SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 02.02.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Provisional Presents & Speculative Futures at ICA (02 FEB 19:00):
- Artists’ Film Club presents: Curated by Aily Nash, the works in this programme present narratives of contested, liminal and colonised lands, considering the experiences of communities whose relationships to their homes have been radically altered.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- NOW BOOKING: Join us for MIDNIGHT EXCESS: THE STUD/THE BITCH (16 FEB, Rio Cinema).
- NEW SEASON guides: GREETINGS FROM TROMAVILLE at Deptford Cinema (13 MAR to 19 APR); HORROR SEASON at Austrian Cultural Forum (24 JAN to 21 MAR); and JAPAN FOUNDATION TOURING FILM PROGRAMME at ICA (02 to 10 FEB) & Curzon Soho (21 FEB).
- FEBRUARY: our epic roundup of rep seasons & film fests for the month ahead.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
CRUCIBLE OF THE VAMPIRE + Q&A d. Iain Ross-McNamee, 2019 at The Prince Charles (02 FEB 17:15):
- Isabelle, a young university researcher, is sent to a country manor house in rural Shropshire to verify an ancient artefact that a family has uncovered during the renovation of their home. However, the artefact has a cursed history and it soon becomes apparent that the house holds a dark secret.
My Beautiful Film + Disco at The Broadway Theatre (02 FEB 19:30):
- We Do Good Disco presents: an evening of film, fun and dancing, inc. MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDERETTE (d. Stephen Frears ,19850 & in our side cinema, BUT I’M A CHEERLEADER (d. Jamie Babbit, 1999). After the film the We Do Good female DJs will be playing great music until late.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- CLIMAX d. Gaspar Noé, 2018 at ICA (02 FEB 20:40).
- COCKTAIL + Cocktail Making Masterclass d. Roger Donaldson, 1988 at Moving Pictures Cinema (02 FEB 19:45).
- GROUNDHOG DAY d. Harold Ramis, 1993 at The Prince Charles (02 FEB 13:00).
- THE LAST MOVIE d. Dennis Hopper, 1971 at Regent Street Cinema (02 FEB 15:55 & 20:00).
- MIDNIGHT COWBOY d. John Schlesinger, 1969 at Everyman Screen On The Green (02 FEB 23:30).
- THE OLD MAN & THE GUN d. David Lowrey, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (02 FEB 14:00 & 18:05).
- ON HER SHOULDERS d. Alexandria Bombach, 2019 at DocHouse (02 FEB 14:00).
- RBG d. Julie Cohen & Betsy West, 2018 at DocHouse (02 FEB 20:30).
- THE RAFT d. Marcus Lindeen, 2018 at ICA (02 FEB 14:20).
- STAN & OLLIE d. Jon S. Baird, 2018 at Peckhamplex (02 FEB 12:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- DO THE RIGHT THING d. Spike Lee, 1989 (02 FEB 20:35).
CLOSE-UP ON LUIS BUÑUEL at Close-Up (01 to 27 FEB):
- THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL d. Luis Buñuel, 1962 (02 FEB 18:00).
- DIARY OF A CHAMBERMAID d. Luis Buñuel, 1965 (02 FEB 20:00).
FEELGOOD FILMS at House Of Vans (25 JAN to 17 FEB – FREE! No booking required):
- CLUELESS (02 FEB 15:00 & 17:30).
JAPAN FOUNDATION TOURING FILM PROGRAMME: PEOPLE STILL CALL IT LOVE at ICA (02 to 10 FEB):
- TREMBLE ALL YOU WANT d. Akiko Ohku, 2017 (02 FEB 13:50).
- WHERE CHIMNEYS ARE SEEN d. Heinosuke Gosho, 1953 (02 FEB 16:10).
- THE SCYTHIAN LAMB d. Daihachi Yoshida, 2018 (02 FEB 18:20).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- ZABRISKIE POINT d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1970 (02 FEB 15:00).
MIRANDA JULY at Deptford Cinema (02 to 03 FEB):
- MOVIES (1996—2001) short film programme (02 FEB 17:00).
- ME AND YOU AND EVERYONE WE KNOW d. Miranda July, 2005 (02 FEB 19:00).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- Barbara Stanwyck in the Spotlight illustrated talk (02 FEB 12:30).
- THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL ZEN d. Frank Capra, 1932 (02 FEB 18:00).
- FORBIDDEN d. Frank Capra, 1932 (02 FEB 20:25).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- South Social Celebrates Black Culture (02 to 03 FEB).
- Tripoteca 2019 – Psychedelic Film & Art Festival (01 to 02 FEB).
BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at Rio Cinema (02 FEB 14:15 & 20:15):
- Lyrical, poetic, and mysterious, acclaimed South Korean filmmaker Lee Chang-dong’s BURNING expands a Haruki Murakami short story to create a compelling and mysterious world that explores unrequited love and the nature of obsession.
CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Picturehouse Central (02 FEB 15:40 & 18:30 — Other Picturehouses available!):
- In a courtroom, a young boy named Zain (Zain Al Rafeea) stands before a judge. He asks to sue his own parents for giving him life. The circumstances that have brought him to this point take us on a journey through his poverty-stricken upbringing in Beirut where he lives with his family.
THE DISTANT BARKING OF DOGS d. Simon Lereng Wilmot, 2017 at DocHouse (02 FEB 18:30):
- Since armed conflict broke out in Ukraine in 2014, the small village of Hnutove has suffered the brunt of it. Ten-year-old Oleg and his grandmother have remained, while many have fled. They take shelter in a makeshift bunker as the rumble of shelling and gunfire threatens.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 93QUEEN d. Paula Eiselt, 2018 at DocHouse (01 to 07 FEB). BERGMAN: A YEAR IN A LIFE at BFI Southbank (until 07 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at JW3 (01 to 14 FEB). DOGMAN d. Matteo Garrone, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (04 to 10 FEB). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at Genesis Cinema (until 21 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (until 07 FEB). THE HOUSE BY THE SEA d. Robert Guédiguian, 2017 at Watermans (01 to 07 FEB). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 07 FEB). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD d. Shinichiro Ueda, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 08 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 07 FEB). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU d. Boots Riley, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 07 FEB). STAN & OLLIE d. Jon S. Baird, 2018 at Watermans (until 07 FEB). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS d. Tim Wardle, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 07 FEB). VICEd. Adam McKay, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 to 07 FEB).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.