SATURDAY 28 MAY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
TEOREMA 35mm d. Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1968 + Live music by Marta Salogni presented by Wonder Reels at The Cinema Museum (28 MAY 19:30).
“Wonder Reels return to the Cinema Museum with their unique events featuring live performances from outstanding London musicians followed by a 35mm screening of a full feature film chosen with the artist in mind.”
“The event will start with a performance by artist Marta Salogni who duets with tape machines, using them as instruments to weave intricate mazes of tape loops and echoes through the manipulation of both live and recorded sounds.”
“The concert will be followed by a 35mm projection of Pasolini’s 1968 masterpiece TEOREMA, in which a beautiful stranger destroys the bourgeois world of a Milanese family. This is an original print, so as was the practice at the time, this is an English language dubbed version.”
- DRACULA d. Terence Fisher, 1958 presented by Habitats & Heritage at Grove Gardens Chapel TW10 (28 MAY 20:00).
- IN A SILENT WAY d. Gwenaël Breës, 2021 + Recorded Q&A presented by Doc’N Roll at The Castle Cinema (28 MAY 16:15).
- LUZZU dir Alex Camilleri, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Picturehouse Cinemas (28 MAY various).
- RESISTANCES: WORDS AND ART FOR FIGHTING POLITICAL DEFAMATION + Debate with Jean Wyllys, Marcia Tiburi, Wagner Schwartz & Debora Diniz, moderated by Victor Fraga from DMovies at Rich Mix (28 MAY 15:00).
- TEOREMA 35mm d. Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1968 + Live music by Marta Salogni presented by Wonder Reels at The Cinema Museum (28 MAY 19:30).
- VAMPYR d. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1932 at ICA (28 MAY 14:45 / 29 MAY 14:45 / 31 MAY 17:00 / 01 JUN 16:45).
Check venues for full listings…
007 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- LICENCE TO KILL d. John Glen, 1989 (28 MAY 15:05 – 4K + Q&A with Stunt Coordinator Paul Weston for the Really 007 podcast).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- TOKYO GODFATHERS aka Tôkyô Goddofâzâzu d. Satoshi Kon, 2003 (28 MAY 12:30).
- THE GIRL WHO LEPT THROUGH TIME aka Toki o Kakeru Shôjo d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2006 (28 MAY 14:50).
- SUMMER WARS aka Samâ Uôzu d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2009 (28 MAY 18:00).
- WOLF CHILDREN aka Ôkami kodomo no Ame to Yuki d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2012 (28 MAY 20:40).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- LOST ILLUSIONS aka Les Illusions perdues d. Xavier Giannoli, 2021 (28 MAY 15:45).
- HAPPENING aka L’événement d. Audrey Diwan, 2021 (28 MAY 20:50).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG aka Les Parapluies de Cherbourg d. Jacques Demy, 1964 (28 MAY 18:15).
CATALAN CINEMA NOW! IDENTITIES at ICA
- SANMO: THE DESERT BRIDE aka Sanmao: La novia del desierto d. Ana Pérez de la Fuente & Marta Arribas, 2020 (28 MAY 20:40).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- THE MALTESE FALCON d. John Huston, 1941 (28 MAY 20:00).
CELEBRATING SIDNEY POITIER at The Garden Cinema
- THE DEFIANT ONES d. Stanley Kramer, 1958 (28 MAY 17:55).
CRUEL FLESH: FILMS OF THE NEW FRENCH EXTREMITY at BFI Southbank
- HIGH TENSION (aka Switchblade Romance) aka Haute Tension d. Alexandre Aja, 2003 (28 MAY 12:20).
- POLA X 35mm d. Leos Carax, 1999 (28 MAY 17:50).
- MARTYRS d. Pascal Laugier, 2008 (28 MAY 20:50).
- Talks etc: Horror à la Française recorded panel discussion (online 11 to 31 MAY).
#EXPLOREFRANCE – CÔTE D’AZUR at Ciné Lumière
- BY THE FRENCH RIVIERA: ICONIC SHORT FILMS (28 MAY 16:45).
- TO CATCH A THIEF d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1955 (28 MAY 17:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- SALESMAN d. David Maysles, Albert Maysles & Charlotte Zwerin, 1969 (28 MAY 18:30).
- BEAU TRAVAIL d. Claire Denis, 1999 (28 MAY 20:15).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY – EXTENDED EDITIONS 4K (28 MAY 21:30).
- MYSTERY MOVIE MARATHON 5 Mystery Films, 1 Ticket (28 MAY 21:45).
NICHOLAS CAGE 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- THE ROCK 35mm d. Michael Bay, 1996 (28 MAY 23:00).
PRE-CODE HOLLYWOOD at The Prince Charles
- A STAR IS BORN d. William A. Wellman, 1937 (28 MAY 12:30).
RETURN OF THE OUTSIDER: THE FILMS OF MIKE HODGES at BFI Southbank
- Re-releases: GET CARTER 4K Restoration d. Mike Hodges, 1971 (until 09 JUN).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (28 MAY 19:00 – 4K).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- JERRY MAGUIRE (28 MAY 21:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE (28 MAY 21:00).
PSYCHO dir. Alfred Hitchcock, 1960:
- Various venues, inc: The Garden Cinema
- Also 27 MAY to 02 JUN (various dates/times): ARICA d. Lars Edman & William Johansson Kalén, 2022 at: The Lexi Cinema // BETWEEN TWO WORLDS aka Ouistreham d. Emmanuel Carrère, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA // LANCASTER d. David Fairhead & Ant Palmer, 2022 at: Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas // ONLY THE DEVIL LIVES WITHOUT HOPE d. Magnus Gertten, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Zodiac Film Club x Final Girls Berlin present Sci-Fi Shorts at The Castle Cinema (24 AUG 2022)
- Bermondsey Project Space presents Loops + Q&A (13 AUG 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents THE SWORD AND THE CLAW at The Old Queen’s Head (22 AUG 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents POSSESSOR at The Castle Cinema (19 AUG 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.