RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Film-work as Dream-work + SCREENTALK with Daria Martin at Barbican (28 MAR 18:30):
- “Film images glide by. So too do dream phenomena, yet their fantastical machinations linger in our memories. Selected to coincide with Daria Martin’s exhibition at Barbican’s Curve Gallery, the programme features two of Martin’s previous ‘dream’ films and a number of others by women from different eras.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- East End Film Festival starts their year of horror in the Masonic temple at Andaz Liverpool Street with HEREDITARY (28 MAR).
- Following a recent screening at ArtHouse Crouch End, we chatted with ABOUT A WAR (2018) co-directors Daniele Rugo & Abi Weaver about their film, its origins & its future in the UK & Lebanon.
- LIVES UNWRITTEN season continues with Ousmane Sembène’s BLACK GIRL + TALK by Miranda Armstrong at The Geffrye Museum (06 APR). RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers get a 15% discount.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Cut Our Sexual Health Services Over Our Dead Bodies inc. HOPE ALONG THE WIND: THE LIFE OF HARRY HAY d. Eric Slade, 2002 + PANEL at The Cinema Museum (28 MAR 18:30):
- ACT UP: London presents: “‘Sexual health services are being “cut to the bone”, according to research which has triggered warnings that more sexually transmitted infections and unintended pregnancies will follow. join a growing coalition building to stop this for a film night, a panel of leading healthcare activists, a community discussion for how we can stop the cuts to sexual health services – drinks and DJs.”
DIAL M FOR MURDER 16mm d. Alfred Hitchcock,1954 + INTRO at The Castle Cinema (28 MAR 18:45 also 31 MAR 14:30):
- Ciné-Real16mm presents: “When American writer Mark Halliday (Robert Cummings) visits the very married Margot Wendice (Grace Kelly) in London, he unknowingly sets off a chain of blackmail and murder. After sensing Margot’s affections for Halliday, her husband, Tony Wendice (Ray Milland), fears divorce and disinheritance, and plots her death…”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 1000 Londoners – GOODBYE EUROPE + Q&A with filmmakers at Curzon Soho (28 MAR 18:30).
- AMERICAN ANIMALS d. Bart Layton, 2018 presented by Stow Film Lounge at Wild Card Brewery (28 MAR 19:15).
- ANGELA DAVIS – PORTRAIT OF A REVOLUTIONARY d. Yolande DuLuart, 1972 at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (28 MAR 19:00).
- A Talk by Yukiko Mishima (Director of DEAR ETRANGER, 2017) presented by Japan Foundation London at Soho Hotel (28 MAR 18:30 – FREE!/Booking required).
- A TRIP TO THE MOON d. Joaquín Cambre, 2018 at ICA (28 MAR 16:20).
- BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at The Lexi (28 MAR 18:20).
- BORDER d. Ali Abbasi, 2018 at Genesis Cinema (28 MAR 18:25).
- BRX-XXX (whatever it is we’re against it) + Q&A with Stanley Schtinter & Susu Laroche at The Whitechapel Gallery (28 MAR 19:00).
- CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at The David Lean (28 MAR 14:30 & 19:30).
- GIRLFRIENDS d. Claudia Weill, 1978 presented by Redmond Pictures at Redmond Community Centre (28 MAR 19:30 – FREE!/Booking required).
- KING BIBI d. Dan Shadur, 2018 presented by SERET at JW3 (28 MAR 20:00).
- LADY BIRD d. Greta Gerwig, 2017 presented by Sydenham Film Club at The Sydenham Centre (28 MAR 19:30).
- MAIDEN d. Alex Holmes, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (28 MAR 20:50).
- MISSION IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT d. Christopher McQuarrie, 2018 at Fest Camden Rooftop Cinema (28 MAR 19:00).
- Mystery Movie d. TBC at The Prince Charles (28 MAR 18:30).
- THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 at DocHouse (28 MAR 16:45).
- RABBIT PROOF FENCE d. Philip Noyce, 2002 presented by Highgate Film Society at Highgate Literary & Scientific Institution (28 MAR 20:00).
- THE ROOM d. Tommy Wiseau, 2003 without Tommy Wiseau at The Prince Charles (28 MAR 21:00).
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018 presented by Das Kino at The Old Baths (28 MAR 20:00).
- STAN & OLLIE d. Jon S. Baird, 2018 presented by Filmbox Community Cinema at Langley park Centre (28 MAR 20:00).
- TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 at DocHouse (28 MAR 20:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (28 MAR 12:50 & 18:10).
CLOSE-UP ON SERGEI PARAJANOV at Close-Up (08 to 30 MAR):
- THE COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES + HAKOB HOVNATANYAN d. Sergei Parajanov, 1969 + 1967 (28 MAR 17:30 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!).
GREETINGS FROM TROMAVILLE at Deptford Cinema (13 MAR to 19 APR):
- SGT. KABUKIMAN N.Y.P.D. (1996) (28 MAR 19:00).
KAIJU CHAOS at House Of Vans (08 to 31 MAR – Free! no booking required):
- SHIN GODZILLA (28 MAR 17:00 & 19:15).
TEMPLE CINEMA at Andaz Liverpool Street (all year):
- HEREDITARY d. Ari Aster, 2018 (28 MAR 19:30):
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Beyond Borders (28 to 30 MAR).
- BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival (21 to 31 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR).
- Turquazz Festival (13 to 30 MAR).
- UK Asian Film Festival (27 MAR to 07 APR).
MINDING THE GAP d. Bing Liu, 2018 at The Prince Charles (28 MAR 16:15):
- “Bing Liu’s Academy Award®-nominated documentary is a coming-of-age saga drawing on over 12 years of footage in his Rust Belt hometown hit hard by decades of recession. In his quest to understand why so many of his peers in the skateboarding community ran away from home when they were younger, Bing follows 23-year-old Zack as he becomes a father and 17-year-old Keire as he gets his first job.”
SCOTTY AND THE SECRET HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD d. Matt Tyrnauer, 2018 at DocHouse (28 MAR 14:30 – LAST CHANCE!):
- “Scotty Bowers was a busy man in his youth. Working at a gas station in Hollywood that brought him in close proximity with the stars, Bowers found he could offer other services that were more profitable and risqué. With a group of young handsome studs, Bowers offered gay hook-ups for Hollywood stars who had to put on a straight front post-production code moral panic of the 1930s.”
US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (28 MAR 18:00 & 20:45):
- “Accompanied by her family, Adelaide Wilson returns to the beachfront home where she grew up as a child. Haunted by a traumatic experience from the past, Adelaide grows increasingly concerned that something bad is going to happen. Her worst fears soon become a reality when four masked strangers descend upon the house, forcing the Wilsons into a fight for survival.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 30 (SHORT) + BELOVED DAYS d. Constantinos Patsalides, 2018 + 2015 at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 MAR). BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 MAR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at The Prince Charles (22 to 28 MAR). DRIVER d. Yehonatan Indursky, 2017 at JW3 (24 to 28 MAR). EVERYBODY KNOWS aka Todos lo Saben d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 28 MAR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at ICA (until 27 MAR). THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHERd. Sara Colangelo, 2018 at Watermans (22 to 28 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 28 MAR). RAY & LIZ d. Richard Billingham, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SORRY ANGEL aka Plaire, aimer et courir vite d. Christophe Honoré, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (22 MAR to 04 APR). UNDER THE SILVER LAKE d. David Robert Mitchell, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 28 MAR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (22 to 28 MAR). WIDOWS d. Steve McQueen, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (25 to 31 MAR).
Follow & sign up
Sign up for free Friday emails packed full of handpicked highlights.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.