SUNDAY 02 APRIL 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
BURNING DAYS d. Emin Alper, 2022 presented by MUBI & Balık Arts raising funds for Choose Love at Rio Cinema (02 APR 15:45).
“MUBI and The Match Factory have collaborated with the film and art charity Balık Arts to host an urgent earthquake relief fundraiser screening of the crime thriller Burning Days, with 100% of the ticket sales going to Choose Love, a UK-based collective fund that provides humanitarian aid to refugees around the world.”
The event will be introduced by representatives from Choose Love and Balık Arts and will feature a special raffle for attendees.
- BURNING DAYS d. Emin Alper, 2022 presented by MUBI & Balık Arts raising funds for Choose Love at Rio Cinema (02 APR 15:45).
- CHINESE TAKE-AWAY aka Un cuento chino d. Sebastián Borensztein, 2011 at Babel Art House (02 APR 19:30).
- DANCE CRAZE d. Joe Massot, 1981 at ActOne Cinema (02 APR 14:45).
- EL SECRETO DE SUS OJOS d. Juan José Campanella, 2009 presented by Spanish Marks at India Club Lounge-Bar (03 APR 19:00).
- THE GALLERY (1981): INTERACTIVE FILM d. Paul Raschid, 2022 at Genesis Cinema (02 APR 15:30).
- THE LIVES OF OTHERS d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006 at Olympic Studios (02 APR 13:20).
- The London Horror Society Indie Film Showcase 2023 at Hen & Chickens Theatre (02 APR 17:45).
- RAN d. Akira Kurosawa, 1985 at ActOne Cinema (02 APR 14:00).
- THE SCARY OF SIXTY-FIRST d. Dasha Nekrasova, 2021 presented by Deeper Into Movies at MOTH Club (02 APR 19:30).
- THE WOMAN KING d. Gina Prince-Bythewood, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (02 APR 17:00).
- WORKING GIRLS d. Lizzie Borden, 1986 + Q&A with Lizzie Borden at ICA (02 APR 16:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- JURASSIC PARK 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1993 (02 APR 12:00).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (02 APR 20:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- Preview: GODLAND d. Hlynur Pálmason, 2023 + Recorded Q&A with the director (02 APR 11:30).
- DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOUR AMONGST THIEVES d. John Francis Daley & Jonathan Goldstein, 2023 (31 MAR to 13 APR).
A24 at Picturehouse Cinemas
- MOONLIGHT d. Barry Jenkins, 2016 (02 APR various).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 (02 APR 12:25).
- YOUR NAME d. Makoto Shinkai, 2016 (02 APR 17:35 SUB).
ANNIVERSARY SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- L’ARGENT d. Robert Bresson, 1983 (02 APR 12:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- NASHVILLE d. Robert Altman, 1975 (02 APR 17:50).
CELLULOID SUNDAY at ICA
- MÄDCHEN IN UNIFORM 16mm d. Leontine Sagan, 1931 (02 APR 19:00).
CHISWICK PICKS at Chiswick Cinema
- THE AGE OF INNOCENCE: 30TH ANNIVERSARY 4K Restoration d. Martin Scorsese, 1993 (02 APR 15:00).
- SAFETY LAST: 100TH ANNIVERSARY d. Fred C. Newemeyer, 1923 (02 APR 18:05).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI: 25TH ANNIVERSARY d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1998 (31 MAR to 06 APR – Some 4K).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
- THE MARRIAGE OF MARIA BRAUN d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1978 (02 APR 17:45).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- STAGE DOOR d. Gregory La Cava, 1936 + Intro by Sandi Toksvig (02 APR 15:30).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- #34 – L’ATALANTE d. Jean Vigo, 1934 (02 APR 14:00).
KIEŚLOWSKI’S THREE COLOURS at Close-Up
- THREE COLOURS: BLUE d. Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1993 (02 APR 20:15).
MARILYN MONROE at The Prince Charles
- HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE d. Jean Negulesco, 1953 (02 APR 15:15).
OUTSIDERS AND EXILES: THE FILMS OF JERZY SKOLIMOWSKI at BFI Southbank
- DIALOGUE 20-40-60 aka Dialóg 20-40-60 d. Jerzy Skolimowski, Peter Solan, Zbyneˇk Brynych, 1968 (02 APR 12:30).
- DEEP END d. Jerzy Skolimowski, 1970 (02 APR 15:40).
- LE DÉPART 35mm d. Jerzy Skolimowski, 1967 (02 APR 18:30).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- MEAN GIRLS d. Mark Waters, 2004 (02 APR various).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (02 APR 15:00 – 4K).
- FALLEN ANGELS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 (02 APR 17:30 – 4K).
- Clermont-Ferrand in London (04 to 08 APR).
- Essay Film Festival (25 to 31 MAR).
- We Are Parable: Experience Over Everything (31 MAR to 02 APR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (18 to 31 MAR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- The Malarkey Film Festival: Creepuscula (05 APR).
Also 31 MAR to 06 APR (various dates/times):
- Preview: AIR d. Ben Affleck, 2023 at (from 05 APR): Catford Mews / The Cinema In The Arches / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix /
- EFTIHIA d. Angelos Frantzis, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End.
- THE PAWNSHOP d. Lukasz Kowalski, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- RIOTSVILLE, USA d. Sierra Pettengill, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas + Q&A.
- TETRIS d. Jon S. Baird, 2023 at: Everyman Cinemas.
- THREE COLOURS: BLUE – 4K Restoration d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993 at (limited engagements): ArtHouse Crouch End / Ciné Lumière / Close-Up Film Centre / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.