SUNDAY 07 MAY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
ANDREI TARKOVSKY: A CINEMA PRAYER d. Andrey A. Tarkovsky, 2019 at Bertha DocHouse (07 MAY 16:00).
“The life, art, and inner world of Russian master Andrei Tarkovsky is explored through the filmmaker’s own words and images in this quietly reverent tribute to a cinematic titan.”
“Lovingly made by the director’s son, A CINEMA PRAYER draws from a wealth of archival materials – rare audio recordings, photographs, film excerpts, and behind-the-scenes footage from the making of masterpieces such as ANDREI RUBLEV and STALKER – to reveal the filmmaker’s profoundly personal thoughts on topics like existence, death, religion, and cinema.” (Bertha DocHouse)
- ANDREI TARKOVSKY: A CINEMA PRAYER d. Andrey A. Tarkovsky, 2019 at Bertha DocHouse (07 MAY 16:00).
- EMPIRE OF LIGHT d. Sam Mendes, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (07 MAY 17:00).
- FAUST d. F.W. Murnau, 1926 + Live score by GROK in Bar Paragon at Genesis Cinema (07 MAY 18:00).
- TOP HAT d. Mark Sandrich, 1935 at Riverside Studios (07 MAY 14:00 / 08 MAY 14:45).
- UP ON THE ROOF d. Ben Hecking, 2022 + Q&A with Nathaniel Parker and the filmmakers at Phoenix Cinema (07 MAY 17:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- PAPER MOON 35mm d. Peter Bogdanovich, 1973 (07 MAY 15:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3D d. James Gunn, 2023 (until 11 MAY).
3+3: ÉRIC BAUDELAIRE at ICA & Ciné Lumière
- HUMAIN, TROP HUMAIN d. Louis Malle, 1973 (07 MAY 14:00).
- A FLOWER IN THE MOUTH aka Une Fleur dans la bouche d. Éric Baudelaire, 2022 + Q&A with the director (07 MAY 20:00).
10 YEARS OF A24 at Picturehouse Cinemas
- THE LAST BLACK MAN IN SAN FRANCISCO d. Joe Talbot, 2019 (from 07 MAY various).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- JUNK HEAD d. Takahide Hori, 2021 (07 MAY 12:45).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- BRITISH SOUNDS (See You at Mao) d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1969 (07 MAY 18:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- GREED 35mm d. Erich Von Stroheim, 1925 + Live piano accompaniment by Costas Fotopoulos & John Sweeney (07 MAY 12:50).
CELEBRATING QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- THE BLUE CAFTAN d. Maryam Touzani, 2022 (05 to 11 MAY).
CHINESE CINEMA PROJECT at The Garden Cinema
- SO LONG, MY SON d. Wang Xiaoshuai, 2019 + Q&A with the director (07 MAY 12:00).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- THE PRINCESS BRIDE d. Rob Reiner, 1987 (07 MAY 13:00).
CINEMATIC SORCERESS: THE FILMS OF NINA MENKES at BFI Southbank
- THE GREAT SADNESS OF ZOHARA d. Nina Menkes, 1983 (07 MAY 16:10).
DARIO ARGENTO: DOORS INTO DARKNESS at BFI Southbank
- THE STENDHAL SYNDROME 4K Restoration aka La sindrome di Stendhal d. Dario Argento, 1996 (07 MAY 18:20).
- Special events: Strange Phenomena: Argento season introduction (online presentation).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
- BADLANDS d. Terrence Malick, 1973 (07 MAY 20:15).
THE FILMS OF WES ANDERSON at The Prince Charles
- THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS d. Wes Anderson, 2001 (07 MAY 18:00).
FROM THE REQUEST BOARD… at The Prince Charles
- THE PRINCESS BRIDE d. Rob Reiner, 1987 (07 MAY 13:00).
FORGOTTEN TELEVISION DRAMA: REDISCOVERING THE HALF-HOUR PLAY at BFI Southbank
- Early Work by Well-Known Writers+ Q&A with actor Elizabeth Shepherd (07 MAY 16:00).
GENESIS 24TH BIRTHDAY at Genesis Cinema
- BLOW-UP d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1966 (07 MAY 17:30).
MUKHRIJAT: ARAB WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Garden Cinema
MURIEL BOX: A WOMAN’S TAKE at BFI Southbank
- THE HAPPY FAMILY 35mm aka Mr Lord Says No/ Live and Let Live d. Muriel Box, 1952 (07 MAY 18:10).
TECHNOLOGY ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- MON ONCLE d. Jacques Tati, 1958 (07 MAY 14:00).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- CLUELESS d. Amy Heckerling, 1995 (from 07 MAY various).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (07 MAY 20:30 – 4K).
WUXIA SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- A TOUCH OF SIN d. Zhang-Ke Jia, 2013 (07 MAY 15:20).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
- THE WHALE (07 MAY 20:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- POETIC JUSTICE (07 MAY 20:30).
- UK Asian Film Festival (04 to 14 MAY).
Also 05 to 11 MAY 2023 (various dates/times):
- EFTIHIA dir Angelos Frantzis, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End.
- HARKA d. Lotfy Nathan, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.