SATURDAY 23 OCTOBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
The Liberated Film Club vs. Important Books (or, Manifestos Read by Children) at LUX (23 OCT 15:00 – FREE!) followed by TWILIGHT d. György Fehér, 1990 + The Liberated Film Club Book Launch at Close-Up (23 OCT 20:15).
- “Edited by Stanley Schtinter, The Liberated Film Club is a collection of transcriptions and special commissions anchored by a series of screening events held at Close-Up, from 2016 to 2020. A guest would be invited to introduce a film; an audience seated to watch it through. Neither of them would have any idea what would be shown. This event at LUX will pit the celebration of The Liberated Film Club against another Schtinter initiative: Important Books (or, Manifestos Read by Children). Children will be present to read various manifestos on cinema, including works by Werner Herzog, Peggy Ahwesh, Jean Marie Straub, Yvonne Rainer and Pope Pius XI. Followed by the premiere of the remastered TWILIGHT aka Szürkület, György Fehér’s 1990 cult film at Close-Up.”
- ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN d. Charles Barton, 1948 at The Prince Charles (23 OCT 12:30).
- ALEX WHEATLE d. Steve McQueen, 2020 at BFI (23 OCT 20:45).
- A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET d. Wes Craven, 1984 at Rivoli Ballroom (23 OCT 17:00).
- ANOTE’S ARK d. Matthieu Rytz, 2018 at Bertha DocHouse (23 OCT 18:20).
- A PAGE OF MADNESS aka Kurutta ichipeiji d. Teinosuke Kinugasa, 1926 at BFI (23 OCT 13:00).
- BABYMOTHER d. Julian Henriques, 1998 + Intro by actor Anjela Lauren Smith at South London Gallery (23 OCT 18:00).
- Bava Time! SHOCK + MACABRE d. Mario Bava, 1977 + Lamberto Bava, 1980 presented by World Wide Weird at The King & Queen (23 OCT 18:30 + 21:00 – FREE!/Donations for Macmillan Cancer Support).
- BODY DOUBLE 35mm d. Brian De Palma, 1984 at The Prince Charles (23 OCT 20:45).
- DEATH BECOMES HER 35mm d. Robert Zemeckis, 1992 at The Prince Charles (23 OCT 18:10).
- THE ELEPHANT MAN (4K RESTORATION) d. David Lynch, 1980 at Riverside Studios (23 OCT 12:00).
- EPISODE 1 d. Renzo Martens, 2003 at ICA (23 OCT 15:00).
- THE EXORCIST 35mm d. William Friedkin, 1973 at The Prince Charles (23 OCT 12:40).
- HARD LABOUR d. Mike Leigh, 1973 at BFI (23 OCT 15:10).
- HOCUS POCUS 35mm d. Kenny Ortega, 1993 at The Prince Charles (23 OCT 15:45).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at BFI (23 OCT 20:50).
- I WAS BORN, BUT… aka Otona no miru ehon – Umarete wa mita keredo d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1932 at BFI (23 OCT 15:00).
- THE KISS OF DEATH d. Mike Leigh, 1977 at BFI (23 OCT 12:50).
- The Liberated Film Club vs. Important Books (or, Manifestos Read by Children) at LUX (23 OCT 15:00 – FREE!) followed by TWILIGHT d. György Fehér, 1990 + The Liberated Film Club Book Launch at Close-Up (23 OCT 20:15).
- LÉON MORIN, PRIEST d. Jean-Pierre Melville, 1961 at Close-Up (23 OCT 16:00).
- The Live Ghost Tent – Quarterly Meeting of the Laurel & Hardy Society at The Cinema Museum (23 OCT 15:00).
- The Making of SMALL AXE with Steve McQueen, Tracey Scoffield, David Tanner & guests at BFI (23 OCT 16:00).
- MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS d. Sidney Lumet, 1974 at BFI (23 OCT 17:30).
- NOVEMBER d. Rainer Sarnet, 2017 at Catford Mews (23 OCT 20:30).
- RADIO DAYS 35mm d. Woody Allen, 1987 at BFI (23 OCT 13:20).
- RED, WHITE AND BLUE d. Steve McQueen, 2020 at BFI (23 OCT 18:30).
- THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW d. Jim Sharman, 1975 at Rivoli Ballroom (23 OCT 20:00).
- THE SHINING [UK Version] 35mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 at The Prince Charles (23 OCT 20:30).
- WEST END JUNGLE d. Arnold L Miller, 1961 at BFI (23 OCT 20:40).
- Brazil Indigenous Film Festival (22 to 24 OCT).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (28 OCT to 14 NOV).
- London East Asia Film Festival (21 to 31 OCT).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Raindance Film Festival (27 OCT to 06 NOV).
- Sci-Fi-London 21 (19 to 24 OCT).
- Short Com Film Festival (28 OCT 20:30).
DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021.
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / BFI IMAX / The Castle / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Kino Digital / The Lexi / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Regent Street Cinema / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
SCREAM 35mm d. Wes Craven, 1996.
- Also (22 to 28 OCT various dates/times): PLAYLIST d. Nine Antico, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas // SMOG TOWN d. Meng Han, 2019 at: Bertha DocHouse // WHITE CUBE d. Renzo Martens, 2020 at: ICA.
- Ryan Ninesling presents HUMAN RESOURCES at Close-Up & Genesis Cinema (03 to 14 DEC 2021).
- Musical Sunday presents THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL at The Cinema Museum (05 DEC 2021).
- Double Wonderful presents Video Expert 1 at Venue MOT Unit 18 (07 DEC 2021).
- The Care-fuffle Collective presents REPEATED APPARITIONS at The Horse Hospital (18 NOV to 16 DEC 2021).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.