SATURDAY 27 NOVEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
BELLE: THE DRAGON & THE FRECKLED PRINCESS d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 + Q&A with the director presented by Anime Limited and The Japan Foundation at Picturehouse Central (27 NOV 15:00).
- “Suzu, a 17-year-old, who for years has only been a shadow of herself. One day she enters “U,” a virtual world of five billion online members, and she becomes Belle, a world-famous singer. She then meets a mysterious creature with whom she embarks on a journey of adventures, love, and self discovery.”
- After Images experimental animation programme presented by Edge Of Frame at Close-Up (27 NOV 15:00) / Part of London International Animation Festival.
- BAD LUCK BANGING OR LOONY PORN d. Radu Jude, 2021 + Recorded Q&A at Barbican (27 NOV 20:20).
- BELLE: THE DRAGON & THE FRECKLED PRINCESS d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 + Q&A with the director presented by Anime Limited and The Japan Foundation at Picturehouse Central (27 NOV 15:00).
- BOXING DAY d. Aml Ameen, 2021 + Q&A with the director Preview at BFI Southbank (27 NOV 18:30).
- BULADÓ d. Eché Janga, 2020 preview at BFI Southbank (27 NOV 15:10).
- COOL CLUB DANCERS d. Joan Littlewood, 1963, COLLECTIVE HUM d. Black Obsidian Sound System, 2019, AUDRE LORDE IN CONVERSATION WITH… d. Late Start Film & Video Collective, 1985, HOW DOES AN INVISIBLE BOY DISAPPEAR d. Rehana Zaman, Liverpool Black Women Filmmakers, 2018, + DREAMING RIVERS d. Judah (Martina) Attile, Sankofa Film & Video Collective, 1988 presented by The Habibi Collective at The Castle Cinema (27 NOV 16:00).
- DYING TO DIVORCE d. Chloe Fairweather, 2021 at Rio Cinema (27 NOV 15:45).
- ELEGANT BEAST 4k (aka The Graceful Brute) d. Yûzô Kawashima, 1962 + Recorded intro by Professor Yuka Kanno at BFI Southbank (27 NOV 18:30).
- GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES d. Isao Takahata, 1988 at The Prince Charles (27 NOV 13:00 – Sub).
- ILLUSTRIOUS CORPSES 4k aka Cadaveri eccellenti d. Francesco Rosi, 1976 at BFI Southbank (27 NOV 18:10).
- I LOVE THEE FOR GOOD + TOUCHING THE SKIN OF EERINESS + HEAVEN IS STILL FAR AWAY d. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi, 2009 + 2013 + 2016 at Close-Up (27 NOV 20:00).
- LIFE IS SWEET d. Mike Leigh, 1990 at Riverside Studios (27 NOV 14:00).
- THE LONG GOODBYE d. Robert Altman, 1973 at BFI Southbank (27 NOV 20:40).
- MISSING BELIEVED WIPED at BFI Southbank: Session 1: The London Palladium Show (27 NOV 13:00); Session 2: Introducing ‘The Precious Things’: Holiday Startime (27 NOV 15:50).
- MR. TURNER d. Mike Leigh, 2014 at BFI Southbank (27 NOV 17:30).
- MYSTERY MOVIE MARATHON 5 Mystery Films, 1 Ticket at The Prince Charles (27 NOV 21:15).
- NAKED: 4K RESTORATION d. Mike Leigh, 1993 + Q&A with the director at Ciné Lumière (27 NOV 19:00).
- NICOLAS CAGE MARATHON 5 films, 1 ticket! at The Prince Charles (27 NOV 20:30).
- PIERROT LE FOU d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1965 at Ciné Lumière (27 NOV 16:00).
- PIRATES d. Reggie Yates, 2021 + Q&A with the director & actors Elliot Edusah, Jordan Peters & Reda Elazouar at Genesis Cinema (27 NOV 18:15).
- PIRATES d. Reggie Yates, 2021 + Q&A with the director & the cast at Picturehouse Hackney (27 NOV 20:40).
- SECRETS & LIES d. Mike Leigh, 1996 at BFI Southbank (27 NOV 15:00).
- THRONE OF BLOOD aka Kumonosu-jô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1957 at BFI Southbank (27 NOV 20:50).
- MOVING IMAGE SALON with LINDSAY SEERS presented by Daniel & Clara / Moving Image Artists free online event (27 NOV 14:00 – FREE!).
- Frames Of Representation (25 NOV to 04 DEC).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- London Baltic Film Festival (27 to 28 NOV).
- London International Animation Festival (26 NOV to 05 DEC).
- London Migration Film Festival (25 NOV to 01 DEC).
- London Palestine Film Festival (19 NOV to 03 DEC).
- Made In Prague Festival (07 NOV to 10 DEC).
- Russian Film Week (28 NOV to 05 DEC).
- Soho Horror Film Festival (26 to 28 NOV).
- Ukranian Film Festival (22 NOV to 06 DEC).
THE FIRST WAVE d. Matthew Heineman, 2021.
- Various venues, inc: Peckhamplex
HOUSE OF GUCCI d. Ridley Scott, 2021.
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Cinema in the Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / JW3 / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Cinema / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
Also (26 NOV to 02 DEC various dates/times):
- 14 PEAKS: NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE d. Torquil Jones, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- BAD LUCK BANGING OR LOONY PORN d. Radu Jude, 2021 at: Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Rio Cinema.
- FALLEN ANGELS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 at: The Prince Charles.
- JFK REVISITED: THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS d. Oliver Stone, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- LAPWING d. Philip Stevens, 2020 at: Rio Cinema.
- PIRATES d. Reggie Yates, 2021 at: Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Rich Mix.
- THE SUMMIT OF THE GODS d. Patrick Imbert, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- THE UNFORGIVABLE d. Nora Fingscheidt, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- BIG BOYS DON’T CRY + Q&A raising funds for NAPAC at Everyman Borough Yards (03 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.