SUNDAY 06 FEBRUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE HUNTER’S DIARY 35mm d. Ko Nakahira, 1964 (06 FEB 18:10) / Part of WHAT LIES BENEATH: THE INTRICATE REPRESENTATIONS OF A ‘DARK MIND’ IN JAPANESE CINEMA at ICA:
“Misogynist and philanderer Ichiro Honda (Noboru Nakaya) has an insatiable sexual appetite which is not being satisfied by his distant wife whom he only really sees on weekends. While he is away from Osaka for work, his time is spent living a double life in Tokyo, filling his nights with consecutive sexual conquests, the details of which he meticulously records in his ‘hunter’s diary’. One day, he reads about the murder of a woman in the paper; she is one of his previous ‘preys’. A few days later, another such woman dies in mysterious circumstances. Suddenly, a string of women he has bedded start dropping like flies in a calculated killing spree, with Ichiro as the only suspect.
Adapting a novel written by Masako Togawa, who portrays the role of the deceived wife, silver screen master Ko Nakahira (Plants from the Dune) directs this stylish suspense drama which we are happy to present in glorious 35mm format.” (Japan Foundation)
- BRIAN WILSON: LONG PROMISED ROAD d. Brent Wilson, 2021 at Olympic Studios (06 FEB 15:10 / 09 FEB 19:10).
- GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER d. Stanley Kramer, 1967 in tribute to Sidney Poitier at The Lexi Cinema (06 FEB 19:45).
- THE HILL PARK MYSTERY aka Nedbrudte Nerver d. AW Sandberg, 1923 + Live musical accompaniment by Stephen Horne at BFI Southbank (06 FEB 15:30).
- NIGHTMARE ALLEY: VISIONS OF DARKNESS AND LIGHT d. Guillermo del Toro, 2021 at Chiswick Cinema (06 FEB 16:30 / 08 FEB 19:10 / 10 FEB 19:15).
- SHOOT THE PIANIST aka Tirez sur le pianiste d. François Truffaut, 1960 at Riverside Studios (06 FEB 12:30 / 09 FEB 12:30).
- THE SOUVENIR PART II d. Joanna Hogg, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Everyman Belsize Park (06 FEB 14:00).
- THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (06 FEB 17:00).
4K PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY – EXTENDED EDITIONS 4K d. Peter Jackson, 2001 + 2002 + 2003 (06 FEB 10:00).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm & 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 28 FEB various); LAST NIGHT IN SOHO 35mm d. Edgar Wright, 2021 (from 06 to 17 FEB various).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (04 to 17 FEB various).
- See also STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER.
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: LGBT HISTORY MONTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MAURICE d. James Ivory, 1987 (06 FEB 15:20).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LEVIATHAN d. Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2014 (06 FEB 17:30); TOKYO STORY d. Yasujirō Ozu, 1953 (06 FEB 20:15).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): The Hitchcock Truffaut: MISSISSIPPI MERMAID aka La Sirène du Mississippi d. François Truffaut, 1969 (06 FEB 12:40); LA PEAU DOUCE aka Silken Skin d. François Truffaut, 1964 (06 FEB 18:20); Re-release: JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (04 to 17 FEB various).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT REVISITED at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (04 to 11 FEB various); THE WOMAN NEXT DOOR aka La Femme d’à côté d. François Truffaut, 1981 (06 FEB 14:00).
- Includes (check venue for full listings): RADIANCE d. Rachel Perkins, 1998 (06 FEB 17:30).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY – EXTENDED EDITIONS 4K d. Peter Jackson, 2001 + 2002 + 2003 (06 FEB 10:00).
SEEN & HEARD at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): IT FELT LIKE LOVE d. Eliza Hittman, 2013 (06 FEB 18:00).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1986 (from 05 FEB); THE CAT RETURNS d. Hiroyuki Morita, 2002 (from 05 FEB).
- Includes (check venue for listings): LIAR X LIAR d. Saiji Yakumo, 2021 (06 FEB 13:15); WILL I BE SINGLE FOREVER d. Momoko Fukuda, 2021 (06 FEB 15:50); THE HUNTER’S DIARY 35mm d. Ko Nakahira, 1964 (06 FEB 18:10); SHRIEKING IN THE RAIN d. Eiji Uchida, 2021 (06 FEB 20:45).
- London International Mime Festival (25 JAN to 05 FEB).
- Syrian Arts & Cultural Festival (20 JAN to 04 FEB).
- Also 04 to 10 FEB (various dates/times): JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 at: BFI / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // KISS ME KOSHER d. Shirel Peleg, 2020 at: JW3 (from 10 FEB) // LINGUI, THE SACRED BONDS d. Mahamat-Saleh Haroun, 2021 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / ICA // NIGHTMARE ALLEY: VISIONS OF DARKNESS AND LIGHT d. Guillermo del Toro, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // THE ROSSELINIS d. Alessandro Rossellini, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- BIG BOYS DON’T CRY + Q&A raising funds for NAPAC at Everyman Borough Yards (03 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.