SATURDAY 21 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THUNDERCRACK! d. Curt McDowell, 1975 + Intro by Jane Giles at BFI Southbank (21 AUG 17:00).
- “‘Come with us into a world of degradation, a house of shame and secret guilt; an ecstasy so great that all heaven and hell becomes one Shangri-la!’Four men, three women and a gorilla descend on a remote ranch house where they’re feverishly spied upon by their neurotic, drunken host. The sex flows increasingly freely as the tall tale twists and turns to its hysterical, melodramatic climax. Curt McDowell subverts the ‘old dark house’ vibes of yore with knowing, trashy, camp deliciousness while George Kuchar provides the totally OTT script. A film of considerable notoriety – and once a regular fixture at the iconic Scala Cinema in London’s King’s Cross – this monochrome masterpiece has been criminally absent from cinema screens for too long.”
- THE 8TH d. Aideen Kane, Lucy Kennedy & Maeve O’Boyle, 2020 at Rio Cinema (21 AUG 16:15).
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70MM d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 ‘unrestored print’ at The Prince Charles (21 AUG 20:15).
- AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON d. John Landis, 1981 at The Prince Charles (21 AUG 14:45).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS aka Chung Hing sam lam d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at Picturehouse Cinemas (daily 20 to 26 AUG various).
- CINEMA PARADISO 4K aka Nuovo Cinema Paradiso d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 at BFI (21 AUG 14:30).
- DO THE RIGHT THING d. Spike Lee, 1989 presented by Deptford Cinema at Deptford Lounge (21 AUG 19:00).
- JACKIE BROWN d. Quentin Tarantino, 1997 at Everyman Broadgate (21 AUG 21:00).
- THE LEGEND OF 1900 aka La leggenda del pianista sull’oceano d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1998 at BFI (21 AUG 11:50).
- MATEWAN 4K d. John Sayles, 1987 at BFI (21 AUG 12:20).
- MATTHEW BARNEY’S CREMASTER CYCLE: CREMASTER 4, 1, 5 & 2 at Picturehouse Cinemas (21 AUG various).
- MCCABE & MRS. MILLER d. Robert Altman, 1971 at ICA (21 AUG 13:30).
- MCCABE & MRS. MILLER d. Robert Altman, 1971 + Intro by Caitlin Quinlan at Riverside Studios (21 AUG 14:30).
- MODERN TIMES d. Charles Chaplin, 1936 at The Prince Charles (21 AUG 11:45).
- NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 at BFI (daily until 26 AUG various times).
- THE ORPHANAGE aka Parwareshghah d. Shahrbanoo Sadat, 2019 at ICA (21 AUG 18:10).
- THE PRINCE OF NOTHINGWOOD d. Sonia Kronlund, 2021 at ICA (21 AUG 20:30).
- THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH & ESSEX 35MM d. Michael Curtiz, 1939 at BFI (21 AUG 11:40).
- SPECTRE d. Sam Mendes, 2015 at The Prince Charles (21 AUG 17:00).
- THUNDERCRACK! d. Curt McDowell, 1975 + Intro by Jane Giles at BFI Southbank (21 AUG 17:00).
- TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA 4K d. Don Siegel, 1970 at BFI (21 AUG 20:30).
- THE STORY OF A THREE DAY PASS 4K aka La Permission d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1968 at BFI (21 AUG 20:50).
- AMÉLIE d. Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (21 AUG 20:30).
- BABE d. Chris Noonan, 1995 presented by Stow Film Lounge at Pimp Hall Park, Chingford E4 (21 AUG 15:30+ – FREE!/No booking required).
- BRIDESMAIDS d. Paul Feig, 2011 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (21 AUG 20:15).
- THE GREATEST SHOWMAN d. Michael Gracey, 2017 at The Luna Cinema at Chiswick House (21 AUG 20:15).
- MYSTERY FILM voted for by the public & presented by Stow Film Lounge at Pimp Hall Park, Chingford E4 (21 AUG 18:30+ – FREE!/No booking required).
A SONG CALLED HATE d. Anna Hildur Hildibrandsdóttir, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse (daily 20 to 26 AUG).
- Also (20 to 26 AUG various dates/times): NEW ORDER aka Nuevo orden d. Michel Franco, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière (from 25 AUG) / ICA // THE NIGHT HOUSE d. David Bruckner, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema // SABAYA d. Hogir Hirori, 2021 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Bertha DocHouse / Picturehouse Cinemas // UNDERGROUND aka Souterrain d. Sophie Dupuis, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas.
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.