RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
TALK: Big Screen Little Screen, Jews in British Cinema and Television by Rachel Kolsky + THE SMALL WORLD OF SAMMY LEE d. Ken Hughes, 1963 at Phoenix Cinema (24 MAR 14:30):
- “Join Rachel Kolsky for a trip from the East End and Stamford Hill, through Soho, the ‘Mittel Europe’ of NW2 and NW6 and suburban Edgware to celebrate how the journey of London Jews has been portrayed on the big screen. Some of the films that Rachel will discuss are original celluloid treats, while others are films that are based on books and plays.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- Genesis Cinema has announced a new David Lynch season called, appropriately enough, SECRETS, MYSTERY, ABSURDITY: THE WORLD OF DAVID LYNCH (02 to 25 APR).
- East End Film Festival announces a year of horror in the Masonic temple at Andaz Liverpool Street.
- The Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR) is an essential element of London’s indie film calendar.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
IN DER DÄMMERSTUNDE BERLIN DE L’AUBE À LA NUIT 16mm d. Annik Leroy, 1980 + Q&A with the director at Deptford Cinema (24 MAR 16:00):
- “In the cold winter of 1980, Annik Leroy goes back to Berlin hoping to recapture the feeling she had experienced on her first visit. There, as she wanders along the Wall, she films the streets in gorgeous monochrome and records conversations with strangers reckoning with Germany’s violent past — creating all at once an Akerman-esque portrait of the city, an inquiry into the idea of collective guilt, and a deeply immersive journal of solitude.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 at The Prince Charles (24 MAR 12:45).
- A TRIP TO THE MOON d. Joaquín Cambre, 2018 at ICA (24 MAR 14:30).
- BORDER d. Ali Abbasi, 2018 at Barbican (24 MAR 15:45).
- DISOBEDIENCE d. Sebastián Lelio, 2017 at Whirled Cinema ( 24 MAR 18:00).
- GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (24 MAR 16:30).
- THE GREAT ESCAPE d. John Sturges, 1963 Gala Screening at Curzon – various (24 MAR 17:45).
- IL VIZIO DELLA SPERANZA aka The Promise Of Hope d. Edoardo De Angelis, 2018 presented by CinemaItaliaUK at Genesis Cinema (24 MAR 15:00).
- HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (24 MAR 12:25).
- IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at Peckhamplex (24 MAR 13:30).
- JONI 75: A BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION at Picturehouse Central (24 MAR 15:30).
- THE PHILADELPHIA STORY d. George Cukor, 1940 at Regent Street Cinema (24 MAR 12:00).
- THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 + Q&A with the filmmakers at The Lexi (24 MAR 15:00).
- THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION 35mm d. Frank Darabont, 1994 at The Prince Charles (24 MAR 18:10).
- Storyville Sundays: THE TRIAL OF RATKO MLADIC d. Henry Singer & Rob Miller, 2019 + INTRO by the directors at Frontline Club (24 MAR 15:00).
- SYLVIA PLATH: INSIDE THE BELL JAR d. Teresa Griffiths, 2018 presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Five Bells (24 MAR 19:30).
- THE WILD BUNCH d. Sam Peckinpah, 1969 at Picturehouse Central (24 MAR 13:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (24 MAR 15:20).
CLOSE-UP ON ANDREI TARKOVSKY at Close-Up (02 to 31 MAR):
- SOLARIS d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972 (24 MAR 19:30 – Currently looking SOLD OUT).
EUROPEAN CLASSICS at Ciné Lumière (03 to 31 MAR):
- WINGS OF DESIRE d. Wim Wenders, 1987 (24 MAR 14:00).
THE FILMS OF JEAN-MARIE STRAUB AND DANIÈLE HUILLET Goethe-Institut & partners’ epic season starts at BFI Southbank, Birkbeck Cinema, Goethe-Institut & ICA (MAR to JUN):
- TOO EARLY, TOO LATE d. Danièle Huillet & Jean-Marie Straub, 1980-1 (24 MAR 14:15, ICA).
HAYAO MIYAZAKI AND THE LEGENDARY STUDIO GHIBLI at Genesis Cinema (01 to 24 MAR):
- WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE d. Hiromasa Yonebayashi, 2014 (24 MAR 20:05).
KAIJU CHAOS at House Of Vans (08 to 31 MAR – Free! no booking required):
- THE BLOB (24 MAR 14:00 & 16:00).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles (until 21 APR):
- HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2004 at (24 MAR 15:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival (21 to 31 MAR).
- Chronic Youth Film Festival 2019 (23 to 24 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR).
- Soundscreen Music & Film Festival (22 to 27 MAR).
- Turquazz Festival (13 to 30 MAR).
MINDING THE GAP d. Bing Liu, 2018 at The Prince Charles (24 MAR 20:45):
- “Bing Liu’s Academy Award®-nominated documentary is a coming-of-age saga drawing on over 12 years of footage in his Rust Belt hometown hit hard by decades of recession. In his quest to understand why so many of his peers in the skateboarding community ran away from home when they were younger, Bing follows 23-year-old Zack as he becomes a father and 17-year-old Keire as he gets his first job.”
SCOTTY AND THE SECRET HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD d. Matt Tyrnauer, 2018 at DocHouse (24 MAR 16:10):
- “Scotty Bowers was a busy man in his youth. Working at a gas station in Hollywood that brought him in close proximity with the stars, Bowers found he could offer other services that were more profitable and risqué. With a group of young handsome studs, Bowers offered gay hook-ups for Hollywood stars who had to put on a straight front post-production code moral panic of the 1930s.”
US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (24 MAR 13:10, 17:45 & 20:30):
- “Accompanied by her family, Adelaide Wilson returns to the beachfront home where she grew up as a child. Haunted by a traumatic experience from the past, Adelaide grows increasingly concerned that something bad is going to happen. Her worst fears soon become a reality when four masked strangers descend upon the house, forcing the Wilsons into a fight for survival.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 30 (SHORT) + BELOVED DAYS d. Constantinos Patsalides, 2018 + 2015 at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 MAR). BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 MAR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at The Prince Charles (22 to 28 MAR). DRIVER d. Yehonatan Indursky, 2017 at JW3 (24 to 28 MAR). EVERYBODY KNOWS aka Todos lo Saben d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 28 MAR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at ICA (until 27 MAR). THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHERd. Sara Colangelo, 2018 at Watermans (22 to 28 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 28 MAR). RAY & LIZ d. Richard Billingham, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SORRY ANGEL aka Plaire, aimer et courir vite d. Christophe Honoré, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (22 MAR to 04 APR). UNDER THE SILVER LAKE d. David Robert Mitchell, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 28 MAR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (22 to 28 MAR). WIDOWS d. Steve McQueen, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (25 to 31 MAR).
Follow us | Get our free newsletter
Sign up for free Friday emails packed full of handpicked highlights.
RADIANT CIRCUS is patron powered, supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a site rebuild to make our listings fully searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Join us at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.