RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
ÁGA d. Milko Lazarov, 2018 + SCREENTALK with the director & producer Veselka Kiryakova at Barbican (27 FEB 18:30 – last few tickets left!):
- New East Cinema presents: “An Inuit couple try to hold on to their traditions in Siberia’s tundra as the modern world and global warming bring challenges to their lifestyle in Bulgarian director Milko Lazarov’s stunning film.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- DO YOU EXHIBIT? Find out how we can help promote your indie screen event in Greater London.
- NEWS: Barge Fiodra moors at Limehouse Basin for two watery days of film [01 to 02 MAR].
- NEWS: Phoenix Cinema Trust has launched a #PhoenixRising fundraiser – help save this much-loved venue.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Experimenta Mixtape #2 at BFI Southbank (27 FEB 20:20):
- William Fowler presents: The Experimenta Mixtape is a new experiment in artist film programming at the BFI. We juxtapose classic and contemporary artist works while drawing in, say, music videos and examples of early cinema as a way of illustrating the sparks and connections that exist across moving-image history. A key part of this event is that no titles are announced in advance – think of it as a chance encounter with the unknown.
WALL d. Cam Christiansen, 2017 + Q&A the director & writer David Hare at BFI Southbank (27 FEB 18:00):
- This compelling animated documentary follows writer David Hare as he visits the Middle East to assess the damage done to the region since the 708km wall dividing Israel and Palestine was built. During his journey, Hare confronts stark injustices and contradictions.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE d. Catherine Corsini, 2018 at JW3 (27 FEB 20:20).
- THE CAT RETURNS d. Hiroyuki Morita, 2002 at Genesis Cinema (27 FEB 18:30).
- COLETTE d. Wash Westmoreland, 2018 at The David Lean (27 FEB 19:30).
- THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at The David Lean (27 FEB 14:30).
- THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at ICA (27 FEB 15:25).
- FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY d. Stephen Merchant, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (27 FEB 15:40. 18:15 & 20:50).
- FREUD’S LOST LECTURE + READING by Deborah Levy + PANEL presented by CREAM at Regent Street Cinema (27 FEB 18:30).
- HANNAH d. Andrea Pallaoro, 2017 + INTRO by Charlotte Rampling at BFI (27 FEB 20:30).
- THE MIRACLE WORKER d. Arthur Penn, 1962 at Regent Street Cinema (27 FEB 12:00 & 15:30).
- THE OUTING d. Cian Llewellyn + LIVE PERFORMANCES in celebration of St David’s Day at Genesis Cinema (27 FEB 19:30 – Free!).
- TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (27 FEB 20:55).
- WAJIB d. Annemarie Jacir, 2018 + DISCUSSION presented by Screen25’s Odyssey Film Club at Harris Academy South Norwood (27 FEB 19:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (27 FEB 15:40 & 21:00).
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018 (27 FEB 15:45 FEB).
A TRIBUTE TO BRUNO GANZ at ICA (22 to 28 FEB):
- WINGS OF DESIRE d. Wim Wenders, 1987 (27 FEB 20:35).
BE THE COWBOY: THE CINEMA OF ULRICH KÖHLER at Deptford Cinema & Goethe-Institut (18 to 27 FEB):
- IN MY ROOM d. Ulrich Köhler, 2018 (27 FEB 19:00, Goethe-Institut).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER 35mm + INTRO by Geoff Andrew d. Ernst Lubitsch, 1940 (27 FEB 18:20).
CLOSE-UP ON LUIS BUÑUEL at Close-Up (01 to 27 FEB):
- THE OBSCURE OBJECT OF DESIRE d. Luis Buñuel, 1977 (27 FEB 20:15).
MARTIN SCORSESE SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 18 JUL):
- THE KING OF COMEDY d. Martin Scorsese, 1982 (27 FEB 18:15).
- AFTER HOURS 35mm d. Martin Scorsese, 1985 (27 FEB 20:45).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- THE PASSENGER d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975 (27 FEB 20:25).
OSCAR®️ WEEK at Barbican (21 to 28 FEB):
- COLD WAR d. Paweł Pawlikowski, 2018 (27 FEB 18:10).
- BLACK PANTHER d. Ryan Coogler, 2018 (27 FEB 20:25).
- CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 (27 FEB 20:35).
RICHARD LINKLATER’S THE BEFORE TRILOGY at The Prince Charles (25 to 28 FEB):
- BEFORE SUNSET 35mm d. Richard Linklater, 2004 (27 FEB 13:30).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- ALL I DESIRE d. Douglas Sirk, 1953 (27 FEB 18:30).
- THE LADY EVE d. Preston Sturgess, 1941 (27 FEB 18:30 & 20:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Cinema Made In Italy (26 FEB to 03 MAR).
HOME GAMES d. Alisa Kovalenko, 2018 at DocHouse (27 FEB 18:30):
- In Kiev, twenty year old Alina dreams of making the national women’s football team. She’s got a good shot – a standout since the age of seven, she’s now a premier league player. But there are more than a few obstacles standing in her way – not least the fact that her ex-con mother has left her in charge of her young brother and sister.
ON THE BASIS OF SEX d. Mimi Leder, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (27 FEB 15:25, 18:15 & 21:00):
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a struggling attorney and new mother who faces adversity and numerous obstacles in her fight for equal rights. When Ruth takes on a groundbreaking tax case with her husband, attorney Martin Ginsburg, she knows it could change the direction of her career and the way the courts view gender discrimination.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 28 FEB). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (22 to 28 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at ArtHouse (until 28 FEB). DESTROYER d. Karyn Kusama, 2018 at Watermans (22 to 28 FEB). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Rich Mix (until 28 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (until 28 FEB). IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 FEB). JELLYFISH d. James Gardner, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 FEB). LONDON UNPLUGGED d. various, 2019 at ICA (22 to 28 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 28 FEB). SWEET COUNTRY d. Warwick Thornton, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (25 FEB to 03 MAR). THE SILENCE OF OTHERS d. Almudena Carracedo & Robert Bahar, 2018 at DocHouse (until 27 FEB).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.