RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
UNDER THE WIRE d. Chris Martin, 2018 + Q&A with Paul Conroy & Zaina Erhaim at Regent Street Cinema (05 JUN 19:00):
- The Circle Global Feminist presents: “A powerful account of legendary Sunday Times war correspondent Marie Colvin and photographer Paul Conroy’s mission to Homs, Syria in February 2012. Their assignment was to cover the plight of trapped Syrian civilians under siege by their own government. Tragically, Colvin was killed when the international media centre was hit by Syrian Army artillery fire; despite being critically injured, Conroy had to a find way to make it out alive.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- We look at Close-Up’s new programme of 13 films by 3 masters of Taiwanese New Cinema, TAIPEI STORIES (01 to 30 JUN), including news of an exclusive season discount.
- Programmed by Sophie Monks Kaufman, a new season of films by Claire Denisfeaturing “some established bangers, some rarer gems” launches at BFI Southbank (JUN).
- South Social Film Festival celebrates Spain at Moving Pictures Cinema this weekend (08 JUN 18:00) with a discount for RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers.
- Deptford Cinema pursues a new season of CINEMATIC OBSESSIONS and we invite you along for the ride (11 JUN to 29 JUL).
- We chatted with artist Cristina Polop about walking like a duck, amorous crabs, drawing funny & her design for MIDNIGHT EXCESS #3, Ranjit S. Ruprai’s late night collab with Amos Levin (15 JUN 23:00+, Rio Cinema).
- Pushing the frontiers of community cinema, Screen25 has announced LIFT OFF!, a new season of lunar-themed events to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing (use discount “CIRCUS19” to save!).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
DIRTY GOD d. Sacha Polak, 2019 + Q&A with actor Vicky Knight at Rio Cinema (05 JUN 18:30):
- “Set in a small East London council estate, the film follows young mother Jade (Knight) as she tries hard to recover from an acid attack that left her severely disfigured. Dutch director Sacha Polak draws an outstanding performance of raw emotion and sexual frankness from first-time actor Vicky Knight, defying character expectations.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- Austrian Short Film Selection at Austrian Cultural Forum (05 JUN 19:00 – FREE!).
- BARONESA d. Juliana Antunes, 2017 at Deptford Cinema (05 JUN 20:00).
- FRENZY d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1972 at Regent Street Cinema (05 Jun 12:00 & 15:30).
- IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (05 JUN 19:45 – Use promo code “CIRCUS19” to save on full price tickets).
- MELANCHOLIA d. Lars von Trier, 2011 presented by Twickenham Cinema Club at The Exchange (05 JUN 19:30).
- WILD ROSE d. Tom Harper, 2018 at The David Lean (05 JUN 19:30)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS: WEIMAR CINEMA 1919-1933 at BFI Southbank (MAY to JUN):
- THE BLUE ANGEL d. Josef von Sternberg, 1930 starts a grind show run (31 MAY to 13 JUN).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- TAXI DRIVER d. Martin Scorsese, 1976 + INTRO by Anna Smith (05 JUN 18:10).
MARTIN SCORSESE SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 18 JUL):
- GANGS OF NEW YORK 35mm d. Martin Scorsese, 2002 (05 JUN 20:15).
THE ORIGINAL SINS OF CLAIRE DENIS at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- CHOCOLAT 35mm d. Claire Denis, 1988 (05 JUN 18:20).
- BEAU TRAVAIL 35mm d. Claire Denis, 1999 (05 JUN 20:40).
PLAYING THE BITCH at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 (05 JUN 20:35).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Aperture: Asia & Pacific Film Festival Part 1 (04 to 13 JUN).
FREEDOM FIELDS d. Naziha Arebi, 2018 at DocHouse (05 JUN 20:30):
- “An intimate look at post-revolution Libya through the eyes of an aspiring all-female soccer team, whose struggle to gain mainstream acceptance mirrors the broader challenges facing women in contemporary Libyan society.”
SUNSET d. László Nemes, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 JUN 12:20 & 17:40):
- “Following on from his BAFTA and Oscar®-winning masterpiece SON OF SAUL, writer-director László Nemes returns with another exquisite piece of cinema that is as much about family bonds as it is about the breathtaking spectacle captured with his unique, signature style”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- AMAZING GRACE d. Alan Elliott & Sydney Pollack, 2018 at DocHouse (until 06 JUN). ASH IS PUREST WHITE d. Jia Zhangke, 2018 at ICA (until 06 JUN). BIRDS OF PASSAGE d. Cristina Gallego, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 13 JUN). BOOKSMARTd. Olivia Wilde, 2019 at Moving Pictures (31 MAY to 06 JUN). EIGHTH GRADE d. Bo Burnham, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 05 JUN). FOXTROT d. Samuel Maoz, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (03 to 09 JUN). HIGH LIFE d. Claire Denis, 2018 at The Prince Charles (31 MAY to 06 JUN). MA d. Tate Taylor, 2019 at Rich Mix (31 MAY to 06 JUN). ROCKETMAN d. Dexter Fletcher, 2019 at The Lexi (31 May to 06 JUN). SERIAL (BAD) WEDDING 2 d. Philippe de Chauveron, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (01 to 27 JUN). SUNSETd. László Nemes, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (31 May to 06 JUN). THUNDER ROAD d. Jim Cummings, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (31 MAY to 06 JUN). VOX LUX d. Brady Corbet, 2018 at Watermans (31 MAY to 06 JUN). WHERE HANDS TOUCH d. Amma Asante, 2018 at JW3 (31 MAY to 06 JUN). THE WHITE CROWd. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at Watermans (01 to 06 JUN). WOMEN AT WAR d. Benedikt Erlingsson, 2018 at JW3 (02 to 06 JUN). XY CHELSEA d. Tim Travers Hawkins, 2019 at ICA (until 06 JUN).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.