Our RADIANT CIRCUS guide to what’s on in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema, including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & new releases.
It’s great to be back. Have you been out there yet? What did you see? My last cinema trip of 2021 on NYE was to see TITANE (again…), and my first trip of 2022 on NYD was to see SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME. Sometimes you just need your cinema-going to be loud and, well, full of contrast…
A little earlier this week I posted my first epic rep roundup of the year. You can read that post for a full account of the month/year’s new season, but I particularly like the look of the 1982 and BLACK & WHITE seasons at The Prince Charles, JONAS MEKAS 100! and TAKE TWO: JÖRN DONNER at Close-Up Film Centre, and PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON 35MM LATE NIGHTS at Everyman Screen On The Green. My Featured Attraction Of The Month goes to BOWIE: STARMAN & THE SILVER SCREEN at BFI Southbank for strictly personal reasons.
In venue news, Riverside Studios has undertaken some internal refurbishing of their Studio 3, transforming it into “a cabaret-style cinema & bar” for the month. They’ll be using this space for a season of CONCERT FILMS I missed when putting my roundup together (sorry guys!). Seating is unallocated, and tables will be socially distanced. The venue is also discounting all their cinema tickets for January to £6.50. Elsewhere, the Brigadoon of new venue openings, The Garden Cinema, is now posting an official opening date of March 2022. Can’t wait.
Tuesday is a busy night for film clubs, with Sands Films showing Chaplin’s LIMELIGHT in-venue and online, Tufnell Park Film Club showing BLUE VELVET in tribute to Dean Stockwell, Deptford Film Club screening a programme of artists’ films, and Foreign Film Club showing DOGTOOTH (all 11 JAN). Many others seem to be getting ready for the year ahead. Wimbledon Film Club will start their 2022 with a members’ choice screening of Lee Isaac Chung’s MINARI at Curzon Wimbledon (18 JAN), and Talkies Community Cinema will celebrate their 200th event with a special screening of John Landis’ THE BLUES BROTHERS, complete with live musical intro from St Harmonica’s Blues Club at St John’s Hall (29 JAN). And just in case anyone thinks we’ve been ignoring them (far from it!) Richmond Film Society will resume their (currently) members only screenings with Nora Twomey’s THE BREADWINNER at The Exchange (18 JAN). Let’s hope the evolving COVID situation allows them to throw their doors wide open in due course.
COVID wasn’t the only cause of disruption to our screens last year… The opening night of Ryan Ninesling’s student season HUMAN RESOURCES – Margot Benacerraf’s ARAYA at Close-Up – was postponed in December 2021 due a power cut on Brick Lane. The screening now takes place on 13 JAN and is re-booking now. Also postponed from last year, the final part of The Care-fuffle Collective’s Repeated Apparitions programme,Six Shorts + Mengqi He, will now take place online (09 JAN0. A little further ahead in our schedules, World Wide Weird! will try for a second time to stage their next All-Dayer on 29 JAN, the programme living up to the film club’s name with North Korean kaiju flick PULGASARI (1985), Wei Tung’s MAGIC COP (1990), and Norman J Warren’s PREY (1977) plus a Mystery Film, VJ set and expert intros. Entry is £5 for a raffle ticket, all proceeds go to Macmillan Cancer Support.
Because of the peculiarities of festive release schedules, a lot of venues are only just starting to screen LICORICE PIZZA and THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH. You’ll already know if these titles are playing near you… New releases this week include Jamila Wignot’s documentary AILEY, Philip Barantini’s ‘single-take’ thriller, BOILING POINT, Asghar Farhadi’s A HERO, and Eric Steel’s LGBTQ+ drama, MINYAN. Check our GRIND SHOWS section for full details.
