RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Filikino presents ALIPATO: THE VERY BRIEF LIFE OF AN EMBER + RECORDED Q&A with director Khavn De La Cruz at Genesis Cinema (05 NOV 18:30): “Khavn De La Cruz, one of the Philippine’s most prolific filmmakers, gives us this hyperkinetic mind-fuck, offering up an image of Manila that is frightening – not so much in its otherworldly qualities as in its familiarity.” – Filikino.
Planning ahead? We’ve posted our RADIANT CIRCUS monthly roundup of repertory screenings for NOVEMBER.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
ALIPATO: THE VERY BRIEF LIFE OF AN EMBER + RECORDED Q&A with director Khavn De La Cruz at Genesis Cinema (05 NOV 18:30):
- Filikino presents: Khavn De La Cruz, one of the Philippine’s most prolific filmmakers, gives us this hyperkinetic mind-fuck, offering up an image of Manila that is frightening – not so much in its otherworldly qualities as in its familiarity.
PRINCE OF DARKNESS at Picturehouse Central (05 NOV 21:10 – Other Picturehouses available!):
- Deep in the basement of an abandoned church, once run by a sinister religious sect, lies a strange bottle of green liquid being investigated by a group of local theoretic physics students. But as the night draws on the students soon realise that the strange relic holds a dark and powerful force beyond their control.
V FOR VENDETTA + A BEER/CIDER presented by Truman’s Brewery at Genesis Cinema (05 NOV 21:00):
- Following world war, London is a police state occupied by a fascist government, and a vigilante known only as V (Hugo Weaving) uses terrorist tactics to fight the oppressors of the world in which he now lives. When V saves a young woman named Evey (Natalie Portman) from the secret police, he discovers an ally in his fight against England’s oppressors.
- Also V FOR VENDETTA 35mm at The Prince Charles (05 NOV 20:45).
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BIGGER THAN LIFE 35mm at BFI (05 NOV 20:30).
- HALLOWEEN (1978) at The Prince Charles (05 NOV 15:30).
- THE WICKER MAN  at The Prince Charles (05 NOV 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE-UP ON INGMAR BERGMAN at Close-Up (02 NOV to 30 DEC):
- AUTUMN SONATA (05 NOV 20:15).
CLOSE UP: SEBASTIÁN LELIO at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- THE SACRED FAMILY aka La Sagrada Familia (05 NOV 18:00).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
RHYTHM & POETRY: THE FILMS OF MARGARET TAIT at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- Film Poems + DISCUSSION with Anna Coatman, So Mayer, Lucy Reynolds & Peter Todd (05 NOV 18:10).
- Experimenta Presents: Cross-generation Dialogue: The Margaret Tait Award + Q&A (05 NOV 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (01 to 18 NOV).
- Film Africa (02 to 11 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (01 to 25 NOV).
- UK Iranian Film Festival (26 OCT to 05 NOV).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
BLACK MOTHER at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 NOV 15:45):
- Part film, part baptism, director Khalik Allah embarks on a spiritual exploration through Jamaica. Soaking up its bustling metropolises and tranquil countryside, Allah introduces a succession of vividly rendered souls who call the island home.
REINVENTING MARVIN at Whirled Cinema (05 NOV 20:00):
- The true story of Marvin Bijou (rising star Finnegan Oldfield), a young boy from a working-class family in a small village, suffers constant bullying at school and home for being ‘different’ – too sensitive and too feminine. A chance encounter with a drama teacher opens the doors to a world that offers him the chance to escape his situation.
SUSPIRIA (1977) at The Prince Charles (05 NOV 15:45):
- Dario Argento is Europe’s leading horror director and his SUSPIRIA is a masterpiece, situated between art-house aesthetics and splatter gore-fest. Argento’s expressionist hyper-assault on our senses is legendary!
More films in London this week (A – Z): AN EVENING WITH BEVERLY LUFF LINN at The Prince Charles (02 to 08 NOV). THE DEMINER at The Montpellier (until 07 NOV). MANDY at The Prince Charles (until 15 NOV). MIRAI at ICA (02 to 08 NOV). NAE PASARAN at ICA (02 to o8 NOV). NANCY at Watermans (02 to 08 NOV). PETERLOO at Phoenix Cinema (02 to 08 NOV). PUTIN’S WITNESSES at DocHouse (02 to 08 NOV). REINVENTING MARVIN at Whirled Cinema (05 TO 11 NOV). THE SUMMONING presented by UKJF at JW3 (04 to 07 NOV). THEY’LL LOVE ME WHEN IM DEAD at ICA (02 to 08 NOV). UTØYA – JULY 22 at The Castle Cinema (02 to 08 NOV).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.