SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 25.03.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
The Liberated Film Club III + Sean Price Williams at Close-Up (25 MAR 20:15):
- “Because you’re sick of knowing exactly what you’re going to get and you’re sick when you get it.” The Liberated Film Club continues its monthly fixture, featuring a special guest introducing an unknown short and feature. New York-based cinematographer Sean Price Williams is our special guest for the third instalment.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- East End Film Festival announces a year of horror in the Masonic temple at Andaz Liverpool Street.
- Genesis Cinema has announced a new David Lynch season called, appropriately enough, SECRETS, MYSTERY, ABSURDITY: THE WORLD OF DAVID LYNCH (02 to 25 APR).
- RADIANT CIRCUS is celebrating our first year of reader subscriptions by inviting you to discover more #LDNindieFILM.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
CHILDREN OF THE SNOW LAND d. Zara Balfour & Marcus Stephenson + Q&A the directors with Tsering Deki Lama, Nima Gurung & Jeewan Mahatara at Curzon Wimbledon (25 MAR 18:30).
- “The story of a group of children born in the High Himalayas of Nepal – a remote area where life is extremely tough. From just four years old, some children are sent by their parents to school in the capital city, Kathmandu, in the hope that education will give them a better chance in life. Upon graduation, aged 16, the children are make the trek home: an arduous journey across mountains that takes them to the highest inhabited place on the planet.”
TIGERS d. Danis Tanovic, 2014 + PANEL at Frontline Club (25 MAR 19:00):
- “From Oscar-winning director, Danis Tanovic (NO MAN’S LAND), comes a true story 12 years in the making. A Pakistani salesman, employed by Nestlé, one of the world’s largest corporations, learns that his promotion of baby formula to doctors is causing babies to die. He risks everything to make it stop, taking on the industry with the help of Cambridge-based Baby Milk Action IBFAN UK.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLUE NOTE RECORDS: BEYOND THE NOTES d. Sophie Huer, 2018 at DocHouse (25 MAR 20:30).
- BORDER d. Ali Abbasi, 2018 at Barbican (25 MAR 15:30).
- BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at Arthouse Crouch End (25 MAR 16:00).
- BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at The Lexi (25 MAR 18:20).
- BLACKkKLANSMAN d. Spike Lee, 2018 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Fest Camden Rooftop Cinema (25 MAR 19:00).
- H IS FOR HARRY d. Ed Owles & Jaime Taylor, 2019 at DocHouse (25 MAR 18:30).
- THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER d. Sara Colangelo, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (25 MAR 14:15).
- Short Film Night at Moving Pictures (25 MAR 19:00).
- THE WILD BUNCH 35mm d. Sam Peckinpah, 1969 at The Prince Charles (25 MAR 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (25 MAR 13:10).
MARTIN SCORSESE SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 18 JUL):
- RAGING BULL 35mm d. Martin Scorsese, 1980 (25 MAR 18:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival (21 to 31 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR).
- Soundscreen Music & Film Festival (22 to 27 MAR).
- Turquazz Festival (13 to 30 MAR).
MINDING THE GAP d. Bing Liu, 2018 at The Prince Charles (25 MAR 15:45):
- “Bing Liu’s Academy Award®-nominated documentary is a coming-of-age saga drawing on over 12 years of footage in his Rust Belt hometown hit hard by decades of recession. In his quest to understand why so many of his peers in the skateboarding community ran away from home when they were younger, Bing follows 23-year-old Zack as he becomes a father and 17-year-old Keire as he gets his first job.”
SCOTTY AND THE SECRET HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD d. Matt Tyrnauer, 2018 at DocHouse (25 MAR 16:20):
- “Scotty Bowers was a busy man in his youth. Working at a gas station in Hollywood that brought him in close proximity with the stars, Bowers found he could offer other services that were more profitable and risqué. With a group of young handsome studs, Bowers offered gay hook-ups for Hollywood stars who had to put on a straight front post-production code moral panic of the 1930s.”
US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (25 MAR 18:00 & 20:45):
- “Accompanied by her family, Adelaide Wilson returns to the beachfront home where she grew up as a child. Haunted by a traumatic experience from the past, Adelaide grows increasingly concerned that something bad is going to happen. Her worst fears soon become a reality when four masked strangers descend upon the house, forcing the Wilsons into a fight for survival.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 30 (SHORT) + BELOVED DAYS d. Constantinos Patsalides, 2018 + 2015 at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 MAR). BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 MAR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at The Prince Charles (22 to 28 MAR). DRIVER d. Yehonatan Indursky, 2017 at JW3 (24 to 28 MAR). EVERYBODY KNOWS aka Todos lo Saben d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 28 MAR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at ICA (until 27 MAR). THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER d. Sara Colangelo, 2018 at Watermans (22 to 28 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 28 MAR). RAY & LIZ d. Richard Billingham, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SORRY ANGEL aka Plaire, aimer et courir vite d. Christophe Honoré, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (22 MAR to 04 APR). UNDER THE SILVER LAKE d. David Robert Mitchell, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 28 MAR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (22 to 28 MAR). WIDOWS d. Steve McQueen, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (25 to 31 MAR).
Follow us | Get our free newsletter
Twitter @radiantcircus | Instagram @radiantcircus
Sign up for free Friday emails packed full of handpicked highlights.
RADIANT CIRCUS is patron powered, supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a site rebuild to make our listings fully searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Join us at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.