RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: LOVE’S CRUCIBLE aka Vem Dömer + INTRO by Bryony Dixon + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Stephen Horne at BFI Southbank (04 NOV 13:50): “A special treat for Halloween is Sjöström’s little-known gem, which supplies sumptuous renaissance settings, martial hatred, creepy monks peddling poison and a great ‘burn the witch’ moment.” – BFI.
Planning ahead? We’ve posted our RADIANT CIRCUS monthly roundup of repertory screenings for NOVEMBER.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE BURYING PARTY + Q&A with director Richard Weston & actor Matthew Staite at Genesis Cinema (04 NOV 18:00):
- Sine Wave Media presents Wilfred Owen biopic THE BURYING PARTY, on the 100th anniversary of the war poet’s tragic death in WW1. Starring Matthew Staite as Wilfred Owen, Sid Phoenix as Siegfried Sassoon and Joyce Branagh as Susan Owen.
Fireflies #6: Alain Guiraudie: THAT OLD DREAM THAT MOVES 35mm + Albert Serra: BIRDSONG at Close-Up (04 NOV 18:00 & 20:00):
- The launch of Fireflies Issue #6 explores the cinemas of Alain Guiraudie and Albert Serra. A Catalan iconoclast and a radical dreamer from the south of France, Serra and Guiraudie are two of the most compelling voices in cinema today.
LOVE’S CRUCIBLE aka Vem Dömer + INTRO by Bryony Dixon + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Stephen Horne at BFI Southbank (04 NOV 13:50):
- A special treat for Halloween is Sjöström’s little-known gem, which supplies sumptuous renaissance settings, martial hatred, creepy monks peddling poison and a great ‘burn the witch’ moment.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY at Picturehouse Central (04 NOV 15:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- AN ARTIST’S EYES + Q&A with director Jack Bond at ArtHouse Crouch End (04 NOV 17:00).
- Connan Mockasin: On Film presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (04 NOV 15:00).
- DOWN TO EARTH + INTRO at Hackney Picturehouse (04 NOV 12:00).
- THE GUARDIANS at Whirled Cinema (04 NOV 18:00).
- MANDY presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (04 NOV 20:00).
- MIRAI at Genesis Cinema (04 NOV 15:25).
- NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE aka Noseferatu: Phantom der Nacht at BFI (04 NOV 20:15).
- NUREYEV: ALL THE WORLD HIS STAGE at DocHouse (04 NOV 13:30).
- PERFECT BLUE at The Prince Charles (04 NOV 18:10).
- SCRAMBLED at House Of Vans (04 NOV 16:00 – Free! / No Booking Required).
- SHADOW OF THE THIN MAN presented by Kennington Talkies at The Cinema Museum (04 NOV 14:30).
- SHIRKERS at ICA (04 NOV 21:25).
- SOME LIKE IT HOT at Barbican (04 NOV 13:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm new ‘unrestored’ print (04 NOV 20:30).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- HIS GIRL FRIDAY (04 NOV 15:30).
- A CHUMP AT OXFORD 35mm (04 NOV 18:15).
- THE CABLE GUY (04 NOV 20:10).
- SOME LIKE IT HOT (04 NOV 15:40, 17:40 & 20:00).
JANE FONDA: COMING OF AGE at BFI Southbank (OCT to DEC):
- BAREFOOT IN THE PARK (04 NOV 18:00).
JEAN COCTEAU RETROSPECTIVE at Ciné Lumière (until 18 NOV):
SEAN MCALLISTER RETROSPECTIVE at Deptford Cinema (03 to 04 NOV):
- JAPAN: A STORY OF LOVE AND HATE (04 NOV 14:00).
- A NORTHERN SOUL + Q&A with director Sean McAllister (04 NOV 15:30).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- ORPHÉE (04 NOV 15:20 & 19:50).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Czech100: Made In Prague Festival (02 to 04 NOV).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (01 to 18 NOV).
- Film Africa (02 to 11 NOV).
- London East Asia Film Festival (25 OCT to 04 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (01 to 25 NOV).
- UK Iranian Film Festival (26 OCT to 05 NOV)
- Unrestricted View Horror Film Festival (29 OCT to 04 NOV).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
BLACK MOTHER at ArtHouse Crouch End (04 NOV 12:30):
- Part film, part baptism, director Khalik Allah embarks on a spiritual exploration through Jamaica. Soaking up its bustling metropolises and tranquil countryside, Allah introduces a succession of vividly rendered souls who call the island home.
MIRAI at ICA (04 NOV 12:10):
- Four-year-old Kun has a new baby sister, and the loving attention once lavished on him by his parents appears to evaporate instantly. With his mother and father preoccupied, Kun experiences the arrival of his sister Mirai as competition for their love.
SUSPIRIA (1977) at The Prince Charles (04 NOV 15:45):
- Dario Argento is Europe’s leading horror director and his SUSPIRIA is a masterpiece, situated between art-house aesthetics and splatter gore-fest. Argento’s expressionist hyper-assault on our senses is legendary!
More films in London this week (A – Z): AN EVENING WITH BEVERLY LUFF LINN at The Prince Charles (02 to 08 NOV). THE DEMINER at The Montpellier (until 07 NOV). MANDY at The Prince Charles (until 15 NOV). NAE PASARAN at ICA (02 to o8 NOV). NANCY at Watermans (02 to 08 NOV). PETERLOO at Phoenix Cinema (02 to 08 NOV). PUTIN’S WITNESSES at DocHouse (02 to 08 NOV). REINVENTING MARVIN at Whirled Cinema (05 TO 11 NOV). THE SUMMONING presented by UKJF at JW3 (04 to 07 NOV). THEY’LL LOVE ME WHEN IM DEAD at ICA (02 to 08 NOV). UTØYA – JULY 22 at The Castle Cinema (02 to 08 NOV).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.