RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Patrick Cowley SCHOOLDAZE at Rio Cinema (23 FEB 23:35):
- NTS, Fringe! & Dark Entries present: A late night porn soundtrack visual celebration of the life and work of Patrick Cowley at the Rio Cinema! Cowley-scored soundtracks for many late 70s & early 80s gay porn films produced in the San Francisco area, including titles such as SCHOOL DAZE & AFTERNOONERS. These films will be projected in this immersive tribute experience, featuring Dan Beaumont, NTS host & Dalston Superstore resident DJ’ing.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- NEWS: Phoenix Cinema Trust has launched a #PhoenixRising fundraiser.
- SCREEN DIARY: We got lost on the way to HAGAZUSSA at ACF London.
- ZODIAC FILM CLUB: Read Zodiac’s guide to sex education at the movies and Sarah & Jordan’s selfie interview, Zodiac On Zodiac.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
PHANTASM III + PHANTASM IV d. Don Coscarelli, 1994 & 1998 at Genesis Cinema (23 FEB 20:30 – FREE!/Booking recommended).
- Arrow Video presents: “”As we patiently wait for Summer to come, we bring you a series of the finest, funnest B-Movies and cult gems ever to grace our Bar Paragon screen. This Saturday we present another Don Coscarelli double.”
THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2019 + Q&A with the directors at The Castle Cinema (23 FEB 14:45):
- In a world of flux and chaos, it is almost a shock to discover some experiences remain natural, unhurried and unchanged. In the middle of London lies Hampstead Heath, 320 hectares of forest and parkland plus three swimming ponds. People swim in them all year round, whatever the weather, just as they did in the time of Keats and Constable.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLACKkKLANSMAN d. Spike Lee, 2018 at Genesis Cinema (23 FEB 20:40).
- CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (23 FEB 14:00, 16:10, 18:15 & 20:20).
- MEKTOUB, MY LOVE d. Abdellatif Kechiche, 2017 at ICA (23 FEB 15:45).
- MOONLIGHT d. Barry Jenkins, 2016 at Everyman Screen On The Green (23 FEB 23:30).
- MOULIN ROUGE! d. Baz Luhrmann, 2001 + LIVE MUSIC presented by Collective Cinema at St Margaret’s Church, SE13 (23 FEB 20:00).
- TOY STORY d. John Lasseter, 1995 presented by Collective Cinema at St Margaret’s Church, SE13 (23 FEB 17:00).
- TWIN PEAKS Marathon at House Of Vans (22 to 24 FEB – mostly SOLD OUT!).
- WE ARE THE WEIRDOS! d. various, horror shorts presented by The Final Girls at BFI (23 FEB 20:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- ROMA 70mm d. Alfonso Cuarón, 2018 (23 FEB 12:00 & 14:55).
AKIRA KUROSAWA: SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 13 APR):
- I LIVE IN FEAR aka Ikimono no kiroku 35mm d. Akira Kurosawa, 1955 (23 FEB 15:40).
ALL NIGHT / DAY / MINI MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- TAIKA ALL-NIGHTER (23 FEB 21:20).
- THE GODFATHER TRILOGY 35mm d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972-1990 (23 FEB 21:30).
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- ROMA 70mm d. Alfonso Cuarón, 2018 (23 FEB 12:00 & 14:55).
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY: SING ALONG d. Bryan Singer, 2018 (23 FEB 18:00).
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (23 FEB 19:00).
A TRIBUTE TO BRUNO GANZ at ICA (22 to 28 FEB):
- THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT d. Lars von Trier, 2018 (23 FEB 12:35).
- WINGS OF DESIRE d. Wim Wenders, 1987 (23 FEB 15:35).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- BREATHLESS d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1960 (23 FEB 18:20).
CLOSE-UP ON LUIS BUÑUEL at Close-Up (01 to 27 FEB):
- THE PHANTOM OF LIBERTY d. Luis Buñuel, 1974 (23 FEB 20:00).
CLOSE-UP ON VERA CHYTILOVÁ at Close-Up (13 FEB to 01 MAR):
- FRUIT OF PARADISE d. Vera Chytilová, 1970 (23 FEB 18:00).
FORGOTTEN BLACK TV DRAMA at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- CARBON COPY + BLACK FEET IN THE SNOW d. Piers Haggard, 1975 + Brian Skilton, 1974 (23 FEB 20:30).
LOVE? at Deptford Cinema (09 to 23 FEB):
- BUFFALO’66 d. Vincent Gallo, 1998 (23 FEB 19:30).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- RED DESERT d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1964 (23 FEB 20:45).
OSCAR®️ WEEK at Barbican (21 to 28 FEB):
- CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 (23 FEB 15:20, 18:00 & 20:35).
- THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 (23 FEB 17:55).
- A STAR IS BORN d. Bradley Cooper, 2018 (23 FEB 20:25).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- THE LADY EVE d. Preston Sturgess, 1941 (23 FEB 15:50, 18:30 & 20:35).
- CLASH BY NIGHT 35mm d. Fritz Lang, 1952 (23 FEB 18:10).
WALT DISNEY SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 23 MAR):
- PETER PAN d. Clyde Geronimi & Wilfred Jackson, 1953 (23 FEB 13:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI Future Film Festival (21 to 24 FEB).
- Doc’n Roll Festival – RUDEBOY: THE STORY OF TROJAN RECORDS d. Nicolas Jack Davies, 2018 (23 FEB 16:30, Rio Cinema).
- OpenFest: Art 50 (23 FEB, Barbican).
- QueerBee Festival – Fantasy (23 FEB 15:00, Deptford Cinema).
HOME GAMES d. Alisa Kovalenko, 2018 at DocHouse (23 FEB 16:30):
- In Kiev, twenty year old Alina dreams of making the national women’s football team. She’s got a good shot – a standout since the age of seven, she’s now a premier league player. But there are more than a few obstacles standing in her way – not least the fact that her ex-con mother has left her in charge of her young brother and sister.
ON THE BASIS OF SEX d. Mimi Leder, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (23 FEB 15:30, 18:15 & 21:00):
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a struggling attorney and new mother who faces adversity and numerous obstacles in her fight for equal rights. When Ruth takes on a groundbreaking tax case with her husband, attorney Martin Ginsburg, she knows it could change the direction of her career and the way the courts view gender discrimination.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 28 FEB). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (22 to 28 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at ArtHouse (until 28 FEB). DESTROYER d. Karyn Kusama, 2018 at Watermans (22 to 28 FEB). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Rich Mix (until 28 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (until 28 FEB). IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 FEB). JELLYFISH d. James Gardner, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 FEB). LONDON UNPLUGGED d. various, 2019 at ICA (22 to 28 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 28 FEB). SWEET COUNTRY d. Warwick Thornton, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (25 FEB to 03 MAR). THE SILENCE OF OTHERS d. Almudena Carracedo & Robert Bahar, 2018 at DocHouse (until 27 FEB).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.