SATURDAY 25 MARCH 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
CHARACTER d. Paul Heintz, 2021 + Intro by the director & discussion with some of the film’s participants & crew, presented by Storming Heaven at Close-Up (25 MAR 20:15).
“Close-up and Storming Heaven present a special screening in collaboration with Fluxus and The French Cultural Institute for the UK premiere of Paul Heintz’s Character (2021). The English telephone directory currently lists twenty-five people living in London called Winston Smith, the protagonist of George Orwell’s 1984. The film invites us to explore the potential tacit connections among these namesakes to map the reverberations of Orwell’s dystopian vision into the contemporary. Character reflects on the tenuous movement between the individual and the collective, the private and the political.” (Close-Up)
The screening will be followed by a discussion with some of the featured Winston Smiths and the crew.
- CHARACTER d. Paul Heintz, 2021 + Intro by the director & discussion with some of film’s participants & crew, presented by Storming Heaven at Close-Up (25 MAR 20:15).
- UK Premiere: MERCY LAND d. Simon Rickards, 2023 + Q&A at The David Lean Cinema (25 MAR 19:00).
- Talkies Short Film Commissions Premiere at St John’s Hall (25 MAR 19:30).
- THE WATER RATS d. Jillian Edelstein & Greig Coetzee at The Lexi Cinema (25 MAR 16:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- PULP FICTION 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 (25 MAR 18:00).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (25 MAR 12:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 4 d. Chad Stahelski, 2023 (23 to 30 MAR).
1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY at The Garden Cinema
- NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 (25 MAR 12:15).
- THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE d. John Huston, 1948 (25 MAR 13:05).
- RIFIFI d. Jules Dassin, 1955 (25 MAR 14:45).
- BADLANDS d. Terrence Malick, 1973 (25 MAR 15:40).
- DEAD OF NIGHT d. Various, 1945 (25 MAR 17:10).
- LATE SPRING d. Yasujiro Ozu, 1949 (25 MAR 17:45).
- CINEMA PARADISO d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 + Members’ Party (25 MAR 20:30).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 (25 MAR 15:45).
COEN BROTHERS ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN 35mm d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 2007 (25 MAR 22:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
- RADIO ON + DISCONTENT d. Chris Petit, 1979 + 2023, fundraiser screening (25 MAR 18:15).
MOIS DE LA FRANCOPHONIE 2023 at Ciné Lumière
- THE BEASTS aka As bestas d. Rodrigo Sorogoyen, 2022 (23 MAR to 02 APR).
- THE FIVE DEVILS aka Les cinq diables dir. Léa Mysius, 2022 (24 MAR to 06 APR).
- NORBOURG d. Maxime Giroux, 2022 (25 MAR 16:00).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (25 MAR 14:30 – 4K).
- BFI Flare (15 to 26 MAR).
- Do More Movement Film Festival (30 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (25 to 31 MAR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (18 to 31 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (16 to 26 MAR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- RAI Film Festival (03 to 31 MAR).
- TNB Xpo 2023 (29 to 31 MAR).
- WatchAUT 2023 (23 to 26 MAR).
Also 24 to 30 MAR (various dates/times):
- 1976 dir. Manuela Martelli, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI Southbank / Curzon Cinemas / ICA.
- A COMPASSIONATE SPY dir. Steve James, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- A GOOD PERSON dir. Zach Braff, 2023 at: The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- THE COW WHO SANG A SONG INTO THE FUTURE d. Francisca Alegría, 2022 at: The Garden Cinema.
- DANCE CRAZE dir. Joe Massot, 1981 at (limited engagements!): ArtHouse Crouch End / Chiswick Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.