RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
THE HEIRESSES d. Marcelo Martinessi, 2018 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Wimbledon (26 MAR 20:30):
- Wimbledon Film Club presents: “A film about the fragility of women’s financial security in a male-dominated society and the need to find inner resources. A sympathetically observed slice of social realism, as a class of Paraguayan women lose their wealth and status and learn to cope with change as the highly stratified society they knew rapidly fades.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- Following a recent screening at ArtHouse Crouch End, we chatted with ABOUT A WAR (2018) co-directors Daniele Rugo & Abi Weaver about their film, its origins & its future in the UK & Lebanon.
- East End Film Festival starts their year of horror in the Masonic temple at Andaz Liverpool Street with HEREDITARY (28 MAR).
- LIVES UNWRITTEN season continues with Ousmane Sembène’s BLACK GIRL + TALK by Miranda Armstrong at The Geffrye Museum (06 APR). RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers get a 15% discount.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
OUT OF BLUE d. Carol Morley, 2018 + INTRO by the director at Picturehouse Central (26 MAR 20:00 – Currently looking SOLD OUT):
- “When homicide detective Mike Hoolihan (Patricia Clarkson) is called to investigate the murder of a leading astrophysicist in New Orleans, she is confronted by a mystery that begins to affect her in ways she had never expected.”
THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 + Q&A with screenwriter David Hare at Phoenix Cinema (26 MAR 19:00):
- “From Nureyev’s poverty-stricken childhood in the Soviet city of Ufa, to his blossoming as a student dancer in Leningrad, to his nail-biting escape from the KGB and defection to the West at the height of the Cold War, THE WHITE CROW is a gripping, revelatory look at a unique artist who transformed the world of ballet forever.”
- Enjoys a grind show run at the same venue.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at The Lexi (26 MAR 18:20).
- BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at Arthouse Crouch End (26 MAR 20:45).
- BOY ERASED d. Joel Edgerton, 2018 at The David Lean (26 MAR 19:30).
- CRADLE OF CHAMPIONS d. Bartle Bull, 2017 at The Prince Charles (26 MAR 15:30).
- CRAZY RICH ASIANS d. Jon M. Chu, 2018 at Fest Camden Rooftop Cinema (26 MAR 19:00).
- CREED II d. Steven Caple Jr., 2018 + SUPPER/Q&A presented by Welcome Cinema + Kitchen at Amnesty International (26 MAR 18:00).
- DESPAIR d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1978 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (26 MAR 20:00).
- DIANA ROSS: HER LIFE, LOVE & LEGACY + INTRO by Son Of Tutu & David Robson at Picturehouse Clapham (26 MAR 20:30 – Other Picturehouse available, without Son of Tutu).
- GHOSTBUSTERS d. Ivan Reitman, 1984 presented by Truman’s at Genesis Cinema (26 MAR 21:00 + a beverage of your choosing).
- HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 at Picturehouse Central (26 MAR 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER d. Sara Colangelo, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (26 MAR 11:00 P&B).
- LONDON UNPLUGGED d. various, 2018 + Q&A with filmmakers at Everyman Baker Street (26 MAR 19:30).
- THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 at DocHouse (26 MAR 16:45).
- WELCOME TO SODOM d. Florian Weigensamer & Christian Krönes, 2018 at DocHouse (26 MAR 18:40 MAR).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AKIRA KUROSAWA: SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 13 APR):
- RED BEARD 35mm d. Akira Kurosawa, 1965 (26 MAR 20:10).
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (26 MAR 17:50).
CELEBRATING PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN at The Prince Charles (06 JAN to 15 JUL):
- FLAWLESS d. Joel Schumacher, 1999 (26 MAR 18:15 – Looks like it’s CANCELLED).
JOHN CARPENTER: A RESTORATION RETROSPECTIVE at Deptford Cinema (03 MAR to 02 APR):
- STARMAN d. John Carpenter, 1984 (26 MAR 20:00).
LOVE AND ANARCHY: THE FILMS OF LINA WERTMÜLLER at Barbican Centre (06 to 31 MAR 2019):
- LOVE AND ANARCHY d. Lina Wertmüller, 1973 + INTRO by Isabel Stevens (26 MAR 20:35).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival (21 to 31 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR).
- Soundscreen Music & Film Festival (22 to 27 MAR).
- Turquazz Festival (13 to 30 MAR).
MINDING THE GAP d. Bing Liu, 2018 at The Prince Charles (26 MAR 15:35):
- “Bing Liu’s Academy Award®-nominated documentary is a coming-of-age saga drawing on over 12 years of footage in his Rust Belt hometown hit hard by decades of recession. In his quest to understand why so many of his peers in the skateboarding community ran away from home when they were younger, Bing follows 23-year-old Zack as he becomes a father and 17-year-old Keire as he gets his first job.”
SCOTTY AND THE SECRET HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD d. Matt Tyrnauer, 2018 at DocHouse (26 MAR 14:20):
- “Scotty Bowers was a busy man in his youth. Working at a gas station in Hollywood that brought him in close proximity with the stars, Bowers found he could offer other services that were more profitable and risqué. With a group of young handsome studs, Bowers offered gay hook-ups for Hollywood stars who had to put on a straight front post-production code moral panic of the 1930s.”
US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (26 MAR 18:00 & 20:45):
- “Accompanied by her family, Adelaide Wilson returns to the beachfront home where she grew up as a child. Haunted by a traumatic experience from the past, Adelaide grows increasingly concerned that something bad is going to happen. Her worst fears soon become a reality when four masked strangers descend upon the house, forcing the Wilsons into a fight for survival.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 30 (SHORT) + BELOVED DAYS d. Constantinos Patsalides, 2018 + 2015 at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 MAR). BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 MAR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at The Prince Charles (22 to 28 MAR). DRIVER d. Yehonatan Indursky, 2017 at JW3 (24 to 28 MAR). EVERYBODY KNOWS aka Todos lo Saben d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 28 MAR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at ICA (until 27 MAR). THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER d. Sara Colangelo, 2018 at Watermans (22 to 28 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 28 MAR). RAY & LIZ d. Richard Billingham, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SORRY ANGEL aka Plaire, aimer et courir vite d. Christophe Honoré, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (22 MAR to 04 APR). UNDER THE SILVER LAKE d. David Robert Mitchell, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 28 MAR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (22 to 28 MAR). WIDOWS d. Steve McQueen, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (25 to 31 MAR).
Follow us | Get our free newsletter
Sign up for free Friday emails packed full of handpicked highlights.
RADIANT CIRCUS is patron powered, supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a site rebuild to make our listings fully searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Join us at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.