SATURDAY 27 MAY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Josie Ho In Focus: HABIT [International Version] d. Janell Shirtcliff, 2021 + Q&A with Josie Ho at The Prince Charles (27 MAY 17:30).
“HABIT, THE INTERNATIONAL VERSION is re-cut by Oscar-winning Hong Kong Art Director William Chang, who is known for his contribution to films by Wong Kar-Wai including those darlings of The Prince Charles Cinema, IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE, 2046, THE GRAND MASTER, FALLEN ANGELS, THE ASHES OF TIME and many more.”
“Appearing in the public for the first time ever, the International Version of Habit provides a once-in-a-life-time unique East-meets-West experience of this latest cult gem featuring Josie Ho, Bella Thorne, Andreja Pejic and Libby Mintz, directed by Janell Shirtcliff.”
- Josie Ho In Focus: HABIT [International Version] d. Janell Shirtcliff, 2021 + Q&A with Josie Ho at The Prince Charles (27 MAY 17:30).
- MASTER GARDENER dir Paul Schrader, 2023 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Rio Cinema (27 MAY 17:00).
- Oh What A Carry On or Carry On Up The Cinema Museum III presented by Robert Ross at The Cinema Museum (27 MAY 12:00).
- RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA d. Stephen Nomura Schible, 2017 at The Garden Cinema (27 MAY 16:00).
- World Premiere: Straight 8 2023 Top 25 short film programme at BFI Southbank (27 MAY 18:00).
- TOP GUN: MAVERICK d. Joseph Kosinski, 2022 outdoors at St George’s Garrison, Woolwich (27 MAY 18:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THE CONVERSATION 35mm d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 (27 MAY 17:45).
- KOYAANISQATSI: LIFE OUT OF BALANCE 35mm d. Godfrey Reggio, 1982 (27 MAY 20:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- THE LITTLE MERMAID d. Rob Marshall, 2023 (25 MAY to 01 JUN).
- COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER: INTERSTELLAR IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (27 MAY 20:30).
3x LYNCH at ICA
- LOST HIGHWAY d. David Lynch, 1997 (27 MAY 20:30).
ALFRED HITCHCOCK: ACT 1 – 1927 TO 1945 at The Garden Cinema
- THE LODGER d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1927 + Intro by John Wischmeyer (27 MAY 18:45).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- ANIME ALL-NIGHTER (27 MAY 23:00 – 4K).
ARROW VIDEO CULT FILM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- WITHNAIL AND I d. Bruce Robinson, 1987 (27 MAY 19:30).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- LETTER TO JANE: AN INVESTIGATION ABOUT A STILL d. Jean-Luc Godard & Jean-Pierre Gorin, 1972 (27 MAY 18:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- DANCE, GIRL, DANCE 35mm d. Dorothy Arzner, 1940 (27 MAY 16:00).
- PERSEPOLIS d. Marjane Satrapi & Vincent Parronaud, 2007 (27 MAY 18:10).
- L’ARGENT aka Money d. Robert Bresson, 1983 (27 MAY 20:40).
THE CINEMA OF CHRISTOPHER NOLAN ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- BATMANS BEGINS 35mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2005 (27 MAY 22:30).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- LABYRINTH d. Jim Henson, 1986 (27 MAY 12:15).
- BACK TO THE FUTURE d. Robert Zemeckis, 1985 (27 MAY 14:45).
CINEMATIC SORCERESS: THE FILMS OF NINA MENKES at BFI Southbank
- THE BLOODY CHILD 4K Restoration d. Nina Menkes, 1996 (27 MAY 13:40).
COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER at BFI IMAX
- INTERSTELLAR IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (27 MAY 20:30).
DARIO ARGENTO: DOORS INTO DARKNESS at BFI Southbank
- SLEEPLESS aka Non ho sonno 4K Restoration d. Dario Argento, 2001 (27 MAY 17:45).
- OPERA 4K Restoration d. Dario Argento, 1987 (27 MAY 20:45).
DISLOCATION BLUES at Tate Modern
- Saodat Ismailova (27 MAY 11:00).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
- MULHOLLAND DR. d. David Lynch, 2001 (27 MAY 20:15).
FORGOTTEN TELEVISION DRAMA: REDISCOVERING THE HALF-HOUR PLAY at BFI Southbank
- Experimental Half-Hours (27 MAY 15:45).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
MUKHRIJAT: ARAB WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Garden Cinema
- THE BLUE CAFTAN d. Maryam Touzani, 2022 (27 MAY 15:30).
MURIEL BOX: A WOMAN’S TAKE at BFI Southbank
- THIS OTHER EDEN d. Muriel Box, 1959 (27 MAY 13:45).
PERANKH: THE JUNE GIVANNI PANAFRICAN CINEMA ARCHIVE at Raven Row Gallery
- LA VIEILLE QUIMBOISEUSE ET LE MAJORDOME aka The Old Sorceress and the Valet d. Julius-Amédée Laou, 1987 + Intro (27 MAY 18:30 – FREE!).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME at Picturehouse Cinemas
- MULHOLLAND DR. d. David Lynch, 2001 (27 MAY various).
SPOTLIGHT ON FEMALE FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2020 (27 MAY 20:00).
THE THREE COLOURS TRILOGY at BFI Southbank
- THREE COLOURS: BLUE d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993 (26 MAY to 01 JUN).
- THREE COLOURS: WHITE d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 (26 MAY to 01 JUN).
- THREE COLOURS: RED d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 (26 MAY to 01 JUN).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (27 MAY 12:30).
Check venues for full listings…
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
- NOTTING HILL (27 MAY 13:15).
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (27 MAY 17:00).
- ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY (27 MAY 21:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- SPICE WORLD (27 MAY 21:00).
- Odyssey Film Festival (26 MAY to 30 JUN).
- Sci-Fi London (31 MAY to 06 JUN).
- Spanish Spring Weekend (01 to 04 JUN).
Also 26 MAY to 01 JUN (various dates/times):
- HYPNOTIC d. Robert Rodriguez, 2023 at: Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Power Station / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- INLAND EMPIRE 4K Restoration d. David Lynch, 2006 at (some limited dates): Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Rio Cinema.
- PARADISE d. Alexander Abaturov, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.