NOW BOOKING: Films in London this month [NOVEMBER 2018]
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our latest SCREEN GUIDE helps you find repertory seasons & film festivals in London this month.
Find films in London this month by: SEASONS // FESTIVALS
Welcome to our NOVEMBER roundup.
Each month we look ahead to London’s MUSEUM SHOWS where you can find several attractions under one roof. Our listings are divided into repertory seasons and film festivals. We’ll keep you updated on all London’s one-off screenings including film clubs, meet the talent Q&As and other special events in our weekly digests and daily updates.
> What are you going to see?
Featured attraction: WANG BING: TRACES at Tate Modern (23 to 25 NOV): “A leading figure in documentary cinema, Wang Bing’s singular body of films witness the accelerated transformation of China’s landscape with a deep sense of intimacy and sincerity. Primarily working alone or with a very small crew, his films use natural light and long shots as they observe the everyday lives and struggles of people living on the margins of Chinese society.” – Tate.
FILMS IN LONDON THIS MONTH
REPERTORY SEASONS (A–Z)
14-18 ARMISTICE CENTENARY at Ciné Lumière (10 to 23 NOV):
- A series of cultural and academic events aiming at enlightening one of the founding times in 20th Century Europe. Includes: SHOULDER ARMS + PIANO INTRO (10 NOV 14:00); FAREWELL MY INDIAN SOLDIER + Q&A with director Vijay Singh & journalist Derek Malcolm (10 NOV 16:00); EN SORTANT DE L’ÉCOLE – APOLLINAIRE (11 NOV 11:00); LA GRANDE ILLUSION (11 NOV 14:00 / 14 NOV 16:00); and, CEASEFIRE aka Cessez le Feu (11 NOV 16:20).
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- Bringing regular 70mm presentations back to the West End with: 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm new ‘unrestored’ print (04 NOV 20:30 / 06 NOV 20:15 / 15 NOV 20:15); and, GREMLINS 70mm (17 NOV 15:40 / 20 NOV 18:30 / 25 NOV 15:35).
- We list The PCC’s anniversary & 35mm screenings in our weekly digests & daily updates.
ALL NIGHT / DAY / MINI MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- “Butt-numbing marathons” (their words…ED.) of cult, horror, themed & film franchises including: ROBOCOP TRILOGY 3 films, 1 ticket (17 NOV 21:00); WES ANDERSON MARATHON 6 films, 1 ticket (24 NOV 21:00); and, JOHN CARPENTER MARATHON 7 films, 1 ticket (24 NOV 21:15).
- Just be sure to follow the rules…
ANIMATION 2018 at BFI Southbank (2018):
- Celebrating animation in all its guises, from puppetry and stop-motion to anime and CGI. Includes: BOB GODFREY’S GREAT + Q&A with Tom Lowe & guests (01 NOV 18:20); Animation 2018 + Q&A UK premiere of new shorts (19 NOV 14:45); TV preview: THE SECRETS OF BRITISH ANIMATION + Q&A with director Seb Barfield & animator Joanna Quinn (19 NOV 18:15); TV Preview: WATERSHIP DOWN + Q&A with actor James McAvoy, screenwriter Tom Bidwell & director Noam Murro (24 NOV 11:00); WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT + Q&A with animation director Richard Williams (25 NOV 12:00); and, THE THIEF AND THE COBBLER: A MOMENT IN TIME + Q&A with director Richard Williams (25 NOV 14:45).
A SPIKE LEE MIXTAPE at Deptford Cinema (until 06 NOV):
- For Black History Month. Includes: INSIDE MAN (01 NOV 19:00); and CHI-RAQ (06 NOV 19:00).
BFI COMEDY GENIUS TOUR at The Prince Charles (18 to 23 NOV):
- The BFI’s mammoth COMEDY GENIUS strand heads out on the road, with support from the Independent Cinema Office. Includes: MONTY PYTHON & THE HOLY GRAIL (18 NOV 15:30); and COMING TO AMERICA (23 NOV 20:45).
CINÉ LUMIÈRE 20TH ANNIVERSARY at Ciné Lumière (until 28 NOV):
- Ciné Lumière celebrates its 20th anniversary in style with a series of festive screenings. Includes: RETURN OF THE HERO (08 NOV 18:30); SINK OR SWIM (09 NOV 18:20); CYRANO DE BERGERAC + Q&A with director Jean-Paul Rappeneau (14 NOV 19:30); and, LES DEMOISELLES DE ROCHEFORT + INTRO by Rosalie Varda (28 NOV 20:30).
