RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
LET THE SUMMER NEVER COME AGAIN d. Alexandre Koberidze, 2017 at Close-Up (24 FEB 18:00).
- Lost Futures & Kinet Media present: A young man leaves his village to audition for a dance company in town. He starts getting involved in illegal activities. He goes to bed with men for money. He falls in love with a man. He starts performing with a dance company. So begins Georgian filmmaker Alexandre Koberidze’s first feature, and before long what may seem like a fairly straightforward film proves itself to be a source of frequent wonders.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- NEWS: Phoenix Cinema Trust has launched a #PhoenixRising fundraiser.
- SCREEN DIARY: We got lost on the way to HAGAZUSSA at Austrian Cultural Forum London.
- ZODIAC FILM CLUB: Read Zodiac’s guide to sex education at the movies and Sarah & Jordan’s selfie interview, Zodiac On Zodiac.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 + Q&A with producer Carlo Cresto-Dina at Genesis Cinema (24 FEB 15:00).
- CinemaItaliaUK presents: Lazzaro, a good-hearted young peasant, and Tancredi, a young nobleman cursed by his imagination, form a life-altering bond when Tancredi asks Lazzaro to help him orchestrate his own kidnapping.
TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 + Q&A with the director at ArtHouse Crouch End (24 FEB 15:20):
- Teddy was poised to be the biggest R&B artist of all time with five consecutive platinum albums. But his career was halted by a 1982 car accident that left him paralyzed at age 31. This definitive biography, set to a soulful soundtrack, captures revealing interviews with his closest associates to trace his rise, fall and comeback at Live Aid.
TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME d. David Lynch, 1992 + INTRO/BOOK SIGNING by Lindsay Hallam at Genesis Cinema (24 FEB 20:30):
- “Join us on February 24th – the day Dale Cooper arrived in Twin Peaks – for a very special screening of TWIN PEAKS : FIRE WALK WITH ME. We’ll be joined by Lindsay Hallam who will introduce the screening and will sign copies of her book Devil’s Advocates – Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me available in advance and on the night at 25% off the usual price.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 12 ANGRY MEN 16mm d. Sidney Lumet, 1957 at The Castle Cinema (24 FEB 15:00).
- BERGMAN: A YEAR IN A LIFE d. Jane Magnusson, 2018 at DocHouse (24 FEB 16:00).
- BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOUR d. Abdellatif Kechiche, 2013 at ICA (24 FEB 12:30).
- CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (24 FEB 17:15 & 19:20).
- Double Bill THE FLYING DEUCES d. A Edward Sutherland, 1939 + STAN & OLLIE d. John S. Baird, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (24 FEB 13:30 + 15:00).
- FAR FROM THE TREE d. Rachel Dretzin & Jamila Ephron, 2018 at Lexi Cinema (24 FEB 14:00).
- THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at ICA (24 FEB 15:55).
- LOVELESS d. Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (24 FEB 18:00).
- MEKTOUB, MY LOVE d. Abdellatif Kechiche, 2017 at ICA (24 FEB 15:45).
- OF LOVE & LAW d. Hikaru Toda, 2017 + Q&A with the director at DocHouse (24 FEB 18:30).
- THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (24 FEB 16:00).
- Russian Witches and Vampires: VIY d. Konstantin Ershov & Georgiy Kropachyov, 1967 + THE NIGHT OF THE DEVILS d. Giorgio Ferroni, 1972 presented by World Wide Weird! at Helgi’s Bar E8 (24 FEB 19:00).
- STUDIO GHIBLI: THE KINGDOM OF DREAMS & MADNESS d. Mami Sunada, 2013 presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Five Bells (24 FEB 15:00).
- TANGERINE d. Sean Baker, 2015 presented by Catford Film at Catford Constitutional Club (24 FEB 19:30).
- THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS d. Tim Wardle, 2018 at The Prince Charles (24 FEB 21:10).
- TWIN PEAKS Marathon at House Of Vans (22 to 24 FEB – mostly SOLD OUT!).
- WE ARE THE WEIRDOS! d. various, horror shorts presented by The Final Girls at Rio Cinema (24 FEB 15:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- ROMA 70mm d. Alfonso Cuarón, 2018 (24 FEB 15:35).
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (24 FEB 12:15 & 18:40).
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (24 FEB 14:40).
- ROMA 70mm d. Alfonso Cuarón, 2018 (24 FEB 15:35).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- RAGING BULL d. Martin Scorsese, 1980 (24 FEB 19:50).
THE FILMS OF PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON at The Prince Charles (until 08 JUL):
- MAGNOLIA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999 (24 FEB 17:25).
FRENCH CLASSICS SPECIAL CÉSAR AWARDS at Ciné Lumière (03 to 24 FEB):
- SMOKING / NO SMOKING 35mm d. Alain Resnais, 1993 (24 FEB 14:00).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- THE PASSENGER d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975 (24 FEB 17:15).
OSCAR®️ WEEK at Barbican (21 to 28 FEB):
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 (24 FEB 17:55).
- CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 (24 FEB 18:00).
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY d. Bryan Singer, 2018 (24 FEB 20:25).
SCI-FI SUNDAYS at Deptford Cinema (until 26 MAY):
- ARRIVAL + Film Quiz d. Denis Villeneuve, 2016 (24 FEB 15:30).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- THE LADY EVE d. Preston Sturgess, 1941 (24 FEB 15:10, 17:30 & 20:20).
- STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS 35mm d. Lewis Milestone, 1946 (24 FEB 17:40).
- ALL I DESIRE d. Douglas Sirk, 1953 (24 FEB 19:55).
WE LOVE GILDA! at Phoenix Cinema (until 24 FEB):
- HAUNTED HONEYMOON 35mm d. Gene Wilder + INTRO by The Celluloid Sorceress aka Rebecca Nicole Williams (24 FEB 14:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI Future Film Festival (21 to 24 FEB).
HOME GAMES d. Alisa Kovalenko, 2018 at DocHouse (24 FEB 21:00):
- In Kiev, twenty year old Alina dreams of making the national women’s football team. She’s got a good shot – a standout since the age of seven, she’s now a premier league player. But there are more than a few obstacles standing in her way – not least the fact that her ex-con mother has left her in charge of her young brother and sister.
ON THE BASIS OF SEX d. Mimi Leder, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (24 FEB 14:05, 17:55 & 20:45):
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a struggling attorney and new mother who faces adversity and numerous obstacles in her fight for equal rights. When Ruth takes on a groundbreaking tax case with her husband, attorney Martin Ginsburg, she knows it could change the direction of her career and the way the courts view gender discrimination.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 28 FEB). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (22 to 28 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at ArtHouse (until 28 FEB). DESTROYER d. Karyn Kusama, 2018 at Watermans (22 to 28 FEB). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Rich Mix (until 28 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (until 28 FEB). IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 FEB). JELLYFISH d. James Gardner, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 FEB). LONDON UNPLUGGED d. various, 2019 at ICA (22 to 28 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 28 FEB). SWEET COUNTRY d. Warwick Thornton, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (25 FEB to 03 MAR). THE SILENCE OF OTHERS d. Almudena Carracedo & Robert Bahar, 2018 at DocHouse (until 27 FEB).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.