SUNDAY 07 NOVEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
NIGHTCLEANERS d. Berwick Street Collective, 1975 + COUNCIL HOUSING IN BETHNAL GREEN d. Joan Littlewood, 1963 presented by Habibi Collective at The Castle Cinema (07 NOV 16:30) / Part of FILM COLLECTIVES & POLITICAL LIBERATION IN THE UK (1963–2020).
- NIGHTCLEANERS: “A documentary made by members of the Berwick Street Collective (Marc Karlin, Mary Kelly, James Scott and Humphry Trevelyan), about the campaign to unionize the women who cleaned office blocks at night and who were being victimized and underpaid. Intending at the outset to make a campaign film, the Collective was forced to turn to new forms in order to represent the forces at work between the cleaners, the Cleaner’s Action Group and the unions – and the complex nature of the campaign itself.”
- COUNCIL HOUSING IN BETHNAL GREEN: “Scenes from Keeling House, a council block in Bethnal Green, filmed in 1963 for Joan Littlewood’s film about London past-times.”
- 12 ANGRY MEN 35mm d. Sidney Lumet, 1957 at The Prince Charles (07 NOV 13:15).
- A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY d. Edward Yang, 1991 at Close-Up (07 NOV 15:00).
- BACK TO THE FUTURE d. Robert Zemeckis, 1985 at The Prince Charles (07 NOV 12:45).
- THE CRUCIBLE aka Les Sorcières de Salem d. Raymond Rouleau, 1957 at Ciné Lumière (07 NOV 13:20).
- Doctor Who: GALAXY 4 (animated) at BFI Southbank (07 NOV 12:00).
- EARLY SUMMER aka Bakushû d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1951 at Picturehouse Cinemas (07 NOV various).
- GODZILLA aka Gojira d. Ishirô Honda, 1954 at BFI (07 NOV 15:50).
- HAIRSPRAY d. Adam Shankman, 2007 presented by Musical Sunday at The Cinema Museum (07 NOV 13:00+).
- HIGHWAY ONE d. Jaclyn Bethany, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (07 NOV 20:30).
- THE LIFE OF MATSU THE UNTAMED (The Rickshaw Man) aka Muhomatsu no issho d. Hiroshi Inagaki, 1943 at BFI (07 NOV 11:40).
- MARITAL RELATIONS 35mm d. Shirô Toyoda, 1955 + Recorded intro by Professor Hideaki Fujiki at BFI (07 NOV 18:20).
- MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS d. Sidney Lumet, 1974 at BFI (07 NOV 18:10).
- NIGHTCLEANERS d. Berwick Street Collective, 1975 + COUNCIL HOUSING IN BETHNAL GREEN d. Joan Littlewood, 1963 presented by Habibi Collective at The Castle Cinema (07 NOV 16:30).
- THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER d. Charles Laughton, 1955 at The Prince Charles (07 NOV 15:40).
- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN 35mm d. Ethan Coen & Joel Coen, 2007 at The Prince Charles (07 NOV 18:00).
- NOMADLAND d. Chloé Zhao, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (07 NOV 17:00).
- OSS 117: FROM AFRICA WITH LOVE aka OSS 117: Alerte rouge en Afrique noire d. Nicolas Bedos, 2021 at Ciné Lumière (07 NOV 20:20).
- SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no Samurai d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 + Recorded intro by Jasper Sharpe + Interval at Riverside Studios (07 NOV 13:00 – Free sake!).
- SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no Samurai d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 + Interval at BFI (until 11 NOV various).
- Short films by Radu Jude at ICA (07 NOV 19:00).
- TOKYO STORY 4k aka Tôkyô monogatari d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1953 at BFI (07 NOV 12:45).
- THE TREE OF WOODEN CLOGS aka L’Albero degli zoccoli d. Ermanno Olmi, 1978 at BFI (07 NOV 13:50).
- YI YI d. Edward Yang, 2000 at Close-Up (07 NOV 19:15).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (28 OCT to 14 NOV).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (09 to 14 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (04 to 19 NOV).
- Made In Prague Festival (07 NOV to 10 DEC).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Raindance Film Festival (27 OCT to 06 NOV).
- UK Green Film Festival (03 to 14 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (04 to 18 NOV).
7 PRISONERS aka 7 Prisioneiros d. Alexandre Moratto, 2021.
AS TEARS GO BY d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988.
- Also (05 to 11 NOV various dates/times): BULL d. Paul Andrew Williams, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles // THE CARD COUNTER d. Paul Schrader, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // MEN WHO SING d. Dylan Williams, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // QUANT d. Sadie Frost, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.