SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 01.11.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: Armistice: MAUDITE SOIT LA GUERRE + LIVE SCORE played by London Sinfonietta at Queen Elizabeth Hall (01 NOV 19:30): Nearly 100 years after its release, an early pacifist film – released in 1914 just one month before the outbreak of the First World War – is brought to life with a score by Olga Neuwirth.
Planning ahead? We’ve published our RADIANT CIRCUS roundup of repertory seasons and film festivals projecting this NOVEMBER.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Armistice: MAUDITE SOIT LA GUERRE + LIVE SCORE played by London Sinfonietta at Queen Elizabeth Hall (01 NOV 19:30):
- Nearly 100 years after its release, an early pacifist film – released in 1914 just one month before the outbreak of the First World War – is brought to life with a score by Olga Neuwirth.
EVE’S BAYOU + INTRO by Kelli Weston at Genesis Cinema (01 NOV 18:30):
- Reel Good Film Club presents: Over the course of a long, hot Louisiana summer, a 10-year-old black girl, Eve Batiste, discovers that her family’s affluent existence is merely a facade. The philandering of her suave doctor father, Louis, creates a rift, throwing Eve’s mother, Roz, and teenage sister, Cisely, into emotional turmoil.
LOOKING FOR CHARLIE + Q&A with directors Darren R. Reid & Brett Sanders at The Cinema Museum (01 NOV 19:30):
- A candid look behind the scenes of the silent era which delves into the ways in which the legends we celebrate – Chaplin, Buster Keaton – are built upon much more complex, much more human stories. It is a film about superstardom and obscurity, the highs and lows of Hollywood, and the thin line between genius and despair.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A QUIET PLACE presented by Stow Film Lounge at Wild Card Brewery (01 NOV 20:00).
- A SIMPLE FAVOUR at The David Lean (01 NOV 14:30 & 19:30).
- COLD WAR at Ciné Lumière (01 NOV 18:30).
- CRIES AND WHISPERS aka Viskningar och rop at BFI (01 NOV 20:50).
- Experimenta Salon: DON’T YOU WANT ME + PANEL with directors/producers Steve & Siobhan Barron at BFI Southbank (01 NOV 19:30).
- FANON, YESTERDAY, TODAY + Q&A with director Hassane Mezine at Rich Mix (01 NOV 19:30).
- IN BETWEEN presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Dugdale Centre (01 NOV 19:45).
- INVISIBLE BRITAIN + Q&A/BOOK LAUNCH with director Paul Sng & guests at Curzon Soho (01 NOV 18:25).
- MATANGI | MAYA | M.I.A presented by Dogwoof at House Of Vans (01 NOV 19:00 – Free!).
- POSSUM presented by Big Picture Film Club at Genesis Cinema (01 NOV 21:00).
- Serpentine Cinema: ON EARTH, STRUCTURE & SADNESS at Peckhamplex (01 NOV 20:30).
- WALKING INDIA presented by Whirled Docs at Whirled Cinema (01 NOV 20:00).
- THE WINGS OF THE DOVE 35mm + Q&A with director Iain Softly & writer Hossein Amini at The Prince Charles (01 NOV 20:35).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ANIMATION 2018 at BFI Southbank (2018):
- BOB GODFREY’S GREAT + Q&A with Tom Lowe and guests (01 NOV 18:20).
A SPIKE LEE MIXTAPE at Deptford Cinema (11 to 26 OCT):
- INSIDE MAN (01 NOV 19:00).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- OVERBOARD 35mm (01 NOV 20:40).
JEAN COCTEAU RETROSPECTIVE at Ciné Lumière (23 OCT to 18 NOV):
- ORPHÉE (01 NOV 16:00).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- René Clair Double-bill: PARIS QUI DORT 35mm + LE VOYAGE IMAGINAIRE 35mm + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Stephen Horne (01 NOV 17:50).
- ORPHÉE (01 NOV 14:30, 18:40 & 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (01 to 18 NOV).
- London East Asia Film Festival (25 OCT to 04 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (01 to 25 NOV).
- UK Iranian Film Festival (26 OCT to 05 NOV).
- Unrestricted View Horror Film Festival (29 OCT to 04 NOV).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
POSSUM at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 NOV 14:15 & 21:20):
- Together with Possum, a hideous hand-puppet, disgraced puppeteer Philip returns to his childhood home. Staying with his cruel stepfather, Maurice, Philip soon discovers that ridding himself of Possum is no easy task. A truly creepy British horror from the visionary mind behind GARTH MERENGHI’S DARKPLACE.
UTØYA – JULY 22 at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 NOV 12:05 & 16:20):
- Seven years ago on 22 July, more than 500 teenagers at a left-wing political summer camp on a small island outside Oslo, Norway, were targeted by armed right-wing extremist Anders Breivik; an attack that ultimately left 69 people, most of them children, dead.
WORLDS OF URSULA K. LE GUIN at DocHouse (01 NOV 14:30):
- This inspiring documentary looks at the power of science fiction as an art form through one of its foremothers, exploring Le Guin’s life through the prism of the magical worlds she created.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 1945 at JW3 (28 Oct to 01 NOV). BAD REPUTATION at Picturehouse Central (26 OCT to 01 NOV). THE DEMINER at The Montpellier (28 OCT to 07 NOV). DOGMAN at Ciné Lumière (26 OCT to 06 NOV). DON’T WORRY, HE WON’T GET FAR ON FOOT at Peckhamplex (26 Oct to 01 NOV). THE GUARDIANS at Whirled Cinema (29 OCT to 04 NOV). MANDY at The Castle (26 to 29 OCT). SHIRKERS at ICA (26 OCT to 01 NOV). ORPHÉE at BFI (until 01 NOV). THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD at Phoenix Cinema (26 Oct to 01 NOV).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.