CINEMA CLUB SELECTION at Electric Cinema Portobello (until 25 NOV):
- Bringing back some cinematic classics to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Electric Cinema Club. Includes: PERFORMANCE (11 NOV 14:00); THE RED SHOES (18 NOV 14:00); and, THE GENERAL (25 NOV 14:00).
- Discover more about the history of the Electric Cinema Club.
CLOSE-UP ON INGMAR BERGMAN at Close-Up (02 NOV to 30 DEC):
- One of the most revelatory voices to emerge from the postwar explosion of international art-house cinema, Ingmar Bergman was a master storyteller who startled the world with his stark intensity and naked pursuit of the most profound metaphysical and spiritual questions. Includes: SUMMER WITH MONIKA (02 NOV 20:15 / 10 NOV 17:30); AUTUMN SONATA (05 NOV 20:15 / 18 NOV 18:00); WILD STRAWBERRIES (11 NOV 17:30 / 16 NOV 20:15); PERSONA (12 NOV 20:15 / 19 NOV 20:15); CRIES AND WHISPERS (17 NOV 18:00 / 21 NOV 20:15 / 29 NOV 20:30); THE SEVENTH SEAL (17 NOV 20:30 / 25 NOV 20:30); THE PIANO TEACHER (18 NOV 20:10); SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT (26 NOV 20:15); and HOUR OF THE WOLF (30 NOV 20:15).
CLOSE-UP ON NURI BILGE CEYLAN at Close-Up (until 03 NOV):
- In anticipation of the UK premiere of Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s new film, THE WILD PEAR TREE, at the London Film Festival, this programme presents the Turkish auteur’s three preceding features. Includes: UZAK 35mm (03 NOV 18:00); and, CLIMATES 35mm (03 NOV 20:30).
CLOSE UP: SEBASTIÁN LELIO at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- “A compelling and urgent voice in contemporary cinema that we think you should hear.” Includes: THE SACRED FAMILY aka La Sagrada Familia (05 NOV 18:00); CHRISTMAS aka Navidad (12 NOV 20:45); A FANTASTIC WOMAN (14 NOV 20:40 / 25 NOV 20:00); THE YEAR OF THE TIGER aka El Año Del Tigre (18 NOV 20:10); and, GLORIA (30 NOV 20:40).
- DISOBEDIENCE enjoys a grind show run (30 NOV to 13 DEC).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- “Tons of side-splitting film and TV, whether you like your comedy straight-up, slapstick or smutty.” Includes: OVERBOARD 35mm (01 NOV 20:40); HIS GIRL FRIDAY (04 NOV 15:30); A CHUMP AT OXFORD 35mm (04 NOV 18:15 / 10 NOV 13:30); THE CABLE GUY (04 NOV 20:10 / 26 NOV 20:50); WHAT’S UP, DOC? 35mm (06 NOV 18:30); I LOVE LUCY clips & conversation (07 NOV 18:15); GIRLS TRIP (07 NOV 20:30); EXIT SMILING 35mm + SHE DONE HIM WRONG 35mm + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Costas Fotopoulos (09 NOV 18:05) & John Sweeney (25 NOV 13:00); AIRPLANE! (09 NOV 20:50); CARRY ON CLEO + INTRO by Amanda Barrie (10 NOV 20:20); AIRPLANE! + INTRO by comedian & actor Hattie Hayridge (10 NOV 23:10); THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN 35mm + INTRO by actor and author David Walliams (11 NOV 14:30); LADY EVE (11 NOV 17:50); DUCK SOUP (12 NOV 14:30 / 17 NOV 20:45 / 24 NOV 19:00); THE PALM BEACH STORY (12 NOV 18:20 / 18 NOV 15:40); MEAN GIRLS (13 NOV 18:10); GERT & DAISY’S WEEKEND 35mm + INTRO by Claire Mortimer (15 NOV 18:20); THE AWFUL TRUTH (17 NOV 12:50 / 25 NOV 16:00); ALL OF ME 35mm (17 NOV 18:10 / 25 NOV 20:10); HOUSE PARTY 35mm (17 NOV 23:00 / 20 NOV 20:40); THIS IS SPINAL TAP 35mm + INTRO by comedy actor-writer Morwenna Banks (22 NOV 18:10); THE JERK (23 NOV 20:40); THE YOUNG ONES + Q&A (24 NOV 13:30); THIS IS SPINAL TAP 35mm (24 NOV 23:00); and, MONSIEUR HULOT’S HOLIDAY + INTRO by Professor John Ó Maoilearca (26 NOV 18:10).
