-CAMERA-POWER d. Nina Menkes, 2022 (12 to 25 MAY).
DARIO ARGENTO: DOORS INTO DARKNESS at BFI Southbank
- THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA 4K Restoration aka Il fantasma dell’opera d. Dario Argento, 1998 (20 MAY 15:50).
- SUSPIRIA 4K Restoration d. Dario Argento, 1977 (20 MAY 18:10).
- INFERNO d. Dario Argento, 1980 (20 MAY 20:45).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
- MULHOLLAND DR. d. David Lynch, 2001 (20 MAY 20:15).
THE FILMS OF PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON at The Prince Charles
- PHANTOM THREAD d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017 + Live podcast recording by The Big Picture (20 MAY 17:15).
THE FILMS OF WES ANDERSON at The Prince Charles
- THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU d. Wes Anderson, 2004 (20 MAY 17:30).
FORGOTTEN TELEVISION DRAMA: REDISCOVERING THE HALF-HOUR PLAY at BFI Southbank
- From the Regions (20 MAY 13:20).
MUKHRIJAT: ARAB WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Garden Cinema
- THE BLUE CAFTAN d. Maryam Touzani, 2022 (until 25 MAY)
- UNDER THE FIG TREES d. Erige Sehiri, 2021 (until 25 MAY).
MURIEL BOX: A WOMAN’S TAKE at BFI Southbank
- THE HAPPY FAMILY 35mm aka Mr Lord Says No/ Live and Let Live d. Muriel Box, 1952 (20 MAY 15:15).
PERANKH: THE JUNE GIVANNI PANAFRICAN CINEMA ARCHIVE at Raven Row Gallery
- CAMP DE THIAROYE aka The Camp at Thiaroye d. Ousumane Sembène & Thierno Faty Sow, 1988 + Intro (20 MAY 18:30 – FREE!).
SKIP NORMAN: HERE AND THERE at ICA & Goethe-Institut
TECHNOLOGY ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- NAM JUNE PAIK: MOON IS THE OLDEST TV d. Amanda Kim, 2023 (19 to 25 MAY).
WES-TROSPECTIVE at Picturehouse Cinemas
- FANTASTIC MR. FOX + ISLE OF DOGS (20 MAY various).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- HAPPY TOGETHER d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 (20 MAY 12:45 – 4K).
Check venues for full listings…
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
- SHE’S ALL THAT (20 MAY 21:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- CLUELESS (20 MAY 20:50).
- Beyond Words French Literature Festival (12 to 21 MAY).
- ECHOES Indigenous Film Festival (19 to 21 MAY).
- London Japan Film Festival (20 to 21 MAY).
- SERET Israeli Film & TV Festival (18 to 25 MAY).
- Syrian Arts & Cultural Festival (11 to 23 MAY).
ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT’S ME, MARGARET dir Kelly Fremon Craig, 2023
Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / The Lexi Cinema / Olympic Studios / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema
Also 19 to 25 MAY (various dates/times):
- THE OTHER FELLOW d. Matthew Bauer, 2022 at: ActOne Cinema.
- STILL: A MICHAEL J. FOX MOVIE d. Davis Guggenheim, 2023 at: Picturehouse Cinemas.
- UNDER THE FIG TREES dir Erige Sehiri, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / ICA.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.