RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Pitshanger Pictures presents METROPOLIS (1927) + LIVE ORGAN ACCOMPANIMENT by Henry Tozer at St Barnabas Church (31 OCT 20:00): “An eternally prescient and relevant film about the fetishisation of modern technology.” – Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian.
Looking for horror this Halloween? We’ve published a separate SCREAM GUIDE just for you.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
A WOMAN CAPTURED + SCREENTALK with director Bernadett Tuza-Ritter at Barbican (31 OCT 18:15):
- Sheffield Doc/Fest presents: A European woman who has been kept by a family as a domestic slave for 10 years decides to escape the unbearable oppression and become a free person in this outstanding documentary.
LORDS OF CHAOS + INTRO by Thurston Moore at Rio Cinema (31 OCT 15:30):
- Musician Thurston Moore & fashion designer Dr Pam Hogg invite you to a special Halloween showing of Jonas Åkerlund‘s new film LORDS OF CHAOS. Thurston will introduce the event, discuss the origins of Norwegian Black Metal, talk about the music of the band Mayhem.
METROPOLIS (1927) + LIVE ORGAN ACCOMPANIMENT by Henry Tozer at St Barnabas Church (31 OCT 20:00):
- Pitshanger Pictures presents: A chance to see one of the greatest classic silent movies ever made. Inspiration for generations of sci fi and horror films as well as it simply being a fantastic spectacle. Pitshanger will be showing it in the church with live organ accompaniment in a marathon performance by Henry Tozer.
WOULD YOU LOOK AT HER at Barbican (31 OCT 18:30):
- New East Cinema presents: Coming directly from this year’s festival circuit, this selection of shorts tracks the ways in which women’s lives are affected by Eastern state ideologies. Filmmakers delve into the worlds of women who refuse to be framed by prejudice, from arranged marriages to patriarchal traditions, and the oppression of female desire.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A QUIET PLACE + SHORT: MANNEQUINS presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (31 OCT 19:45).
- BLACK MOTHER + Q&A with director Khalik Allah at Stratford Picturehouse (31 OCT 20:30).
- BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE at Regent Street Cinema (31 OCT 12:00 & 15:30).
- CALIBRE + Q&A with producers Al Clarke & Anna Griffin and actors Kate Bracken & Ian Pirie at Curzon HMV (31 OCT 18:20).
- CARRIE (1976) at Deptford Cinema (31 OCT 21:00).
- CLIMAX at Deptford Cinema (31 OCT 16:00).
- THE CRAFT presented by Forever Young Film Club at The Albany (31 OCT 20:00).
- THE EVIL DEAD (1981) at BFI (31 OCT 21:00 – joint ticket available with SHAUN OF THE DEAD).
- THE EVIL DEAD (1981) at Everyman Canary Wharf (31 OCT 21:00).
- THE FOG (1980) at ArtHouse Crouch End (31 OCT 20:45).
- THE FOG (1980) at Rich Mix (31 OCT 21:00).
- HALLOWEEN (1978) + SALON by Nick Walker at Genesis Cinema (31 OCT 18:50).
- THE HILLS HAVE EYES (1977) 16mm + THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (1974) Super8mm at The Castle Cinema (31 OCT 19:00 + 21:00).
- LOLA MONTÈS + INTRO by Isabel Stevens at BFI Southbank (31 OCT 18:10).
- THE LOVE WITCH + FREE DRINKS presented by Zodiac Film Club at Beyond Retro (31 OCT 19:00).
- NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: 50th Anniversary Restoration at Peckhamplex (31 OCT 20:30).
- THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – RESCORED LIVE by Grok at Genesis Cinema (31 OCT 21:00 – Free!).
- POSSUM at The David Lean (31 OCT 19:30).
- THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW at The Gate (31 OCT 20:45 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- SCREAM + SCREAM 2 presented by Nomad Cinema at The Hoxton (31 OCT 18:45 + 21:00).
- SCREAM at Everyman Baker Street (31 OCT 21:00 – Other Everymans available!).
- SHAUN OF THE DEAD + Q&A with writer/director Edgar Wright at BFI (31 OCT 18:15 – joint ticket available with THE EVIL DEAD – Sold Out!).
- SUSPIRIA (2018) at Picturehouse Central (31 OCT 18:10 Other Picturehouses available! – Sold Out!).
- SUSPIRIA (1977) at Picturehouse Central (31 OCT 21:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- VAMPIR CUADECUC at Close-Up (31 OCT 20:15).
- VIDEODROME at Deptford Cinema (31 OCT 19:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- HIS GIRL FRIDAY (31 OCT 20:40).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
- MANDY (31 OCT 15:45 & 22:50).
- HALLOWEEN (1978) (31 OCT 18:30 – Sold Out!)
- THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE 35mm (31 OCT 18:45 – Sold Out!).
- THE EVIL DEAD (31 OCT 20:45 – Sold Out!).
JEAN COCTEAU RETROSPECTIVE at Ciné Lumière (23 OCT to 18 NOV):
- ORPHÉE (31 OCT 18:30).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- ORPHÉE (31 OCT 14:30, 18:20 & 20:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
POSSUM at ArtHouse Crouch End (31 OCT 14:15 & 18:30):
- Together with Possum, a hideous hand-puppet, disgraced puppeteer Philip returns to his childhood home. Staying with his cruel stepfather, Maurice, Philip soon discovers that ridding himself of Possum is no easy task. A truly creepy British horror from the visionary mind behind GARTH MERENGHI’S DARKPLACE.
UTØYA – JULY 22 at ArtHouse Crouch End (31 OCT 12:05 & 16:20):
- Seven years ago on 22 July, more than 500 teenagers at a left-wing political summer camp on a small island outside Oslo, Norway, were targeted by armed right-wing extremist Anders Breivik; an attack that ultimately left 69 people, most of them children, dead.
WORLDS OF URSULA K. LE GUIN at DocHouse (31 OCT 16:30):
- This inspiring documentary looks at the power of science fiction as an art form through one of its foremothers, exploring Le Guin’s life through the prism of the magical worlds she created.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 1945 at JW3 (28 OCT to 01 NOV). BAD REPUTATION at Picturehouse Central (26 OCT to 01 NOV). THE DEMINER at The Montpellier (28 OCT to 07 NOV). DOGMAN at Ciné Lumière (26 OCT to 06 NOV). DON’T WORRY, HE WON’T GET FAR ON FOOT at Peckhamplex (26 OCT to 01 NOV). THE GUARDIANS at Whirled Cinema (29 OCT to 04 NOV). MANDY at The Castle (26 to 29 OCT). SHIRKERS at ICA (26 OCT to 01 NOV). ORPHÉE at BFI (until 01 NOV). THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD at Phoenix Cinema (26 Oct to 01 NOV).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.