- SOME LIKE IT HOT enjoys a grind show run (02 to 18 NOV).
- Should We Still Be At It? panel discussion (10 NOV 18:10).
- The Hot Take: It’s Political Correctness Gone Mad panel discussion (14 NOV 20:10).
- The Black Comedy Revolution panel discussion (17 NOV 15:00).
- ICO Archive Screening Day: Women in Silent Film Comedy panel discussion (29 NOV 16:00); ICO Archive Screening Day: MICKEY 35mm + INTRO (29 NOV 18:10); and, ICO Archive Screening Day: EXIT SMILING + INTRO (29 NOV 20:20).
FRANKENSTEIN FOREVER at Deptford Cinema (02 to 30 NOV):
- A celebration of the cinematic legacy of Mary Shelley’s novel featuring some of the weirdest, wackiest and most bizarre films inspired by Shelley’s imagination. Includes: THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW + PARTY (02 NOV 19:00); FRANKENSTEIN UNBOUND (09 NOV 19:00); JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN’S DAUGHTER (16 NOV 19:00); FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD + INTRO by Kim Newman + QUIZ (23 NOV 19:00); and, BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR (30 NOV 19:00).
- Also MARY SHELLEY’S FRANKENSTEIN with DC Book & Film Club (11 NOV 14:30).
HAROLD & KUMAR at Deptford Cinema (22 NOV to 06 DEC):
- The Harold & Kumar Trilogy on the big screen! Includes: HAROLD & KUMAR GET THE MUNCHIES (22 NOV 19:00); and, HAROLD & KUMAR ESCAPE FROM GUANTANAMO BAY (28 NOV 19:00).
JANE FONDA: COMING OF AGE at BFI Southbank (OCT to DEC):
- This two-month season spotlight’s Fonda’s finest screen moments, from camp space adventures to tense thrillers and moving drama. Includes: CAT BALLOU 35mm (02 NOV 20:40); BARBARELLA (03 NOV 20:40); BAREFOOT IN THE PARK (04 NOV 18:00); THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON’T THEY? 35mm (12 NOV 20:30 / 15 NOV 20:30); and, KLUTE (28 NOV 20:40).
- The Many Lives of Jane Fonda panel discussion (12 NOV 18:30).
JEAN COCTEAU RETROSPECTIVE at Ciné Lumière (until 18 NOV):
- Includes: ORPHÉE (until 15 NOV); LA BELLE ET LA BÊTE (04 NOV 14:00 & 15 NOV 20:40); L’AIGLE À DEUX TÊTES (06 NOV 18:30); and, LES PARENTS TERRIBLES (18 NOV 14:00).
- See also (below): Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV).
KICK-ASS 80S COMEDIES at House of Vans (09 NOV to 02 DEC – Free! / No booking required):
- Celebrating the 80s, a golden era that shaped a generation by delivering the most incredible cult-comedies. Includes: THIS IS SPINAL TAP (09 NOV 17:00 & 19:15); WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? (11 NOV 14:00 & 16:00); SPACEBALLS (16 NOV 17:00 & 19:15); AIRPLANE! (17 NOV 15:00 & 17:30); BEETLEJUICE (18 NOV 14:00 & 16:00); STRIPES (23 NOV 17:00 & 19:15); THE BLUES BROTHERS (24 NOV 15:00 & 17:30); and, BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (25 NOV 14:00 & 16:00).
LOOKING BACK, LOOKING FORWARD at Classic Cinema Club – Ealing (NOV to DEC):
- An eclectic mix of films that cover different points in recent history. Includes: WHEN I SAW YOU as part of the Hanwell Palestine Festival (02 NOV 19:30); THE BATTLES OF CORONEL AND FALKLAND ISLANDS + RECORDED SCORE performed by The Band of Her Majesty’s Royal Marines (09 NOV 19:30); KING OF HEARTS (17 NOV 19:30); PUNISHMENT PARK (23 NOV 19:30); and, TAKING OFF (30 NOV 19:30).
