SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 27.03.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
DEAD POETS SOCIETY d. Peter Weir, 1989 + PANEL with Bryan Bonaparte at Regent Street Cinema (27 MAR 19:30):
- Psychology At The Movies presents: “Several students have their thoughts on the learning process (and on life itself) changed when a new teacher, John Keating, tears chapters from their textbooks and asks his students to stand on their desks to see the world from a new angle.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- Following a recent screening at ArtHouse Crouch End, we chatted with ABOUT A WAR (2018) co-directors Daniele Rugo & Abi Weaver about their film, its origins & its future in the UK & Lebanon.
- East End Film Festival starts their year of horror in the Masonic temple at Andaz Liverpool Street with HEREDITARY (28 MAR).
- LIVES UNWRITTEN season continues with Ousmane Sembène’s BLACK GIRL + TALK by Miranda Armstrong at The Geffrye Museum (06 APR). RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers get a 15% discount.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
REVIVIFICATION: ART, ACTIVISM AND POLITICS d. Juliet Jacques, 2018 + Q&A with Juliet Jacques & cinematographer & co-editor Oksana Kazmina at ICA (27 MAR 18:45):
- “Juliet Jacques’ recent film examines how contemporary Ukraine-based artists – inspired by radical ideals as well as queer and feminist theory – are looking back at the country’s socialist history and attempting to build a more utopian future.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLUE NOTE RECORDS: BEYOND THE NOTES d. Sophie Huer, 2018 at DocHouse (27 MAR 18:40).
- CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at The David Lean (27 MAR 19:30).
- GALAXY QUEST 35mm d. Dean Parisot, 1999 at The Prince Charles (27 MAR 18:15).
- GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (27 MAR 18:30).
- H IS FOR HARRY d. Ed Owles & Jaime Taylor, 2019 at DocHouse (27 MAR 14:30).
- MAIDEN d. Alex Holmes, 2018 at The Lexi (27 MAR 18:30).
- MCQUEEN d. Ian Bonhôte & Peter Ettedgui, 2018 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St. Barnabas Millennium Halls (27 MAR 20:15).
- PEACETIME d. Daniel Filho, 2009 at Embassy of Brazil, London (27 MAR 18:00 – FREE!).
- SERGEANT YORK 35mm d. Howard Hawks, 1941 at Regent Street Cinema (27 MAR 12:00 & 15:30).
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018 presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (27 MAR 19:45).
- SPIRITUAL DON d. Anthony Martinez at Moving Pictures (27 MAR 20:30).
- VENOM d. Ruben Fleischer, 2018 at Fest Camden Rooftop Cinema (27 MAR 19:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (27 MAR 20:15).
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (27 MAR 16:00).
CLOSE-UP ON ANDREI TARKOVSKY at Close-Up (02 to 31 MAR):
- MIRROR d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1974 (27 MAR 20:15 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival (21 to 31 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR).
- Soundscreen Music & Film Festival (22 to 27 MAR).
- Turquazz Festival (13 to 30 MAR).
- UK Asian Film Festival (27 MAR to 07 APR).
MINDING THE GAP d. Bing Liu, 2018 at The Prince Charles (27 MAR 13:15 & 18:00):
- “Bing Liu’s Academy Award®-nominated documentary is a coming-of-age saga drawing on over 12 years of footage in his Rust Belt hometown hit hard by decades of recession. In his quest to understand why so many of his peers in the skateboarding community ran away from home when they were younger, Bing follows 23-year-old Zack as he becomes a father and 17-year-old Keire as he gets his first job.”
SCOTTY AND THE SECRET HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD d. Matt Tyrnauer, 2018 at DocHouse (27 MAR 20:45):
- “Scotty Bowers was a busy man in his youth. Working at a gas station in Hollywood that brought him in close proximity with the stars, Bowers found he could offer other services that were more profitable and risqué. With a group of young handsome studs, Bowers offered gay hook-ups for Hollywood stars who had to put on a straight front post-production code moral panic of the 1930s.”
US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (27 MAR 18:00 & 20:45):
- “Accompanied by her family, Adelaide Wilson returns to the beachfront home where she grew up as a child. Haunted by a traumatic experience from the past, Adelaide grows increasingly concerned that something bad is going to happen. Her worst fears soon become a reality when four masked strangers descend upon the house, forcing the Wilsons into a fight for survival.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 30 (SHORT) + BELOVED DAYS d. Constantinos Patsalides, 2018 + 2015 at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 MAR). BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 MAR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at The Prince Charles (22 to 28 MAR). DRIVER d. Yehonatan Indursky, 2017 at JW3 (24 to 28 MAR). EVERYBODY KNOWS aka Todos lo Saben d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 28 MAR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at ICA (until 27 MAR). THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHERd. Sara Colangelo, 2018 at Watermans (22 to 28 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 28 MAR). RAY & LIZ d. Richard Billingham, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SORRY ANGEL aka Plaire, aimer et courir vite d. Christophe Honoré, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (22 MAR to 04 APR). UNDER THE SILVER LAKE d. David Robert Mitchell, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 28 MAR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (22 to 28 MAR). WIDOWS d. Steve McQueen, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (25 to 31 MAR).
Follow us | Get our free newsletter
Twitter @radiantcircus | Instagram @radiantcircus
Sign up for free Friday emails packed full of handpicked highlights.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is patron powered, supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a site rebuild to make our listings fully searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Join us at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.