SATURDAY 29 MAY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
- A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE d. Elia Kazan, 1951 at The Prince Charles (29 MAY 15:40).
- BANK JOB d. Dan Edelstyn & Hilary Powell, 2021 at Bertha DocHouse (29 MAY 15:00).
- BANK JOB d. Daniel Edelstyn, Hilary Powell, 2021 presented by DocHouse at Curzon Bloomsbury (29 MAY 15:00).
- BILLIE EILISH: THE WORLD’S A LITTLE BLURRY d. R.J. Cutler, 2021 at Archlight (29 MAY 16:30).
- … BUT THEN. SHE’S BETTY CARTER d. Michelle Parkerson, 1980 + GOTTA MAKE THIS JOURNEY: SWEET HONEY IN THE ROCK d. Joseph Camp, 1983 at BFI Southbank (29 MAY 12:10).
- CITIZEN KANE 35MM d. Orson Welles, 1941 at The Prince Charles (29 MAY 13:00)
- COLLECTIVE d. Alexander Nanau, 2020 at Bertha Doghouse (29 MAY 20:20).
- FOOTLOOSE d. Herbert Ross, 1984 + Pre-recorded intro by director Francis Lee at BFI Southbank (29 MAY 18:00).
- THE GENERAL 4K d. Buster Keaton & Clyde Bruckman, 1926 + live piano accompaniment by Neil Brand + Intro by Stuart Brown, BFI Head of Programme and Acquistions at BFI Southbank (29 MAY 12:45).
- GREASE d. Randal Kleiser, 1978 at Backyard Cinema (29 MAY 16:30).
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY d. James Gunn, 2014 at Backyard Cinema (29 MAY 16:00).
- THE HUMAN VOICE d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2020 + Intro by Joana Granero & Maria Delgado + Recorded Q&A at Ciné Lumière (29 MAY 16:10) / Part of Spanish Film Festival Spring Weekend.
- THE INNOCENCE d. Lucia Alemany, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (29 MAY 20:45) / Part of Spanish Film Festival Spring Weekend.
- LA HAINE 4K d. Mathieu Kassovitz, 1995 at BFI Southbank (29 MAY 21:00).
- THE LION KING d. Jon Favreau, 2019 at Backyard Cinema (29 MAY 12:30).
- MAGIC MIKE d. Steven Soderbergh, 2012 at Backyard Cinema (29 MAY 20:30).
- M*A*S*H d. Robert Altman, 1970 at BFI Southbank (29 MAY 20:45).
- MEMORIES OF MY FATHER d. Fernando Trueba, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (29 MAY 17:50) / Part of Spanish Film Festival Spring Weekend.
- MOANA d. Ron Clements, John Musker, Don Hall & Chris Williams, 2016 at Backyard Cinema (29 MAY 12:00).
- MOULIN ROUGE! d. Baz Luhrmann, 2001 at Backyard Cinema (29 MAY 20:00).
- NIRVANA INN d. Vijay Jayapal, 2019 + Recorded Q&A at Rich Mix (29 MAY 20:30) / Part of UK Asian Film Festival.
- PROFESSOR SHONKU AND EL DORADO d. Sandip Ray, 2019 + Recorded Q&A at Rich Mix (29 MAY 17:15) / Part of UK Asian Film Festival.
- STATE FUNERAL d. Sergei Loznitsa, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (29 MAY 15:45).
- STRAY d. Elizabeth Lo, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse (29 MAY 13:00).
- THAT COLD DAY IN THE PARK 35MM d. Robert Altman, 1969 at BFI Southbank (29 MAY 17:50);
- TRUE ROMANCE 35MM d. Tony Scott, 1993 at The Prince Charles (29 MAY 18:25).
- UNDERGODS d. Chino Moya, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Rio Cinema (29 MAY 18:00).
- LA COMMUNE (PARIS, 1871) d. Peter Watkins, 2000 presented by Alt/Kino online (28 to 30 MAY – FREE using code MAY1871).
- 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU d. Gil Junger, 1999 at Drive In Film Club at Alexandra Palace (29 MAY 17:00).
- THE ADDAMS FAMILY d. Barry Sonnenfeld, 1991 at Drive In Film Club at Alexandra Palace (29 MAY 14:00).
- CLUELESS d. Amy Heckerling, 1995 at Drive In Film Club at Brent Cross (29 MAY 20:00).
- EDWARD SCISSORHANDS d. Tim Burton, 1990 at Drive In Film Club at Brent Cross (29 MAY 17:00).
- HOME ALONE d. Chris Columbus, 1990 at Drive In Film Club at Brent Cross (29 MAY 14:00).
- JURASSIC PARK d. Steven Spielberg, 1993 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (29 MAY 21:00).
- MORTAL KOMBAT d. Simon McQuoid, 2021 at The Drive In at Troubadour Meridian Water (29 MAY 18:00).
- PULP FICTION Quentin Tarantino, 1994 at Drive In Film Club at Alexandra Palace (29 MAY 20:15);
- QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at The Drive In at Troubadour Meridian Water (29 MAY 21:00).
- SOUND OF METAL d. Darius Marder, 2019 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (29 MAY 21:00).
- Chronic Youth Film Festival (01 APR to 03 JUN)
- Kinoteka: The 19th Polish Film Festival (06 MAY to 04 JUN 2021)
- Spanish Spring Weekend from the London Spanish Film Festival (28 to 30 MAY)
- UK Asian Film Festival (26 MAY to 06 JUN). READ MORE
BATTLE ROYALE aka Batoru rowaiaru d. Kinji Fukasaku, 2000 at The Prince Charles (daily to 03 JUN).
Featured Attraction Of The Week! FIRST COW d. Kelly Reichardt, 2019 (daily to 03 JUN, almost everywhere!)
- Also (other venues may be available!): THE 8TH d. Aideen Kane, Lucy Kennedy & Maeve O’Boyle, 2020 at The Castle Cinema (until 03 JUN // BANK JOB d. Daniel Edelstyn, Hilary Powell, 2021 at ArtHouse (until 03 JUN) // DEMON SLAYER: MUGEN TRAIN d. Haruo Sotozaki, 2020 at Genesis Cinema (until 03 JUN) // FRANKIE d. Ira Sachs, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (until 03 JUN) // SISTERS WITH TRANSISTORS d. Lisa Rovner, 2020 at Catford Mews (until 03 JUN).
- Zodiac Film Club x Final Girls Berlin present Sci-Fi Shorts at The Castle Cinema (24 AUG 2022)
- Bermondsey Project Space presents Loops + Q&A (13 AUG 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents THE SWORD AND THE CLAW at The Old Queen’s Head (22 AUG 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents POSSESSOR at The Castle Cinema (19 AUG 2022).
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.