MAGNIFICENT OBSESSIONS: THE FILMS OF ROSS HUNTER at The Cinema Museum (08 NOV to 20 DEC):
- Seán McGovern presents: Ross Hunter, at one time, was a force in Hollywood. “A Ross Hunter Production” had certain hallmarks: a campy, sometimes manic sensibility, overwrought emotion and high-octane melodrama. But Ross Hunter has largely been forgotten. Until now… Includes: IMITATION OF LIFE (08 NOV 19:30); ALL I DESIRE (15 NOV 19:30); MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION (20 NOV 19:30); and, PILLOW TALK (27 NOV 19:30).
NEVER FOUND: ALTERNATE HISTORIES OF THE 20TH CENTURY at Close-Up (07 to 15 NOV):
- Francesco Maria Carreri presents a four-part programme of films that use the technique of found footage to retell the history of the 20th century. Includes: OUR CENTURY + PERFECT FILM (07 NOV 20:15); FROM THE POLE TO THE EQUATOR (08 NOV 20:15); IMAGES OF THE WORLD (14 NOV 20:15); and, SPECTRES OF THE SPECTRUM (15 NOV 20:15).
RHYTHM & POETRY: THE FILMS OF MARGARET TAIT at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- “Unravel the beauty and magic of this distinct poet-filmmaker from Orkney.” Includes: Film Poems + DISCUSSION with Anna Coatman, So Mayer, Lucy Reynolds & Peter Todd (05 NOV 18:10); Experimenta Presents: Cross-generation Dialogue: The Margaret Tait Award + Q&A (05 NOV 20:45); London Restoration Premiere: BLUE BLACK PERMANENT + INTRO by writer So Mayer (11 NOV 15:00); LAND MAKAR + INTRO by Peter Todd (13 NOV 20:30); and, Places of Work + INTRO by Peter Todd (30 NOV 18:10).
SCI-FI SUNDAYS at Deptford Cinema (28 OCT 2018 to 24 FEB 2019):
- An afternoon movie and a little something extra on the last Sunday of the month. Includes: LOS CRONOCRÍMENES aka Timecrimes + TALK by Dr Nikk Effingham (25 NOV 15:30).
SEAN MCALLISTER RETROSPECTIVE at Deptford Cinema (03 to 04 NOV):
- Includes: THE RELUCTANT REVOLUTIONARY (03 NOV 13:30); A SYRIAN LOVE STORY (03 NOV 15:15); JAPAN: A STORY OF LOVE AND HATE (04 NOV 14:00); and, A NORTHERN SOUL + Q&A with director Sean McAllister (04 NOV 15:30).
- Weekend pass available.
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- Incorporating fantasy, horror and science fiction, the French fantastique genre has a weird and wonderful tradition of its own. Includes: René Clair Double-bill: PARIS QUI DORT 35mm + LE VOYAGE IMAGINAIRE 35mm + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT (01 NOV 17:50); LES VISITEURS DU SOIR 35mm (02 NOV 20:30); LA MAIN DU DIABLE 35mm (03 NOV 20:20); THE WEDDING RING aka L’alliance 35mm (07 NOV 20:40 / 22 NOV 18:30); FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER 35mm La Chute De La Maison Usher + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Stephen Horne (08 NOV 18:30); THE IRON ROSE aka La Rose de Fer (10 NOV 21:00 / 16 NOV 20:40); BLOOD & ROSES aka Et Mourir de Plaisir 35mm (11 NOV 20:00 / 14 NOV 20:30); EYES WITHOUT A FACE aka Les Yeux Sans Visage (13 NOV 20:45 / 30 NOV 18:20); THE PHANTOM BARON aka Le Baron Fantôme 35mm (17 NOV 16:00); INNOCENCE 35mm (19 NOV 20:30 / 26 NOV 20:30); and, MALPERTUIS 35mm (21 NOV 20:40);
- ORPHÉE enjoys a grind show run (until 08 NOV).