I’ve chosen the 4K restoration and re-release of THE 400 BLOWS as my Featured Attraction of The Week, because it’s both an incredible slice of cinema and an open doorway to the immense treasures on screen as part of Ciné Lumière and BFI’s celebration of the films – and inspirations – of François Truffaut. January’s offerings at BFI are split between films about Truffaut’s semi-semi-autobiographical character Antoine Doinel and “those displaying the influence of Truffaut’s beloved Renoir”. February’s programme will look at the influences of another of his heroes, Alfred Hitchcock. The BFI has also aligned their perennial BIG SCREEN CLASSICS strand to look at the important films in Truffaut’s life. There are plenty of talks and intros on both the Southbank and in South Ken to get you in the mood.
See you in the darkness,
Richard // RADIANT CIRCUS
THE 400 BLOWS aka Les Quatre cents coups d. François Truffaut, 1959 at various venues inc: BFI / Ciné Lumière / ICA / JW3 / Picturehouse Cinemas.
“François Truffaut’s first feature and a cinematic recreation of his own childhood is one of the defining films of the French New Wave. Misunderstood and neglected, 13-year-old outcast Antoine Doinel (Jean-Pierre Léaud) seeks to rebel against the oppressive social norms of school and home. Turning to petty crime, Antoine skips school to traverse the streets of Paris.”
FRIDAY 07 JAN
- MEMORIA d. Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2021 + Q&A with Tilda Swinton at ICA (07 JAN 18:15 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!).
SATURDAY 08 JAN
- CRASH d. David Cronenberg, 1996 at Ciné Lumière (08 JAN 20:30).
- GORBACHEV. HEAVEN d. Vitaly Mansky, 2020 at ICA (08 JAN 15:45).
- VERTIGO d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1958 at The Prince Charles (08 JAN 17:20).
SUNDAY 09 JAN
- COW d. Andrea Arnold, 2021 preview at ICA (09 JAN 16:00).
- CRASH d. David Cronenberg, 1996 at Ciné Lumière (09 JAN 20:00).
- GORBACHEV. HEAVEN d. Vitaly Mansky, 2020 at ICA (09 JAN 14:45).
- PARASITE d. Bong Joon Ho, 2019 at The Prince Charles (09 JAN 18:05).
- THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER d. Ernst Lubitz, 1940 at Regent Street Cinema (09 JAN 13:30).
- Repeated Apparitions: Six Shorts + Mengqi He presented online by The Care-fuffle Collective (09 JAN 19:00).
MONDAY 10 JAN
- AILEY d. Jamila Wignot, 2021 + Recorded Q&A at Picturehouse Bromley (10 JAN 19:45).
- No Ticket Required: Online discussion of PINOCCHIO d. Matteo Garrone, 2019 with Michael Brooke at Watermans – Watch film online in advance (10 JAN 20:00 – FREE!).
TUESDAY 11 JAN
- AILEY d. Jamila Wignot, 2021 at Genesis Cinema (11 JAN 18:40).
- BLUE VELVET d. David Lynch, 1986 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club in tribute to Dean Stockwell at The Lord Palmerston (11 JAN 20:00).
- Deptford Film Club 2 presented by Empathy & Risk and Looking Forward at Empathy & Risk SE8 (11 JAN 18:00 – FREE!).
- DOGTOOTH d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2009 presented by Foreign Film Club at Morocco Bound Bookshop SE1 (11 JAN 19:00 – FREE!).
- LIMELIGHT d. Charles Chaplin, 1952 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Film Studios (11 JAN 20:00 – FREE!/Donation requested).
WEDNESDAY 12 JAN
- BLISS x Fringe! d. Henrika Kull, 2021 at Genesis Cinema (12 JAN 18:30).
- THE FALL d. Tarsem Singh, 2006 at The Prince Charles (12 JAN 20:50).
- WEST SIDE STORY d. Steven Spielberg, 2021 at The David Lean Cinema (12 JAN 19:00).
THURSDAY 13 JAN
- Projecting The Archive: HOFFMAN 35mm d. Alvin Rakoff, 1969 + Intro by the director at BFI Southbank (13 JAN 18:15).
