RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
The Fifth Kennington Bioscope Silent Film Weekend continues at The Cinema Museum (01 to 02 JUN).
- Kennington Bioscope presents: “The fifth Silent Film Festival at the Cinema Museum, curated in conjunction with Kevin Brownlow. All silent films will have live accompaniment by our highly acclaimed team of musicians. The films will be introduced by Kevin Brownlow, and other noted film historians.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- Fragments Festival at Genesis Cinema (07 to 15 JUN 2019) celebrates “inclusivity through film” & features a high proportion of directors who identify as women, people of colour, disabled & LGBTQ+. We’ve taken a look at the programme to produce a handy guide (& make a few cheeky recommends).
- Our friends at Close-Up have announced a new programme of thirteen films, by three masters of Taiwanese New Cinema, set in & around Taipei throughout the 20th & 21st Century. We’ve written a handy guide to the TAIPEI STORIES (01 to 30 JUN) season (including news of an exclusive season discount).
- Obsessive behaviour is the rocket fuel that propels RADIANT CIRCUS through the universe of London’s alternative cinema scene. Now Deptford Cinema has launched a new season that looks at CINEMATIC OBSESSIONS and we invite you along for the ride (11 JUN to 29 JUL).
- South Social Film Festival is collaborating with Instituto Cervantes to celebrate Spain at Moving Pictures Cinema (08 JUN). RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers at Patreon can unlock a juicy discount for this thrilling event.
> PLANNING AHEAD? Check out our monthly repertory roundup.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Nicolas Roeg: A Celebration at BFI Southbank (02 JUN 14:30):
- “BFI Fellow Nicolas Roeg sadly passed away in November last year. He was responsible for making some of the most memorable and acclaimed British films of all time, as both director and cinematographer. This memorial event will feature some of Roeg’s most celebrated moments on screen, along with some very special guests.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ARUNA & LIDAHNYA d. Edwin, 2018 at Deptford Cinema (02 JUN 19:00).
- BIRDS OF PASSAGE d. Cristina Gallego, 2018 at Rio Cinema (02 JUN 13:40).
- BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID d. George Roy Hill, 1969 at The Prince Charles (02 JUN 13:30).
- CABARET d. Bob Fosse, 1972 at Picturehouse Hackney (02 JUN 13:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- Classic Disney Marathon 3 films, 1 ticket at Moving Pictures (02 JUN 13:00).
- GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (02 JUN 18:00).
- HIGH LIFE d. Claire Denis, 2018 at ICA (02 JUN 20:50).
- JOHN MCENROE: IN THE REALM OF PERFECTION d. Julien Faraut, 2018 at ICA (02 JUN 14:30).
- STILL WALKING d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2008 at The Prince Charles (02 JUN 12:45).
- TARNATION d. Jonathan Caouette, 2003 presented by Catford Film at Catford Constitutional Club (02 JUN 19:30 – FREE!).
- TOO LATE TO DIE YOUNG d. Dominga Sotomayor Castillo, 2018 at ICA (02 JUN 18:30).
- VOX LUX d. Brady Corbet, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (02 JUN 18:00 & 20:20).
- WE SEE YOU d. various short film programme presented by Encounters Festival (02 JUN 20:45)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS: WEIMAR CINEMA 1919-1933 at BFI Southbank (MAY to JUN):
- EMIL & THE DETECTIVES d. Gerhard Lamprecht, 1931 (02 JUN 12:30 – Family Screening).
- THE BLUE ANGEL d. Josef von Sternberg, 1930 starts a grind show run (31 MAY to 13 JUN).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- THE LEOPARD d. Luchino Visconti, 1963 (02 JUN 16:30).
- THE LAST PICTURE SHOW d. Peter Bogdanovich, 1971 (02 JUN 19:50).
INGMAR BERGMAN SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (20 MAY to 22 JUL):
- THE SEVENTH SEAL d. Ingmar Bergman, 1957 (02 JUN 16:00).