THE STATE OF THE UNION at DocHouse (09 to 18 NOV):
- Looking at life in America now. Includes: TIME FOR ILHAN (09 NOV 18:30 / 10 NOV 16:30 / 11 NOV 18:45); CHARM CITY (16 NOV 18:30); THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING (16 NOV 20:40 / 17 NOV 20:40 / 18 NOV 18:30); and, THIS IS HOME (17 NOV 18:30).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles (until 06 JAN 2019):
- Legendary films from the greatest animation house on the planet. Includes: PONYO (04 NOV 13:20); ARRIETTY (11 NOV 13:30); FROM UP ON POPPY HILL (18 NOV 12:45); and, THE WIND RISES (25 NOV 12:45).
- The English Dubs are also screening if you need them (tickets £4).
UP NORTH & UNDERGROUND at The Prince Charles (10 NOV to 18 NOV):
- A season of films highlighting the underground Canadian cinema of the 90s and introducing rarely-screened titles to London audiences, celebrating the weird underbelly of Toronto and beyond. Includes: ZERO PATIENCE (10 NOV 13:00); and, LAST NIGHT 35mm (18 NOV 13:00).
WANG BING: TRACES at Tate Modern (23 to 25 NOV):
- Discover the boundary-pushing documentary films of radical Chinese artist and filmmaker Wang Bing in this weekender. Includes: MAN WITH NO NAME (23 NOV 18:30); WEST OF THE TRACKS (24 NOV 12:00); BITTER MONEY (25 NOV 13:00); and, TRACES AND ARTIST TALK (25 NOV 17:30).
WE LOVE JOHN HUGHES at The Prince Charles (22 to 26 NOV):
- John Hughes: the master of the teen (and family) movie. Includes: PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES 35mm (22 NOV 20:45); and, UNCLE BUCK 35mm (26 NOV 18:25).
#WOMENINFILM2018 at Genesis Cinema (ongoing):
- Films that have a female director/co-director, a female writer/co-writer, or a strong/iconic female lead. Includes: EVE’S BAYOU + INTRO by Kelli Weston presented by Reel Good Film Club (01 NOV 18:30).
WORLD WAR ONE: REGENERATIONS II at BFI Southbank (NOV):
- A look at how each generation of filmmakers has interpreted the war. Includes: OH! WHAT A LOVELY WAR (11 NOV 14:30 / 12 NOV 17:50); REGENERATION 35mm + INTRO by director Gillies MacKinnon (11 NOV 17:30); REGENERATION (21 NOV 18:15); PRIVATE PEACEFUL (25 NOV 18:00); and, PRIVATE PEACEFUL + DISCUSSION with silent film pianist, writer and broadcaster Neil Brand (26 NOV 18:00).
FILM FESTIVALS (A–Z)
Film festivals in London this month include:
- Adventure Uncovered Film Festival (30 NOV).
- Bicycle Film Festival (22 to 25 NOV).
- Black Sunday Film Festival (10 NOV 13:00).
- Brixton Reel Film Festival (08 to 15 NOV).
- Czech100: Made In Prague Festival (02 to 04 NOV).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (01 to 18 NOV).
- EFG London Jazz Festival (16 to 25 NOV).
- Film Africa (02 to 11 NOV).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Festival (13 to 18 NOV).
- GFEST (12 to 24 NOV).
- Irish Film Festival (21 to 25 NOV).
- London East Asia Film Festival (25 OCT to 04 NOV).
- London International Animation Festival (30 NOV to 09 DEC).
- London Korean Film Festival (01 to 25 NOV).
- London Migration Film Festival (29 NOV to 05 DEC).
- London Palestine Film Festival (16 to 28 NOV).
- November Film Festival (22 to 25 NOV).
- Russian Film Week (25 NOV to 02 DEC).
- Soho Horror Film Festival (10 to 11 NOV).
- Slow Short Film Festival, Part 1 (28 NOV).
- Swiff: South West London International Film Festival (24 NOV).
- UK Iranian Film Festival (26 OCT to 05 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (08 to 22 NOV).
- Underwire Film Festival (16 to 25 NOV).
- Unrestricted View Horror Film Festival (29 OCT to 04 NOV).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
- Walthamstow Smartphone Film Festival (23 NOV).
- We The Peoples Film Festival (11 to 24 NOV).
MORE: daily updates // weekly digests // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Some events may already be sold out: please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.