RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
LE BLÉ EN HERBE aka The Game of Love 16mm + SALON with Nick Walker, Rochester Kino at Ciné Lumière (20 JAN 14:00):
- Based on the eponymous novel by Colette, LE BLÉ EN HERBE recounts the story of Phil and Vinca, two childhood friends who spend all their holidays together by the sea.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
- INTERVIEW: We chatted to Nuala O’Sullivan, director of the Women Over 50 Film Festival (WOFFF), in advance of the BEST OF THE FEST pop-up at Mother’s Ruin (03 FEB 16:00). Read more HERE.
- NEW SEASON guide: DRIFTING SHADOWS: MASTERPIECES OF FINNISH CINEMA at Close-Up (18 to 30 JAN).
- NEW SEASON guide: DEREK JARMAN SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles Cinema (23 JAN to 16 APR).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
METTI LA NONNA IN FREEZER + Q&A with Co-Director Giuseppe Stasi at Genesis Cinema (20 JAN 15:00):
- CinemaItaliaUK presents: Claudia works as an art restorer living on her grandma’s retirement checks. When the old lady dies, Claudia hides the body in a freezer, and devises a scheme with the help of two of her colleges to avoid bankruptcy.
Woody Woodpecker: A Celebration + PANEL at BFI Southbank (20 JAN 13:30):
- Created by Walter Lantz in 1940, Woody Woodpecker starred in hundreds of theatrical shorts until Lantz’s studio closed in 1972. Today, a guest panel discusses what made this loveable bird such a huge success on both film and TV.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AMERICAN ANIMALS at Whirled Cinema (20 JAN 18:00). AN ELEPHANT SITTING STILL at ICA (20 JAN 12:15). THE BICYCLE THIEVES presented by Ciné-Real 16mm at The Castle Cinema (20 JAN 14:30). DISOBEDIENCE at Regent Street Cinema (20 JAN 18:00 & 20:20). Double Bill: RIVER OF NO RETURN + HEAVEN KNOWS, MR ALLISON at Regent Street Cinema (20 JAN 13:30 & 15:20). FROM HERE TO ETERNITY presented by Kennington Classics at The Cinema Museum (20 JAN 14:30). INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (20 JAN 15:00). POSSESSION presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (20 JAN 19:30). SHOPLIFTERS at Rio Cinema (20 JAN 12:30). THEATRE OF WAR at JW3 (20 JAN 12:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BEST OF 2018 at Ciné Lumière (03 to 26 JAN):
- PETERLOO (20 JAN 16:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT at BFI Southbank (03 to 31 JAN):
- GASLIGHT (1940) (20 JAN 15:40).
- BOOGIE NIGHTS 35mm (20 JAN 17:30).
DRIFTING SHADOWS: MASTERPIECES OF FINNISH CINEMA at Close-Up (18 to 30 JAN):
THE GOLDEN AGE OF ALEXANDER KORDA: BRITAIN’S MOVIE MOGUL at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES 35mm (20 JAN 15:45).
INGMAR BERGMAN FOCUS at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- WILD STRAWBERRIES aka Smultronstället (20 JAN 20:00).
KIM LONGINOTTO: VIXEN FILMS RETROSPECTIVE at Deptford Cinema (17 to 26 JAN):
- DREAM GIRLS + SHINJUKU BOYS (20 JAN 17:00 – currently SOLD OUT!).
- DIVORCE IRANIAN STYLE (20 JAN 19:00).
LAUREL AND HARDY at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- SWISS MISS 35mm + COUNTY HOSPITAL 35mm (20 JAN 18:00).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles (06 JAN to 05 MAY):
- MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO (20 JAN 12:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- London International Mime Festival (20 JAN – currently SOLD OUT!).
- London Short Film Festival (11 to 20 JAN – LAST CHANCE!).
Have you booked for the 16th London Short Film Festival (11 to 20 JAN 2019) yet? Use our handy guide to find the best of the rest of the fest #LSFF2019 > HERE.
HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING at ICA (20 JAN 16:30, 19:45 & 21:20):
- “Dazzling and sun-drenched, HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING is an innovative, impressionistic portrait of contemporary life in Hale County, Alabama.”
- Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup HERE.
MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS at ArtHouse (20 JAN 12:30, 15:15, 18:00 & 20:45):
- Explores the turbulent life of the charismatic Mary Stuart (Saoirse Ronan). Queen of France at 16 and widowed at 18, Mary defies pressure to remarry. Instead, she returns to her native Scotland to reclaim her rightful throne. But Scotland and England fall under the rule of the compelling Elizabeth I (Margot Robbie).
THE RAFT at Rio Cinema (20 JAN 18:15):
- In 1973, five men and six women drifted across the Atlantic on a raft as part of a scientific experiment studying the sociology of violence, aggression and sexual attraction in human behavior.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A STAR IS BORN at The Prince Charles (until 24 JAN). BEAUTIFUL BOY at Rio Cinema (18 to 24 JAN). BLACK’ 47 at Whirled Cinema (21 to 27 JAN). COLETTE at The Lexi (until 24 JAN). THE FAVOURITEat ICA (until 24 JAN). FREE SOLO at ICA (until 24 JAN). FYRE at The Prince Charles (18 to 24 JAN). THE HOUSE BY THE SEA at Ciné Lumière (until 24 JAN). ITZHAK presented by UKJF at JW3 (20 to 24 JAN). THE OLD MAN & THE GUN at The Prince Charles (18 to 24 JAN). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD at The Prince Charles (until 08 FEB). THE PASSENGER at BFI (until 24 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS at ICA (until 24 JAN). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at The Prince Charles (until 24 JAN). STAN & OLLIE at The Castle Cinema (until 24 JAN). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at DocHouse (until 24 JAN).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.