RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Horace Ové double-bill: BALDWIN’S NIGGER + INTRO by visual artist Zak Ové + THE BLACK SAFARI + Q&A at BFI Southbank (19 JAN 14:00):
- African Odysseys presents: British filmmaker, writer and artist Horace Ové is celebrated in this special double-bill.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
- INTERVIEW: We chatted to Nuala O’Sullivan, director of the Women Over 50 Film Festival (WOFFF), in advance of the BEST OF THE FEST pop-up at Mother’s Ruin (03 FEB 16:00). Read more HERE.
- NEW SEASON guide: DRIFTING SHADOWS: MASTERPIECES OF FINNISH CINEMA at Close-Up (18 to 30 JAN).
- NEW SEASON guide: DEREK JARMAN SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles Cinema (23 JAN to 16 APR).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Creepy Creatures: SQUIRM + THE NEST at the King & Queen (19 JAN 17:30):
- World Wide Weird! presents: “A double bill of grotesque creature feature horror, not for the squeamish or faint-hearted!” £2 from each ticket sale will be donated to Macmillan Cancer Nurses.
French Impressions: THE WORKSHOP + TALK at Watermans (19 JAN 13:00).
- From Laurent Cantet, writer-director of Palme d’Or-winner THE CLASS, and writer Robin Campillo (120 BPM) comes a riveting contemporary drama that blends social commentary with a complex study of the modern world.
HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING + DISCUSSION with director RaMell Ross at ICA (19 JAN 20:45):
- Dazzling and sun-drenched, HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING is an innovative, impressionistic portrait of contemporary life in Hale County, Alabama.
- Enjoys a grind show run at the same venue (18 to 24 JAN).
- Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup HERE.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- CASABLANCA at Everyman Screen On The Green (19 JAN 23:30).
- DISOBEDIENCE at Regent Street Cinema (19 JAN 14:00 & 16:15).
- ISLAND OF THE HUNGRY GHOSTS at DocHouse (19 JAN 16:30).
- MUPPETS FROM SPACE at Regent Street Cinema (19 JAN 11:30).
- PETERLOO presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St. Barnabas Millennium Halls (19 JAN 20:00).
- SHOPLIFTERS at Rio Cinema (19 JAN 12:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001 : A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm (19 JAN 20:35).
AKIRA KUROSAWA: SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (05 JAN to 13 APR):
- IKIRU 35mm (19 JAN 14:45).
BEST OF 2018 at Ciné Lumière (03 to 26 JAN):
- BLACkKLANSMAN (19 JAN 18:20).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT at BFI Southbank (03 to 31 JAN):
- HÄXAN: WITCHCRAFT THROUGH THE AGES (19 JAN 18:15 + Matti Bye Ensemble score).
DRIFTING SHADOWS: MASTERPIECES OF FINNISH CINEMA at Close-Up (18 to 30 JAN):
- HELSINKI, FOREVER + MIDNIGHT SUN FILM FESTIVAL (19 JAN 18:00).
- INSPECTOR PALMU’S ERROR (19 JAN 20:00).
THE GOLDEN AGE OF ALEXANDER KORDA: BRITAIN’S MOVIE MOGUL at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- THAT HAMILTON WOMAN aka Lady Hamilton (19 JAN 18:10).
INGMAR BERGMAN FOCUS at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- THE SEVENTH SEAL aka Det Sjunde Inseglet (19 JAN 16:10).
JOHN CARPENTER RETROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 31 JUL):
- HALLOWEEN (1978) & HALLOWEEN (2018) (19 JAN 21:00).
LAUREL AND HARDY at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- WAY OUT WEST + LAUGHING GRAVY (19 JAN 20:30).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- CHRONICLE OF A LOVE AFFAIR aka Cronaca di un amore (19 JAN 20:40).
WALT DISNEY SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (05 JAN to 23 MAR):
- LADY AND THE TRAMP 35mm (19 JAN 12:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- London Short Film Festival (11 to 20 JAN).
MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS at ArtHouse (19 JAN 12:30, 15:15, 18:00 & 20:45):
- Explores the turbulent life of the charismatic Mary Stuart (Saoirse Ronan). Queen of France at 16 and widowed at 18, Mary defies pressure to remarry. Instead, she returns to her native Scotland to reclaim her rightful throne. But Scotland and England fall under the rule of the compelling Elizabeth I (Margot Robbie).
THE RAFT at Rio Cinema (19 JAN 18:15):
- In 1973, five men and six women drifted across the Atlantic on a raft as part of a scientific experiment studying the sociology of violence, aggression and sexual attraction in human behavior.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A STAR IS BORN at The Prince Charles (until 24 JAN). BEAUTIFUL BOY at Rio Cinema (18 to 24 JAN). BLACK’ 47 at Whirled Cinema (21 to 27 JAN). COLETTE at The Lexi (until 24 JAN). THE FAVOURITE at ICA (until 24 JAN). FREE SOLO at ICA (until 24 JAN). FYRE at The Prince Charles (18 to 24 JAN). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING at ICA (18 to 24 JAN). THE HOUSE BY THE SEA at Ciné Lumière (until 24 JAN). ITZHAK presented by UKJF at JW3 (20 to 24 JAN). THE OLD MAN & THE GUN at The Prince Charles (18 to 24 JAN). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD at The Prince Charles (until 08 FEB). THE PASSENGER at BFI (until 24 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS at ICA (until 24 JAN). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at The Prince Charles (until 24 JAN). STAN & OLLIE at The Castle Cinema (until 24 JAN). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at DocHouse (until 24 JAN).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.