- WEST SIDE STORY d. Steven Spielberg, 2021 at The David Lean Cinema (13 JAN 14:30 HOH & 19:30).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE QUICK AND THE DEAD 35mm d. Sam Raimi, 1995 (07 JAN 18:00); PULP FICTION 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino (07 JAN 20:30); MULHOLLAND DR. 35mm d. David Lynch, 2001 (08 JAN 20:15); CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND [Director’s Cut] 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1977 (09 JAN 15:05); FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH 35mm d. Amy Heckerling, 1982 (10 JAN 18:20).
1982 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE THING d. John Carpenter, 1982 (09 JAN 21:00); FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH 35mm d. Amy Heckerling, 1982 (10 JAN 18:20).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): WITHNAIL & I d. Bruce Robinson, 1987 (08 JAN 15:00); CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND [Director’s Cut] 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1977 (09 JAN 15:05); THE THING d. John Carpenter, 1982 (09 JAN 21:00); FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH 35mm d. Amy Heckerling, 1982 (10 JAN 18:20); CALIFORNIA MAN d. Les Mayfield, 1992 (11 JAN 18:05).
BEST OF 2021 at Bertha DocHouse
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE ALPINIST d. Peter Mortimer & Nick Rosen, 2021 (09 JAN 13:40 / 10 JAN 18:20 / 12 JAN 14:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THE FILMS IN TRUFFAUT’S LIFE at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): CASQUE D’OR d. Jacques Becker, 1953 (07 JAN 20:45); GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES d. Howard Hawks, 1953 (08 JAN 16:00 / 13 JAN 18:10); ORDET aka The Word d. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1955 (09 JAN 13:20); SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT aka Sommarnattens Leende (09 JAN 16:00); BIGGER THAN LIFE d. Nicholas Ray, 1956 (10 JAN 14:30); CITIZEN KANE 35mm d. Orson Welles, 1941 (11 JAN 17:50); LA GRANDE ILLUSION aka Jean Renoir, 1937 (11 JAN 18:15); CASQUE D’OR d. Jacques Becker, 1953 + Recorded intro by film critic & historian Pamela Hutchinson (12 JAN 17:50).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH d. Joel Coen, 2021 (until 13 JAN).
BOWIE: STARMAN & THE SILVER SCREEN at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BUG Special: David Bowie (07 JAN 20:50); LABYRINTH 4K d. Jim Henson, 1986 (08 JAN 12:00 / 09 JAN 13:00); MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. LAWRENCE 4K d. Nagisa Oshima, 1983 (08 JAN 18:20); THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH 4K d. Nicolas Roeg, 1976 (08 JAN 20:10); CRACKED ACTOR d. Alan Yentob, 1975 + Shorts (09 JAN 16:10); ZIGGY STARDUST & THE SPIDERS FROM MARS d. DA Pennebaker, 1979 (09 JAN 18:10); THE HUNGER d. Tony Scott, 1983 (10 JAN 18:10); THE PRESTIGE 35mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2006 (11 JAN 20:30).
- Hooked to the Silver Screen: Bowie at the Movies: TAXI DRIVER d. Martin Scorsese, 1976 (07 JAN 18:00); A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 (12 JAN 20:25).
BRENDAN FRASER at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): CALIFORNIA MAN d. Les Mayfield, 1992 (11 JAN 18:05).
CHER ON SCREEN at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): SILKWOOD d. Mike Nichols, 1983 (12 JAN 18:00).
DENIS VILLENEUVE: IN REVERSE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021 (08 JAN 20:30 / 09 JAN 20:00 / 11 JAN 15:00 & 20:15).
EXPERIMENTS IN FILM at Barbican
- Includes (check venue for full listings): The Cinema of Edward Owens (13 JAN 18:15).
