RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
STOP d. Jeff Preiss, 1955-2012 + INTRO by the director & Ghislaine Leungat ICA (06 MAR 18:45):
- Jeff Preiss’ feature-length chronicle STOP is distilled from 2,500 100-ft camera rolls of 16mm film shot between 1995 & 2011. The film operates around the conventions of home movies: the footage is from Preiss’ own life, and covers the alternating subjects of family, friends and travel. It is selected by Ghislaine Leung to coincide with the artist’s exhibition CONSTITUTION at Chisenhale Gallery (until 24 MAR).
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- NOW BOOKING: You’re invited to the private view of BLACKOUT, an exhibition of barely moving images at Ambika P3 (12 MAR).
- NOW BOOKING: We’ve added IMITATION OF LIFE + INTRO by Dr Ella Parry-Davies to our calendar of coming attractions (23 MAR).
- NEWS: Phoenix Cinema Trust has launched a #PhoenixRising fundraiser – help save this much-loved venue.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER d. Sara Colangelo, 2019 + PANEL + POETRY WORKSHOP at Picturehouse Central (06 MAR 18:30):
- Birds Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame presents: Maggie Gyllenhaal stars as a kindergarten teacher and poet fed up with her career, her oblivious husband and teenage kids who largely ignore her. When she discovers that a five-year-old in her class may be a poetic prodigy, she becomes fascinated and tries to protect him from neglectful parents.
UNDER THE CHERRY MOON 35mm d. Prince, 1986 at The Prince Charles (06 MAR 20:45):
- Movie Jam presents: Prince’s follow up to PURPLE RAIN couldn’t be more different. A Parisian-set black & white farce, with the Purple One as pianist Christopher Tracy and Kristen Scott Thomas (in her debut role) as the trust-fund socialite who catches his eye, its ‘20s setting and gender-fluid sexuality means it has arguably dated better than its much-loved predecessor. Zines, mixtapes & vinyl giveaways.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BURNING d. Chang-dong Lee, 2018 at The Lexi (06 MAR 19:00).
- EVELYN d. Orlando Von Einsiedel, 2018 + Q&A at Regent Street Cinema (06 MAR 19:30).
- HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (06 MAR 14:15).
- HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN d. Charles Vidor, 1952 at Regent Street Cinema (06 MAR 12:00 & 15:30).
- THE LAST SUMMER OF LA BOYITA d. Julia Solomonoff, 2009 at Deptford Cinema (06 MAR 20:00).
- THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE 35mm d. John Frankenheimer, 1962 at The Prince Charles (06 MAR 18:05).
- THE MAN YOU’RE NOT d. Alan Freestone, 2017 at Hen & Chickens Theatre (06 MAR 19:30).
- PIERCING d. Nicolas Pesce, 2018 at The Prince Charles (06 MAR 18:25).
- Visionary Women: WARU d. various, 2017 presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (06 MAR 19:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (06 MAR 12:50).
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (06 MAR 15:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- CITY LIGHTS d. Charles Chaplin, 1931 + INTRO by Pamela Hutchinson (06 MAR 18:20).
- TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD d. Robert Mulligan, 1962 (06 MAR 20:25).
CLOSE-UP ON ANDREI TARKOVSKY at Close-Up (02 to 31 MAR):
- NOSTALGHIA d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1983 (06 MAR 20:15).
THE FILMS OF JEAN-MARIE STRAUB AND DANIÈLE HUILLET Goethe-Institut & partners’ epic season starts this week at BFI Southbank & ICA (MAR to JUN):
- OTHON d. Jean-Marie Straub & Danièle Huillet, 1969 + THE BRIDEGROOM, THE COMEDIENNE & THE PIMP d. Jean-Marie Straub & Danièle Huillet, 1968 (06 MAR 20:30, BFI).
HAYAO MIYAZAKI AND THE LEGENDARY STUDIO GHIBLI at Genesis Cinema (01 to 24 MAR):
- HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2005 (06 MAR 18:20).
- TALES FROM EARTHSEA d. Gorô Miyazaki, 2006 (06 MAR 21:00).
LOVE AND ANARCHY: THE FILMS OF LINA WERTMÜLLER at Barbican Centre (06 to 31 MAR 2019):
- SEVEN BEAUTIES d. Lina Wertmüller, 1975 + SCREENTALK with Dr Julia Wagner (06 MAR 18:10).
MARTIN SCORSESE SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 18 JUL):
- RAGING BULL 35mm d. Martin Scorsese, 1980 (06 MAR 15:15).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- SORRY, WRONG NUMBER d. Anatole Litvak, 1948 (06 MAR 14:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- The Female Experience (05 to 10 MAR).
ABOUT A WAR d. Abi Weaver & Daniele Rugo at ArtHouse Crouch End (06 MAR 13:00):
- Moving through the testimonies of Assaad, a right wing Christian intelligence officer; Ahed, a Palestinian refugee fighter and Nassim, a Communist commander, ABOUT A WAR unpicks the personal motivations, trauma and regret of militiamen who picked up arms during the Lebanese Civil War.
BURNING MEN d. Jeremy Wooding, 2019 at Peckhamplex (06 MAR 20:30 – LAST CHANCE!):
- Young, struggling musicians Ray and Don are evicted from their South London squat. They take to the road in their old Volvo Amazon, planning to sell their prized vinyl record collection and fly to Memphis USA. However, when they fail to get the money needed, they steal a rare Black Metal record which seems to unleash dark forces that threaten their mission.
SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (06 MAR 16:00 & 21:15):
- Leo (Félix Maritaud) is a 22-year-old sex worker who yearns for affection. In poor health and with no fixed address, he finds fleeting solace in the arms of the men he meets through his work. The crushing solitude of Leo’s life is tempered when he falls for fellow hustler Ahd.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- THE AFTERMATH d. James Kent, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (01 to 07 MAR). ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 New Restoration at The Prince Charles (01 to 10 MAR). BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 07 MAR). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 07 MAR). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 07 MAR). FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY d. Stephen Merchant, 2019 at Rich Mix (01 to 07 MAR). FOXTROT d. Samuel Maoz, 2017 at JW3 (01 to 07 MAR). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at Watermans (01 to 07 MAR). THE HOLE IN THE GROUNDd. Lee Cronin, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 to 07 MAR). OF LOVE & LAW d. Hikaru Toda, 2017 at DocHouse (01 to 06 MAR). ON THE BASIS OF SEX d. Mimi Leder, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 07 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 + various dates Q&A with the directors at Arthouse Crouch End (02 to 07 MAR). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 07 MAR). TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 at DocHouse (02 to 07 MAR). WALL d. Cam Christiansen, 2017 at DocHouse (01 to 07 MAR).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.