RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
AMÁ d. Lorna Tucker, 2018 + Q&A with the director & executive producer Charon Asetoyer at Regent Street Cinema (02 OCT 19:00):
- The Circle presents: “AMÁ is a feature length documentary which tells an important and untold story: the abuses committed against Native American women by the United States Government during the 1960’s and 70’s: removed from their families and sent to boarding schools, forced relocation away from their traditional lands and involuntary sterilization.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
LUNCHTIME FILM SOCIETY is a brand new popup cinema screening daily programmes of bitesize films for busy City workers at the Bridewell Theatre in the City Of London (22 OCT to 01 NOV 2019). Bring your own lunch, relax & refocus as you feast on a world of inspiring short film drama, documentary & animation.
> Now booking: sbf.org.uk/whats-on
Online at radiantcircus.com: Our epic OCTOBER roundup helps you navigate all the rep seasons & film festivals projecting across London this month.
#32BoroughsOfFilm: We started our yearlong tour of community cinema with visits to Richmond Film Society to see Hirokazu Kore-eda’s SHOPLIFTERS (24 SEP 2019) & Leytonstone Loves Film for the Smartphone Film Festival (28 SEP 2019). (Many) more to come!
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
DIRTY GOD d. Sacha Polak, 2019 + Q&A with actor Vicky Knight at Harris Academy South Norwood (02 OCT 19:45):
- Screen25 presents: “A timely story delivered with passion and urgency by newcomer Vicky Knight, who is captivating as a restless, impulsive and ultimately courageous young woman facing a drastic change in the way the world looks at her.”
ROGER WATERS US + THEM d. Sean Evans, 2018 + Intro by Roger Waters at Barbican (02 OCT 18:10):
- “Filmed in Amsterdam on the European leg of Roger Waters’ 2017 – 2018 Us + Them tour which saw him perform to over two million people worldwide, the film features songs from his legendary Pink Floyd albums (The Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Animals, Wish You Were Here) and from his last album, Is This The Life We Really Want?”
- Also at Genesis Cinema (02 OCT 20:50).
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at The David Lean (02 OCT 19:30).
- DAZED & CONFUSED d. Richard Linklater, 1993 presented by Twickenham Film Club at The Exchange (02 OCT 19:30).
- EL ANGEL d. Luis Ortega, 2018 part of Latin America Cinema Nights at Deptford Cinema (02 OCT 20:00).
- FOR SAMA d. Waad al-Kateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (02 OCT 18:30).
- THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT 35mm d. Frank Tashlin, 1966 at Regent Street Cinema (02 OCT 12:00 & 15:30).
- JUDY d. Rupert Goold, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (02 OCT 12:20 & 18:20).
- TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE d. Trey Parker, 2004 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Peckham Levels (02 OCT 19:30 – FREE!).
- THE THIRD MAN d. Carol Reed, 1949 at at Ciné Lumière (02 OCT 16:15).
- UNDERCOVER WITH THE CLERICS: IRAQ’S SECRET SEX TRADE + Q&A with reporter Nawal Al-Maghafi & the film’s production team at Frontline Club (02 OCT 19:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE-UP ON RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER at Close-Up (01 OCT to 01 DEC):
- KATZELMACHER d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1969 (02 OCT 20:15).
THE FILMS OF DAVID FINCHER at The Prince Charles (15 AUG to 21 NOV):
- FIGHT CLUB d. David Fincher, 1999 (02 OCT 12:45).
IN THE EYES OF THE LAW at Ciné Lumière (25 AUG to 02 OCT):
L’AVEU d. Costa-Gavras, 1970 (02 OCT 19:00).
MARIANO LLINÁS PRESENTS LA FLOR at ICA (13 to 02 OCT):
- LA FLOR: PART III d. Mariano Llinás, 2018 (02 OCT 12:30).
THRILLERS & KILLERS & MONSTERS, OH MY! at The Prince Charles (27 SEP to 01 NOV):
- THE LOVE WITCH d. Anna Biller, 2016 (02 OCT 21:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
AMERICAN PSYCHO 35mm d. Mary Harron, 2000 at The Prince Charles (02 OCT 15:45):
- In New York City in 1987, a handsome, young urban professional, Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale), lives a second life as a gruesome serial killer by night. The cast is filled by the detective (Willem Dafoe), the fiance (Reese Witherspoon), the mistress (Samantha Mathis), the coworker (Jared Leto), and the secretary (Chloë Sevigny). This is a biting, wry comedy examining the elements that make a man a monster.
THE LAST TREE d. Shola Amoo, 2019 at Peckhamplex (02 OCT 17:50 & 20:30):
- “Femi is a British boy of Nigerian heritage who, after a happy childhood in rural Lincolnshire, moves to inner London to live with his mum. Struggling with the unfamiliar culture and values of his new environment, teenage Femi has to figure out which path to adulthood he wants to take.”
NORMAL d. Adele Tulli, 2019 at ICA (02 OCT 15:00 & 20:00):
- “Through a series of wry and acerbic vignettes, Italian filmmaker Adele Tulli’s Normal playfully exposes the spectacle of gender in our everyday lives. Featuring quotidian scenes shot throughout Italy, the film observes individuals – from childhood to adulthood – navigating normative gendered behaviour.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
AD ASTRA d. James Gray, 2019 at The Lexi (until 03 OCT). BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at ICA (until 03 OCT). BOOKSMART d. Olivia Wilde, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (30 SEP to 06 OCT). CIELO d. Alison McAlpine, 2018 at ICA (27 SEP to 02 OCT). CURTIZ d. as Yvan Topolanszky, 2018 at JW3 (02 to 10 OCT). THE FAREWELL d. Lulu Wang, 2019 at Barbican (until 03 OCT). FOR SAMA d. Waad Al-Khateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 03 OCT). THE GOLDFINCH d. John Crowley, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (27 SEP to 03 OCT). HONEYLAND d. Tamara Kotevska, Ljubomir Stefanov, 2019 at DocHouse (until 03 OCT). HOTEL MUMBAI d. Anthony Maras, 2019 at Rio Cinema (27 SEP to 03 OCT). HUSTLERSd. Lorene Scafaria, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 03 SEP). THE LAUNDROMAT at ArtHouse Crouch End d. Steven Soderbergh, 2019 (27 SEP to 03 OCT). ONCE UPON A TIME IN… HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarrantino, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 03 OCT – Check schedule for formats). ONE CHILD NATION d. Zhang Lynn & Nanfu Wang, 2019 at Barbican (27 SEP to 01 OCT). ON THE PRESIDENT’S ORDERS d. James Jones & Olivier Sarbil, 2019 at DocHouse (27 SEP to 03 OCT). PAIN AND GLORY d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 02 OCT). SEA OF SHADOWS at Ciné Lumière (27 SEP to 03 OCT). SKIN d. Guy Nattiv, 2018 at Genesis Cinema (27 SEP to 03 OCT). THE SOUVENIR d. Joanna Hogg, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 03 OCT).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.