RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
THE CITY WITHOUT JEWS d. Hans Karl Breslauer, 1924 + INTRO by Fumiko Tsuneishi & LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Stephen Horne at BFI Southbank (26 FEB 18:20):
- The Austrian Film Archive’s restoration of THE CITY WITHOUT JEWS, recently unearthed in a Paris flea market and presented with its original tints. The film is a biting satire on anti-Semitism and the rise of the far-right in an era of economic crisis.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- NEWS: Barge Fiodra moors at Limehouse Basin for two watery days of film [01 to 02 MAR]
- NEWS: Phoenix Cinema Trust has launched a #PhoenixRising fundraiser – help save this much-loved venue.
- SCREEN DIARY: We got lost on the way to HAGAZUSSA at Austrian Cultural Forum London.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
A CAMBODIAN SPRING d. Chris Kelly, 2016 + Q&A with the director at ArtHouse Crouch End (26 FEB 19:40):
- An intimate and unique portrait of three people caught up in the chaotic and often violent development that is shaping modern-day Cambodia. Shot over 6 years, the film charts the growing wave of land-rights protests that led to the ‘Cambodian Spring’ and the tragic events that followed.
THE PIANO d. Jane Campion, 1993 + LIVE SCORE by London Contemporary Orchestra at Barbican (26 FEB 20:00):
- Jane Campion’s Oscar-winning gothic romance is screened with a live performance of Michael Nyman’s emotion-laden score by members of the London Contemporary Orchestra.
SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 + Q&A with the director & actor Félix Maritaud at ICA (26 FEB 18:15):
- Leo (Félix Maritaud) is a 22-year-old sex worker who yearns for affection. In poor health and with no fixed address, he finds fleeting solace in the arms of the men he meets through his work.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A COUPLE OF DOWN AND OUTS d. Walter Summers, 1923 + INTRO by Sir Sydney Samuelson at The David Lean (26 FEB 19:30).
- BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at Genesis Cinema (26 FEB 18:15).
- CONCRETE SOLDIERS UK + Q&A at Rio Cinema (26 FEB 19:00).
- GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Bloomsbury (26 FEB 18:15).
- HANNAH d. Andrea Pallaoro, 2017 + Q&A by Charlotte Rampling at Curzon Mayfair (26 FEB 18:30).
- THE HAPPY PRINCE d. Rupert Everett, 2018 + Q&A with Gill Plain presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (26 FEB 20:30).
- The Late Bill Hicks: Live Bill Hicks – REVELATIONS d. Chris Bould, 1993 at BFI (26 FEB 20:40).
- LONDON UNPLUGGED d. various + Q&A at The Castle Cinema (26 FEB 18:45).
- LOVE & DEATH ON LONG ISLAND d. Richard Kwietniowski, 1997 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at Lord Palmerston (26 FEB 20:00).
- MAGIC MEDICINE d. Monty Wates, 2018 + Q&A with contributor Professor David Nutt at Regent Street Cinema (26 FEB 19:30).
- MEKTOUB, MY LOVE d. Abdellatif Kechiche, 2017 at ICA (26 FEB 14:20).
- OF LOVE & LAW d. Hikaru Toda, 2017 + Q&A with the director & producer Elhum Shakerifar at BFI (26 FEB 18:15).
- THE PASSENGER d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975 at Genesis Cinema (26 FEB 21:10).
- TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 at DocHouse (26 FEB 20:40).
- THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERSd. Tim Wardle, 2018 at The Prince Charles (26 FEB 15:30).
- WHO KILLED NANCY? d. Alan G Parker, 2009 + Q&A with the director at Everyman Baker Street (26 FEB 20:15).
- WOMAN WALKS AHEAD d. Susanna White, 2017 at Picturehouse Gate (26 FEB 18:00 – Other Picturehouses are available!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- DUNE 70mm d. David Lynch, 1984 (26 FEB 20:45).
AGNÈS VARDA: GLEANING TRUTHS at The Prince Charles (until 06 MAY):
- JACQUOT DE NANTES d. Agnès Varda, 1991 (26 FEB 18:20).
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (26 FEB 12:35 & 21:00).
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018 (26 FEB 12:45).
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (26 FEB 18:05).
A TRIBUTE TO BRUNO GANZ at ICA (22 to 28 FEB):
- THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT d. Lars von Trier, 2018 (26 FEB 12:35).
- WINGS OF DESIRE d. Wim Wenders, 1987 (26 FEB 20:50).
CLOSE-UP ON LUIS BUÑUEL at Close-Up (01 to 27 FEB):
- Film Course: Surrealism in Cinema from Luis Buñuel to David Lynch (26 FEB to 26 MAR – some places left!).
EARLY KOREAN CINEMA: LOST FILMS FROM THE JAPANESE COLONIAL PERIOD at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- TUITION d. Choi In-gyu & Bang Han-joon, 1940 (26 FEB 20:30).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- THE PASSENGER d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975 (26 FEB 14:30).
OSCAR®️ WEEK at Barbican (21 to 28 FEB):
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- THE LADY EVE d. Preston Sturgess, 1941 (26 FEB 18:10 & 20:50).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Cinema Made In Italy (26 FEB to 03 MAR).
HOME GAMES d. Alisa Kovalenko, 2018 at DocHouse (26 FEB 14:30):
- In Kiev, twenty year old Alina dreams of making the national women’s football team. She’s got a good shot – a standout since the age of seven, she’s now a premier league player. But there are more than a few obstacles standing in her way – not least the fact that her ex-con mother has left her in charge of her young brother and sister.
ON THE BASIS OF SEX d. Mimi Leder, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (26 FEB 15:15, 18:15 & 21:00):
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a struggling attorney and new mother who faces adversity and numerous obstacles in her fight for equal rights. When Ruth takes on a groundbreaking tax case with her husband, attorney Martin Ginsburg, she knows it could change the direction of her career and the way the courts view gender discrimination.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 28 FEB). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (22 to 28 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at ArtHouse (until 28 FEB). DESTROYER d. Karyn Kusama, 2018 at Watermans (22 to 28 FEB). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Rich Mix (until 28 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (until 28 FEB). IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 FEB). JELLYFISH d. James Gardner, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 FEB). LONDON UNPLUGGED d. various, 2019 at ICA (22 to 28 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 28 FEB). SWEET COUNTRY d. Warwick Thornton, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (25 FEB to 03 MAR). THE SILENCE OF OTHERS d. Almudena Carracedo & Robert Bahar, 2018 at DocHouse (until 27 FEB).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.