THE FILMS OF QUENTIN TARANTINO at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PULP FICTION 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino (07 JAN 20:30).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings):
- The Renoir Truffaut: DAY FOR NIGHT aka La Nuit américaine d. François Truffaut, 1973 (07 JAN 18:10); THE LAST METRO aka Le Dernier métro d. François Truffaut, 1980 (08 JAN 17:10); POCKET MONEY aka L’ Argent de poche d. François Truffaut, 1976 (08 JAN 20:55); THE MAN WHO LOVED WOMEN aka L’ Homme qui aimait les femmes d. François Truffaut, 1977 (09 JAN 18:20); L’ENFANT SAUVAGE aka The Wild Child d. François Truffaut, 1970 (10 JAN 20:40).
- The Antoine Doinel cycle: THE 400 BLOWS 4K aka Les Quatre cents coups d. François Truffaut, 1959 (daily from 07 to 20 JAN various); STOLEN KISSES 4K + ANTOINE ET COLETTE 4K + d. François Truffaut, 1962 + 1968 (11 JAN 20:35); BED AND BOARD 4K aka Domicile Conjugal d. François Truffaut, 1970 (13 JAN 20:45).
- Talks and events: For the Love of People… The Films of François Truffaut (10 JAN 18:20).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT REVISITED at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE 400 BLOWS aka Les Quatre cents coups d. François Truffaut, 1959 (daily 07 to 13 JAN various); ANTOINE ET COLETTE + STOLEN KISSES d. François Truffaut, 1962 + 1968 (09 JAN 14:00 / 11 JAN 20:20).
FROM THE MIND OF PAUL SCHRADER at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE YAKUZA d. Sydney Pollack, 1974 (10 JAN 20:35).
HUMAN RESOURCES at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for listings): ARAYA d. Margot Benacerraf, 1959 (13 JAN 20:15 – rearranged from 03 DEC 2021).
- Curated by Ryan Ninesling. Presented in partnership with the National Film & Television School.
JONAS MEKAS 100! at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE BRIG / AWARD PRESENTATION TO ANDY WARHOL d. Jonas Mekas, 1964 (08 JAN 18:45 & 20:15); WALDEN d. Jonas Mekas, 1969 (09 JAN 16:00 & 19:15).
JULIA DUCOURNAU at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): TITANE d. Julia Ducournau, 2021 (until 13 JAN); RAW d. Julia Ducournau, 2016 (13 JAN 18:00).
NORA EPHRON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): SILKWOOD d. Mike Nichols, 1983 (12 JAN 18:00).
PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON 35MM LATE NIGHTS at Everyman Screen On The Green
- Includes (check venue for listings): BOOGIE NIGHTS 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997 (08 JAN 22:30).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2004 (13 JAN 13:00).
TAKE TWO: JÖRN DONNER at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for listings): BLACK ON WHITE 35mm d. Jörn Donner, 1968 (07 JAN 20:15).
TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE RED TENT aka Krasnaya palatka d. Mikhail Kalatozov, 1969 + intro by BFI curator Simon McCallum (11 JAN 18:00); YES & NO Salon: Exploration Now panel discussion (12 JAN 18:30); THE CONQUEST OF EVEREST d. Thomas Stobart, 1953 + Intro by explorer Mark Wood (12 JAN 20:40).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): HAPPY TOGETHER d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 (07 to 13 JAN); CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (07 JAN 21:00).
- London International Mime Festival (25 JAN to 05 FEB).
- London Short Film Festival (14 to 23 JAN).
- Night Of Ideas (27 JAN).
- Syrian Arts & Cultural Festival (20 JAN to 04 FEB).
- Also (07 to 13 JAN, various dates/times): A HERO aka Ghahreman d. Asghar Farhadi, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Peckhamplex / Rio Cinema // MINYAN d. Eric Steel, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / JW3 // MUNICH: THE EDGE OF WAR d. Christian Schwochow, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Cinema // OTHER, LIKE ME d. Marcus Werner Hed & Dan Fox, 2020 at: ICA.
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.