RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Roy Budd’s PHANTOM OF THE OPERA d. Rupert Julian, 1925 + LIVE SCORE by Docklands Sinfonia at Barbican Centre (18 MAR 19:30):
- “Roy Budd had loved Phantom since he was a child. The self-taught pianist and prodigious composer – best known for his score to GET CARTER – had always dreamed of writing music for the iconic film. And in 1993, he did just that. But tragically, just weeks before the premiere at the Barbican, he died from a brain haemorrhage, and the performance was cancelled. Here it is.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- East End Film Festival announces a year of horror in the Masonic temple at Andaz Liverpool Street.
- We caught up with ABOUT A WAR, a 2018 doc by Abi Weaver and Daniele Rugo at ArtHouse Crouch End.
- The Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR) is an essential element of London’s indie film calendar.
- RADIANT CIRCUS is celebrating our first year of reader subscriptions by inviting you to discover more #LDNindieFILM.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 1000 Londoners: Goodbye Europe at Museum of London (18 MAR 18:30 – FREE!).
- BURNING aka Beoning d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at The Prince Charles (18 MAR 12:40).
- RINGU d. Hideo Nakata, 1998 at Picturehouse Crouch End (18 MAR 21:15 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (18 MAR 20:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (18 MAR 15:50 & 18:00).
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (18 MAR 21:05).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- CITY LIGHTS d. Charles Chaplin, 1931 (18 MAR 20:35).
CLOSE-UP ON ANDREI TARKOVSKY at Close-Up (02 to 31 MAR):
- MIRROR d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1974 (18 MAR 20:15).
THE FILMS OF JEAN-MARIE STRAUB AND DANIÈLE HUILLET Goethe-Institut & partners’ epic season continues at BFI Southbank & ICA (MAR to JUN):
- FROM THE CLOUD TO THE RESISTANCE d. Danièle Huillet and Jean-Marie Straub, 1979 (18 MAR 18:15, BFI).
THE FILMS OF PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON at The Prince Charles (until 08 JUL):
- THERE WILL BE BLOOD 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007 (18 MAR 20:20).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- REMEMBER THE NIGHT d. Mitchell Leisen, 1940 (18 MAR 14:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at JW3 (18 MAR 16:00 & 20:00):
- “A bittersweet comedy tells the story of Benjamin (Colin Morgan) a rising star filmmaker, who is thrown into emotional turmoil on the brink of premiering his second film, when Billie, his hard partying publicist, introduces him to a mesmeric French musician called Noah.”
WELCOME TO SODOM d. Florian Weigensamer & Christian Krönes, 2018 at DocHouse (18 MAR 18:30):
- “Sodom is the largest electrical waste dump in the world, given its hellish name by the people who live there. How our extremely wasteful, privileged society is seen by those who mend and recycle what we throw away, is food for thought.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- THE AFTERMATH d. James Kent, 2019 at Watermans (15 to 28 MAR). ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 New Restoration at The Prince Charles (until 21 MAR). BACK TO THE FATHERLAND d. Kat Rohrer & Gil Levanon, 2017 presented by UKJF at JW3 (17 to 21 MAR). BLUE NOTE RECORDS: BEYOND THE NOTES d. Sophie Huber, 2018 at DocHouse (15 to 21 MAR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at Arthouse Crouch End (until 21 MAR). DISOBEDIENCE d. Sebastián Lelio, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (18 to 24 MAR). EVERYBODY KNOWS aka Todos lo Saben d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 21 MAR). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (15 to 21 MAR). THE FIGHT d. Jessica Hynes, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 to 21 MAR). FREE SOLO d. Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi & Jimmy Chin, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 21 MAR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at ICA (15 to 21 MAR). IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at Peckhamplex (until 21 MAR). THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER d. Sara Colangelo, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 21 MAR). MAIDEN d. Alex Holmes, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 21 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 21 MAR). RAY & LIZ d. Richard Billingham, 2018 at ICA (until 21 MAR). SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (until 21 MAR). SHAKESPEARE WALLAH d. James Ivory, 1965 at BFI (until 21 MAR). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 21 MAR). TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 at DocHouse (15 to 20 MAR). TIGERS d. Danis Tanovic, 2014 at Watermans (17 to 21 MAR). UNDER THE SILVER LAKE d. David Robert Mitchell, 2018 at The Prince Charles (15 to 21 MAR). WHAT MEN WANT d. Adam Shankman, 2019 at Rich Mix (15 to 21 MAR).
And that’s the meat of it…
Follow RADIANT CIRCUS to discover more #LDNindieFILM:
Sign up for free Friday emails packed full of handpicked highlights.
RADIANT CIRCUS is patron powered, supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a site rebuild to make our listings fully searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Join the circus at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.