RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN d. Penny Marshall, 1992 + INTRO by Kate Stables at The Prince Charles (25 FEB 20:30):
- Bechdel Test Fest presents: “For us, A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN is the perfect film to remember Penny Marshall with, as it captures the vivacious, unified spirit of women pulling together and making the best out of a bad situation.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- NEWS: Phoenix Cinema Trust has launched a #PhoenixRising fundraiser – help save this much-loved venue.
- SCREEN DIARY: We got lost on the way to HAGAZUSSA at Austrian Cultural Forum London.
- ZODIAC FILM CLUB: Read Zodiac’s guide to sex education at the movies and Sarah & Jordan’s selfie interview, Zodiac On Zodiac.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
AMERICAN: THE BILL HICKS STORY d. Matt Harlock & Paul Thomas, 2009 + Skype Q&A with Steve Hicks at Curzon Soho (25 FEB 18:15):
- The true life story of the outlaw comic who tried to save the world. Bill Hicks died on Feb 26th 1994, and since then his reputation has only grown. Regularly voted one of the top comics of all time, this award winning documentary recounts his fascinating and ultimately uplifting life story, told by those that knew him best.
CRASH d. David Cronenberg, 1996 + INTRO by Jonathan Romney at London Review Bookshop (25 FEB 19:00):
- “Marking 10 years since the death of JG Ballard, we’re delighted to welcome Jonathan Romney (Sight & Sound, Observer, Film Comment, Screen) to reflect on David Cronenberg’s controversial adaptation of the great writer’s most unsettling novel, as well as his own meeting with Ballard in Cannes for the film.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE d. Catherine Corsini, 2018 at JW3 (25 FEB 15:20).
- DOGTOOTH d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2009 at The Prince Charles (25 FEB 18:20).
- LONDON UNPLUGGED d. various, 2019 + Q&A at Everyman Baker Street (25 FEB 19:15).
- ON HER SHOULDERS d. Alexandria Bombach, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (25 FEB 20:50).
- Tales Of The Silk Road – Chapter 2: Lebanon short film programme presented by Bagri Foundation & Shorts On Tap at Rich Mix (25 FEB 19:00).
- THE WOUND d. John Trengove, 2017 presented by DCQ at Deptford Cinema (25 FEB 19:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- ROMA 70mm d. Alfonso Cuarón, 2018 (25 FEB 20:50).
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018 (25 FEB 13:05).
- RBG d. Julie Cohen & Betsy West, 2018 (25 FEB 13:15).
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (25 FEB 15:50 & 18:25).
- ROMA 70mm d. Alfonso Cuarón, 2018 (25 FEB 20:50).
BE THE COWBOY: THE CINEMA OF ULRICH KÖHLER at Deptford Cinema & Goethe-Institut (18 to 27 FEB):
- SLEEPING SICKNESS d. Ulrich Köhler, 2011 (25 FEB 19:00, Goethe-Institut).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- RAGING BULL d. Martin Scorsese, 1980 (25 FEB 20:35).
CLOSE-UP ON LUIS BUÑUEL at Close-Up (01 to 27 FEB):
- UN CHIEN ANDALOU + L’AGE D’OR d. Luis Buñuel & Salvador Dalí, 1928/1930 (25 FEB 20:15).
FORGOTTEN BLACK TV DRAMA at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- THE HOPE AND THE GLORY + NICE d. Graeme Harper, 1984 + Graeme Harper, 1984 (25 FEB 18:15).
OSCAR®️ WEEK at Barbican (21 to 28 FEB):
- GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 (25 FEB 18:00).
- VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 (25 FEB 20:25).
- CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 (25 FEB 20:35).
RICHARD LINKLATER’S THE BEFORE TRILOGY at The Prince Charles (25 to 28 FEB):
- BEFORE SUNRISE 35mm d. Richard Linklater, 1995 (25 FEB 15:30).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL ZEN d. Frank Capra, 1932 (25 FEB 14:30).
- THE LADY EVE d. Preston Sturgess, 1941 (25 FEB 18:10 & 20:40).
- CLASH BY NIGHT 35mm d. Fritz Lang, 1952 (25 FEB 20:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We haven’t discovered any film festivals in London today, but we probably haven’t looked hard enough…
HOME GAMES d. Alisa Kovalenko, 2018 at DocHouse (25 FEB 18:40):
- In Kiev, twenty year old Alina dreams of making the national women’s football team. She’s got a good shot – a standout since the age of seven, she’s now a premier league player. But there are more than a few obstacles standing in her way – not least the fact that her ex-con mother has left her in charge of her young brother and sister.
ON THE BASIS OF SEX d. Mimi Leder, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (25 FEB 15:15, 18:00 & 21:00):
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a struggling attorney and new mother who faces adversity and numerous obstacles in her fight for equal rights. When Ruth takes on a groundbreaking tax case with her husband, attorney Martin Ginsburg, she knows it could change the direction of her career and the way the courts view gender discrimination.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 28 FEB). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (22 to 28 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at ArtHouse (until 28 FEB). DESTROYER d. Karyn Kusama, 2018 at Watermans (22 to 28 FEB). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Rich Mix (until 28 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (until 28 FEB). IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 FEB). JELLYFISH d. James Gardner, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 FEB). LONDON UNPLUGGED d. various, 2019 at ICA (22 to 28 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 28 FEB). SWEET COUNTRY d. Warwick Thornton, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (25 FEB to 03 MAR). THE SILENCE OF OTHERS d. Almudena Carracedo & Robert Bahar, 2018 at DocHouse (until 27 FEB).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.