JAMES BOND SUNDAYS at Regent Street Cinema (12 MAY to 16 JUN):
- NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN d. Irvin Kershner, 134 + Q&A with Valerie Leon (02 JUN 14:30).
OF FLESH AND BLOOD: THE CINEMA OF HIROKAZU KORE-EDA at BFI Southbank (APR to JUN):
- THE THIRD MURDER d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2017 (02 JUN 16:00).
THE ORIGINAL SINS OF CLAIRE DENIS at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- I CAN’T SLEEP 35mmd. Claire Denis, 1994 (02 JUN 17:20).
- ALL THE BOYS AND GIRLS OF THEIR TIME: U.S. GO HOME d. Claire Denis, 1994 (02 JUN 20:45 – FREE!/Booking by phone or in person only).
PLAYING THE BITCH at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- THE LITTLE FOXES 35mm d. William Wyler, 1941 (02 JUN 15:45).
THE STAGE ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière (02 JUN to 21 JUL):
- L’ESQUIVE d. Abdellatif Kechiche, 2003 (02 JUN 14:00).
TAIPEI STORIES at Close-Up (01 to 30 JUN):
- A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY d. Edward Yang, 1991 (02 JUN 18:00).
- All RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers get a juicy discount for the entire season at patreon.com/radiantcircus. Subscribe to get our listings delivered (+ other great rewards!) and support #LDNindieFILM.
TONY COKES: SOUND SYSTEMS at Tate Modern (31 MAY to 02 JUN):
TRIBUTE TO AGNÈS VARDA at Ciné Lumière (MAY):
- CLÉO DE 5 À 7 d. Agnès Varda (02 JUN 16:20).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Sundance Festival London (30 MAY to 02 JUN).
FREEDOM FIELDS d. Naziha Arebi, 2018 at DocHouse (02 JUN 15:50 & 20:00):
- “An intimate look at post-revolution Libya through the eyes of an aspiring all-female soccer team, whose struggle to gain mainstream acceptance mirrors the broader challenges facing women in contemporary Libyan society.”
SUNSET d. László Nemes, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (02 JUN 14:40 & 20:00):
- “Following on from his BAFTA and Oscar®-winning masterpiece SON OF SAUL, writer-director László Nemes returns with another exquisite piece of cinema that is as much about family bonds as it is about the breathtaking spectacle captured with his unique, signature style”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- AMAZING GRACE d. Alan Elliott & Sydney Pollack, 2018 at DocHouse (until 06 JUN). ASH IS PUREST WHITE d. Jia Zhangke, 2018 at ICA (until 06 JUN). BIRDS OF PASSAGE d. Cristina Gallego, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 13 JUN). BOOKSMARTd. Olivia Wilde, 2019 at Moving Pictures (31 MAY to 06 JUN). EIGHTH GRADE d. Bo Burnham, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 05 JUN). FOXTROT d. Samuel Maoz, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (03 to 09 JUN). HIGH LIFE d. Claire Denis, 2018 at The Prince Charles (31 MAY to 06 JUN). MA d. Tate Taylor, 2019 at Rich Mix (31 MAY to 06 JUN). ROCKETMAN d. Dexter Fletcher, 2019 at The Lexi (31 May to 06 JUN). SERIAL (BAD) WEDDING 2 d. Philippe de Chauveron, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (01 to 27 JUN). SUNSETd. László Nemes, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (31 May to 06 JUN). THUNDER ROAD d. Jim Cummings, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (31 MAY to 06 JUN). VOX LUX d. Brady Corbet, 2018 at Watermans (31 MAY to 06 JUN). WHERE HANDS TOUCH d. Amma Asante, 2018 at JW3 (31 MAY to 06 JUN). THE WHITE CROWd. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at Watermans (01 to 06 JUN). WOMEN AT WAR d. Benedikt Erlingsson, 2018 at JW3 (02 to 06 JUN). XY CHELSEA d. Tim Travers Hawkins, 2019 at ICA (until 06 JUN).
Discover more #LDNindieFILM
Sign up for free Friday emails, 7 days of sensational screens.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.