RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: New Suns Feminist Literary Festival presents PLAY IT AS IT LAYS at Barbican (03 NOV 16:00): “An ultra-rare screening of the 1972 adaptation of Joan Didion’s cult novel, starring Tuesday Weld and Anthony Perkins.”
Planning ahead? We’ve posted our RADIANT CIRCUS monthly roundup of repertory screenings for NOVEMBER.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
A IS FOR ARTIST + APHRA AND ARADIA at ICA (03 NOV 14:00):
- A screening of recent works commissioned by the ICA.
- A IS FOR ARTIST: Ayo Akingbade’s black and white 16mm short is a contemplative meditation on what it means to sustain oneself and grow as an artist.
- APHRA AND ARADIA: Célia Hay’s longform film follows Aphra, a young woman who travels to a desolate island to meet Aradia, a local witch.
HERE. NOW. SKATEBOARDING IN ATHENS. at House Of Vans (03 NOV 17:30 – Free! / No Booking Required):
- An evening of film screenings celebrating Athens, skateboarding and empowering refugees and locals in their city.
PLAY IT AS IT LAYS at Barbican (03 NOV 16:00):
- New Suns: Feminist Literary Festival presents: An ultra-rare screening of the 1972 adaptation of Joan Didion’s cult novel, starring Tuesday Weld and Anthony Perkins: ‘I know what nothing means, and keep on playing.’
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BAD REPUTATION presented by Genesisters at Genesis Cinema (03 NOV 21:00).
- BENEATH THE CLOCKTOWER at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 NOV 15:00).
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI at The Prince Charles (03 NOV 18:10).
- BLADE RUNNER: DOUBLE FEATURE at The Prince Charles (03 NOV 21:00).
- BULLITT at The Prince Charles (03 NOV 15:30).
- FAHRENHEIT 11/9 at Regent Street Cinema (03 NOV 13:30).
- LIFT TO THE SCAFFOLD aka Ascenseur pour l’échafaud at BFI (03 NOV 20:50).
- THE LOST HONOUR OF KATHARINA BLUM at Picturehouse Central (03 NOV 13:05).
- MALCOLM X: An Overwhelming Influence on the Black Power Movement presented by Black History Studies at The Ritzy (03 NOV 12:00).
- MR KLEIN presented by Fruitvale Film Club at Birkbeck Cinema (03 NOV 14:00 – Free!).
- SOME LIKE IT HOT at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 NOV 16:20).
- SOME LIKE IT HOT at Barbican (03 NOV 17:50).
- WORLDS OF URSULA K. LE GUIN at DocHouse (03 NOV 16:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE-UP ON NURI BILGE CEYLAN at Close-Up (until 03 NOV):
JANE FONDA: COMING OF AGE at BFI Southbank (OCT to DEC):
- BARBARELLA (03 NOV 20:40).
SEAN MCALLISTER RETROSPECTIVE at Deptford Cinema (03 to 04 NOV):
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- LA MAIN DU DIABLE 35mm (03 NOV 20:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Czech100: Made In Prague Festival (02 to 04 NOV).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (01 to 18 NOV).
- Film Africa (02 to 11 NOV).
- London East Asia Film Festival (25 OCT to 04 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (01 to 25 NOV).
- UK Iranian Film Festival (26 OCT to 05 NOV)
- Unrestricted View Horror Film Festival (29 OCT to 04 NOV).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
BLACK MOTHER at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 NOV 18:55):
- Part film, part baptism, director Khalik Allah embarks on a spiritual exploration through Jamaica. Soaking up its bustling metropolises and tranquil countryside, Allah introduces a succession of vividly rendered souls who call the island home.
MIRAI at ICA (03 NOV 12:05):
- Four-year-old Kun has a new baby sister, and the loving attention once lavished on him by his parents appears to evaporate instantly. With his mother and father preoccupied, Kun experiences the arrival of his sister Mirai as competition for their love.
More films in London this week (A – Z): AN EVENING WITH BEVERLY LUFF LINN at The Prince Charles (02 to 08 NOV). THE DEMINER at The Montpellier (until 07 NOV). MANDY at The Prince Charles (until 15 NOV). NAE PASARAN at ICA (02 to o8 NOV). NANCY at Watermans (02 to 08 NOV). PETERLOO at Phoenix Cinema (02 to 08 NOV). PUTIN’S WITNESSES at DocHouse (02 to 08 NOV). REINVENTING MARVIN at Whirled Cinema (05 TO 11 NOV). THE SUMMONING presented by UKJF at JW3 (04 to 07 NOV). SUSPIRIA (1977) at The Prince Charles (02 to 15 NOV). THEY’LL LOVE ME WHEN IM DEAD at ICA (02 to 08 NOV). UTØYA – JULY 22 at The Castle Cinema (02 to 08 NOV).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.