RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
PHASE IV d. Saul Bass, 1974 + TALK by Dr Yannick Wurm at The Castle Cinema (21 MAR 19:00):
- Science Fiction Theatre presents: “When a desert ant population teams up with others of their species to create a super colony, two scientists (Nigel Davenport and Michael Murphy) search for an explanation to the evolutionary shift that has allowed the ants to adopt a hive mind.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- New season LIVES UNWRITTEN: WOMEN AND DOMESTIC WORK ON FILM starts on 23 MAR at The Geffrye. RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers can receive a 15 % discount when booking for any film in the season.
- Genesis Cinema has announced a new David Lynch season called, appropriately enough, SECRETS, MYSTERY, ABSURDITY: THE WORLD OF DAVID LYNCH (02 to 25 APR).
- East End Film Festival announces a year of horror in the Masonic temple at Andaz Liverpool Street.
- The Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR) is an essential element of London’s indie film calendar.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Nova Nights #16: Harlock & Able’s DEEP CLEAN + SHORTS by Nicolai Kornum at The Horse Hospital (21 MAR 19:00):
- Billy Chainsaw presents: “An exclusive screening of director Matt Harlock and comic artist Krent Able’s hilarious and hideous horror short DEEP CLEAN, followed by a ‘live’ interview between Harlock, Able and Billy Chainsaw. Plus the world premiere of Chainsaw & Collier’s latest Cut Up ‘S-23a’ – the only way to see Chainsaw & Collier’s Cut Up movies is ‘live’.”
RINGU d. Hideo Nakata , 1998 + INTRO/SALON with Nick Walker, Rochester Kinoat Genesis Cinema (21 MAR 18:40):
- “Cult Classic Collective with Nick Walker of Rochester Kino returns with a 20th Anniversary screening of Hideo Nakata’s gorgeous restoration of RINGU. The screening will be introduced by Nick and will be followed by a salon discussion upstairs at the bar where you will have a chance to discuss this great film with fellow fans and first-time viewers!”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BURNING aka Beoning d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at ICA (21 MAR 13:50).
- Cine Mar – Surf Movie Night at Genesis Cinema (21 MAR 20:30).
- CITIZEN KANE 35mm d. Orson Welles, 1941 at The Prince Charles (21 MAR 15:30).
- INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2009 at The Prince Charles (21 MAR 20:30).
- IRAQ: A STATE OF MIND d. Namak Khoshnaw + Q&A with the director & BBC Arabic Head Of Docs Christopher Mitchell at Frontline Club (21 MAR 19:00).
- JEFFERSON IN PARIS d. James Ivory, 1995 + Q&A with Academy Award-winning costume designers Jenny Beavan & John Bright at Ciné Lumière (21 MAR 18:20).
- Kino’s Short Film Open-Mic Night at Candid Arts Trust (21 MAR 19:00).
- THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES d. Walter Salles, 2004 presented by Twickenham Cinema Club at The Venue, TW1 (21 MAR 19:30).
- MUG d. Malgorzata Szumowska, 2018 presented by Das Kino at The Old Baths (21 MAR 20:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (21 MAR 15:45 & 18:10).
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSEd. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (21 MAR 21:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- HIGH NOON d. Fred Zinnemann, 1952 at BFI (21 MAR 18:25).
- RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 (21 MAR 20:50).
CLOSE-UP ON ANDREI TARKOVSKY at Close-Up (02 to 31 MAR):
- NOSTALGHIA d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1983 (21 MAR 20:15).
THE FILMS OF JEAN-MARIE STRAUB AND DANIÈLE HUILLET Goethe-Institut & partners’ epic season continues at BFI Southbank & ICA (MAR to JUN):
- TOO EARLY, TOO LATE d. Danièle Huillet & Jean-Marie Straub, 1980-1 + EUROPA 2005, 27 OCTOBRE d. Danièle Huillet & Jean-Marie Straub, 2005 + JACKALS & ARABS d. Danièle Huillet & Jean-Marie Straub, 2009 (21 MAR 18:15).
HORROR SEASON at Austrian Cultural Forum (until 21 MAR – Free!):
- BLOOD GLACIER d. Marvin Kren, 2013 (21 MAR 19:00).
KAIJU CHAOS at House Of Vans (08 to 31 MAR – Free! no booking required):
- GODZILLA & MOTHRA (21 MAR 17:00 & 19:15).
SEASON OF STARS at Deptford Cinema (until 06 APR):
- THE TENANT d. Roman Polański, 1976 (21 MAR 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival (21 to 31 MAR).
- Gold On Film (15 to 21 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (13 to 22 MAR).
BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at JW3 (21 MAR 13:30 & 18:30):
- “A bittersweet comedy tells the story of Benjamin (Colin Morgan) a rising star filmmaker, who is thrown into emotional turmoil on the brink of premiering his second film, when Billie, his hard partying publicist, introduces him to a mesmeric French musician called Noah.”
GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at ICA (21 MAR 19:10):
- “Lara is a 15 year-old woman fiercely committed to becoming a professional ballerina. Joining a new school, usual frustrations and challenges of adolescence are heightened as her body does not bend easily to the strict ballet discipline, being born a boy. Despite her stressful surrounding and with the support of her family, Lara prepares for reassignment surgery, pushing her body to its limits.”
WELCOME TO SODOM d. Florian Weigensamer & Christian Krönes, 2018 at DocHouse (21 MAR 14:30):
- “Sodom is the largest electrical waste dump in the world, given its hellish name by the people who live there. How our extremely wasteful, privileged society is seen by those who mend and recycle what we throw away, is food for thought.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- THE AFTERMATH d. James Kent, 2019 at Watermans (15 to 28 MAR). ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 New Restoration at The Prince Charles (until 21 MAR). BACK TO THE FATHERLAND d. Kat Rohrer & Gil Levanon, 2017 presented by UKJF at JW3 (17 to 21 MAR). BLUE NOTE RECORDS: BEYOND THE NOTES d. Sophie Huber, 2018 at DocHouse (15 to 21 MAR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at Arthouse Crouch End (until 21 MAR). DISOBEDIENCE d. Sebastián Lelio, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (18 to 24 MAR). EVERYBODY KNOWS aka Todos lo Saben d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 21 MAR). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (15 to 21 MAR). THE FIGHT d. Jessica Hynes, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 to 21 MAR). FREE SOLO d. Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi & Jimmy Chin, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 21 MAR). IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at Peckhamplex (until 21 MAR). THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER d. Sara Colangelo, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 21 MAR). MAIDEN d. Alex Holmes, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 21 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 21 MAR). RAY & LIZ d. Richard Billingham, 2018 at ICA (until 21 MAR). SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (until 21 MAR). SHAKESPEARE WALLAH d. James Ivory, 1965 at BFI (until 21 MAR). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 21 MAR). TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 at DocHouse (15 to 20 MAR). TIGERS d. Danis Tanovic, 2014 at Watermans (17 to 21 MAR). UNDER THE SILVER LAKE d. David Robert Mitchell, 2018 at The Prince Charles (15 to 21 MAR). WHAT MEN WANT d. Adam Shankman, 2019 at Rich Mix (15 to 21 MAR).
Follow | Get our free newsletter
Sign up for free Friday emails packed full of handpicked highlights.
RADIANT CIRCUS is patron powered, supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a site rebuild to make our listings fully searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Join us at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.