RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
PERMANENT GREEN LIGHT + INTRO by directors Dennis Cooper & Zac Farley at ICA (23 JAN 18:30):
- Artists’ Film Club presents: Roman, a French teenager isn’t interested in sports or drugs, girls or boys. He’s neither nihilistic, religious, or depressive, but what Roman wants is to explode, and his only interest is in ensuring the act’s spectacular effect.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
- INTERVIEW: We chatted to Nuala O’Sullivan, director of the Women Over 50 Film Festival (WOFFF), in advance of the BEST OF THE FEST pop-up at Mother’s Ruin (03 FEB 16:00).
- NOW SHOWING: DRIFTING SHADOWS: MASTERPIECES OF FINNISH CINEMA at Close-Up (18 to 30 JAN).
- NOW BOOKING: DEREK JARMAN SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (23 JAN to 16 APR).
- HOLD THE DATE!! We love a juicy collab, now it’s our turn with friends SUPAKINO and Zodiac Film Club [15 FEB, late at Rio Cinema]. More news very soon…
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE LIBRARY MUSIC FILM + Q&A at Regent Street Cinema (23 JAN 19:30):
- Heavenly Films presents: Some of the best music ever written was never made available to the public. THE LIBRARY MUSIC FILM is a brand new, definitive feature length documentary. The first to tell the story of the mysterious, cult and collectable world of yes, you guessed it, Library Music.
STILL THE ENEMY WIHTIN + Q&A at The Cinema Museum (23 JAN 19:30):
- In 1984, Margaret Thatcher called striking miners “the enemy within”. This award winning documentary tells the story of the year long strike in the miners’ own words.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLOCK PARTY + DJs presented by Scene & Heard at Picturehouse Ritzy (23 JAN 19:00).
- DRAGON BALL SUPER: BROLY at Genesis Cinema (23 JAN 18:20).
- DRAGON BALL SUPER: BROLY at The Prince Charles (23 JAN 18:35 & 21:00).
- THE FAVOURITE at JW3 (23 JAN 15:30).
- INDIVISIBILI presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St. Barnabas Millennium Halls (23 JAN 20:15).
- LOVE HAPPY at Regent Street Cinema (23 JAN 12:00 & 15:30).
- COLD WAR presented by Odyssey Film Club at Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (23 JAN 19:45).
- WIDOWS at The David Lean (23 JAN 19:30).
- THE WILD PEAR TREE at the ICA (23 JAN 12:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BEST OF 2018 at Ciné Lumière (03 to 26 JAN):
- JEUNE FEMME (23 JAN 18:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT at BFI Southbank (03 to 31 JAN):
- THE OTHERS + INTRO by Anna Bogutskaya (23 JAN 18:10).
CHINESE NEW YEAR at BFI Southbank (21 to 31 JAN):
- A WAY OUT UK premiere (23 JAN 20:30).
DEREK JARMAN SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (23 JAN to 16 APR):
- CARAVAGGIO (23 JAN 18:20).
DRIFTING SHADOWS: MASTERPIECES OF FINNISH CINEMA at Close-Up (18 to 30 JAN):
- THE BROAD WAY (23 JAN 20:15).
KIM LONGINOTTO: VIXEN FILMS RETROSPECTIVE at Deptford Cinema (17 to 26 JAN):
- SISTERS IN LAW (23 JAN 19:15).
LAUREL AND HARDY at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- SAPS AT SEA + THE CHIMP (23 JAN 20:40).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- LE AMICHE aka The Girlfriends (23 JAN 18:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today…
HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING at ICA (23 JAN 16:10 & 20:45):
- “Dazzling and sun-drenched, HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING is an innovative, impressionistic portrait of contemporary life in Hale County, Alabama.”
- Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup HERE.
MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS at ArtHouse (23 JAN 12:30, 15:15, 18:00 & 20:45):
- Explores the turbulent life of the charismatic Mary Stuart (Saoirse Ronan). Queen of France at 16 and widowed at 18, Mary defies pressure to remarry. Instead, she returns to her native Scotland to reclaim her rightful throne. But Scotland and England fall under the rule of the compelling Elizabeth I (Margot Robbie).
THE RAFT at Rio Cinema (23 JAN 18:15):
- In 1973, five men and six women drifted across the Atlantic on a raft as part of a scientific experiment studying the sociology of violence, aggression and sexual attraction in human behavior.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A STAR IS BORN at The Prince Charles (until 24 JAN). BEAUTIFUL BOY at Rio Cinema (18 to 24 JAN). BLACK’ 47 at Whirled Cinema (21 to 27 JAN). COLETTE at The Lexi (until 24 JAN). THE FAVOURITE at ICA (until 24 JAN). FREE SOLO at ICA (until 24 JAN). FYRE at The Prince Charles (18 to 24 JAN). THE HOUSE BY THE SEA at Ciné Lumière (until 24 JAN). ITZHAK presented by UKJF at JW3 (20 to 24 JAN). THE OLD MAN & THE GUN at The Prince Charles (18 to 24 JAN). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD at The Prince Charles (until 08 FEB). THE PASSENGER at BFI (until 24 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS at ICA (until 24 JAN). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at The Prince Charles (until 24 JAN). STAN & OLLIE at The Castle Cinema (until 24 JAN). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at DocHouse (until 24 JAN).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.