SUNDAY 09 JULY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE DRIVER’S SEAT aka Identikit 4K Restoration d. Giuseppe Patroni Griffi, 1974 + Intro/Q&A with food from the Electric Elephant Café, presented by The Vito Project Queer Film Club at The Cinema Museum (09 JUL 19:30).
“The VITO Project Queer Film Club is collaborating with the BFI to present a very rare screening of one of the most obscure, bizarre and wildly misunderstood films of Elizabeth Taylor’s illustrious career. We will be celebrating the BFI’s Blu-ray release of a new 4K restoration – the first time the film is officially available in any format in the UK.”
“Elizabeth Taylor stars as a troubled woman who, upon arriving in Rome, finds a city fragmented by autocratic law, leftist violence and her own increasingly unhinged mission to find the most dangerous liaison of all.”
“Adapted from an unnerving novella by Muriel Spark (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie), the film marked a wild step into the unknown for the screen icon, as she cast off the shackles of the US studio system in the shadow of her tumultuous personal life. Co-starring Ian Bannen, Mona Washbourne and Andy Warhol, The Driver’s Seat stunned critics and audiences alike upon its premiere in 1974 but failed to secure a UK release – until now.” (The Vito Project)
- ALLELUJAH d. Richard Eyre, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (09 JUL 17:00).
- A ROOM WITH A VIEW d. James Ivory, 1985 in memory of Julian Sands at Olympic Studios (09 JUL 13:30 / 13 JUL 13:20).
- A BRIGHT NOWHERE: JOURNEYING INTO IMPROVISATION d. Stewart Morgan Hajdukiewicz, 2022 at Rio Cinema (09 JUL 18:00).
- BIENVENUE CHEZ LES CH’TIS aka Welcome To The Sticks d. Dany Boon, 2008 + Intro by Jon Davies, presented by French Sundaes at The Cinema Museum (09 JUL 14:00).
- Double-bill: THE BIG FLAME + THE FLICKERING FLAME d. Ken Loach, 1969 + 1996 + Q&A with Doreen McNally (Women of the Waterfront) & John McDonnell MP presented by London Socialist Film Co-op at The Garden Cinema (09 JUL 11:00).
- CAMILLE CLAUDEL 1915 d. Bruno Dumont, 2013 at Babel Art House (09 JUL 20:00).
- COW d. Andrea Arnold, 2021 presented by Deptford Cinema at Music Room London (09 JUL 17:00).
- THE DRIVER’S SEAT aka Identikit 4K Restoration d. Giuseppe Patroni Griffi, 1974 + Intro/Q&A with food from the Electric Elephant Café, presented by The Vito Project Queer Film Club at The Cinema Museum (09 JUL 19:30).
- FIRST COW d. Kelly Reichardt, 2019 presented by Deptford Cinema at Music Room London (09 JUL 14:00).
- NAME ME LAWAND d. Edward Lovelace, 2022 + Q&A with the director (BSL interpreted) at The Garden Cinema (09 JUL 18:30).
- RUDOLF NUREYEV’S DON QUIXOTE aka The Impossible Dream d. Rudolf Noureev & Robert Helpmann, 1973 at: Everyman Barnet (09 JUL 17:30); Picturehouse Cinemas (09 JUL various).
- Celluloid Sunday: TO SLEEP SO AS TO DREAM (夢みるように眠りたい) 35mm d. Kaizo Hayashi, 1986 at ICA (09 JUL 18:30).
- Classics: TOUCHEZ PAS AU GRISBI d. Jacques Becker, 1954 at Ciné Lumière (09 JUL 14:00 / 11 JUL 20:15 / 13 JUL 16:20).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THUNDER ROAD 35mm d. Arthur Ripley, 1958 (09 JUL 12:15).
- THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY 35mm aka Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo d. Sergio Leone, 1966 (09 JUL 14:20).
- PARIS, TEXAS 35mm d. Wim Wenders, 1984 (09 JUL 17:20).
- BADLANDS 35mm d. Terrence Malick, 1973 (09 JUL 18:10).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY d. James Mangold, 2023 (until 09 JUL).
3 FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at Close-Up
- LANDSCAPE d. Sergei Loznitsa, 2003 (09 JUL 18:30).
ALFRED HITCHCOCK: ACT 2 – 1945 TO 1954 at The Garden Cinema
- DIAL M FOR MURDER d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1954 (09 JUL 18:00).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- SUZUME (Subtitled) d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (09 JUL 14:35).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THERE’S A PLACE… at BFI Southbank
- BABETTE’S FEAST aka Babettes Gæstebud d. Gabriel Axel, 1987 (09 JUL 13:30).
CLOSE-UP ON ISTVÁN SZABÓ at Close-Up
- FATHER d. István Szabó, 1966 (09 JUL 20:15).
DRAMA AND DESIRE: THE FILMS OF YOUSSEF CHAHINE at BFI Southbank & Ciné Lumière
- Ciné Lumière: THE SIXTH DAY d. Youssef Chahine, 1986 (09 JUL 11:40).
- An Egyptian Panorama- Reimaginings of the Past:
- SALADIN aka Saladin the Victorious aka Saladin & the Great Crusades aka Al-Nasser Salah Al-Din d. Youssef Chahine, 1963 (09 JUL 14:30).
- THE LAND aka El Ard d. Youssef Chahine, 1969 (09 JUL 18:00).
EAT THE SCREEN at Barbican
- FORAGERS d. Jumana Manna, 2022 + Short: SOUP OVER BETHLEHEM d. Larissa Sansour, 2006 + Discussion of food sovereignty in Palestine under occupation, part of SAFAR (09 JUL 17:30).
THE FILMS OF GRETA GERWIG at BFI Southbank
- LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 (09 JUL 18:10).
GERWIG VS NOLAN at Picturehouse Cinemas
- LADY BIRD d. Greta Gerwig, 2017 (09 JUL various).
- INTERSTELLAR d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (09 JUL various).
MAKING MAGIC: 100 YEARS OF DISNEY at BFI Southbank
- And They All Lived Happily After:
- CINDERELLA 4K Restoration d. Clyde Geronimi, Hamilton Luske, & Wilfred Jackson, 1950 (09 JUL 12:20).
- ALICE IN WONDERLAND d. Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson & Hamilton Luske, 1951 (09 JUL 15:30).
RICHARD ATTENBOROUGH CENTENARY at Chiswick Cinema
- GANDHI d. Richard Attenborough, 1982 (09 JUL 18:30).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 (09 JUL various).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- HAPPY TOGETHER d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 (09 JUL 12:00 – 4K).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (09 JUL 20:30 – 4K).
YOU SHOULD BE DANCING at Picturehouse Cinemas
- LES DEMOISELLES DE ROCHEFORT aka The Young Ladies of Rochefort d. Jacques Demy, 1967 (09 JUL various).
Check venues for full listings…
THE LUNA CINEMA at Chiswick House
- NOTTING HILL (09 JUL 21:15).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
- PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH (09 JUL 13:00).
- MAMMA MIA!: HERE WE GO AGAIN (09 JUL 16:15).
- BEETLEJUICE (09 JUL 19:40).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- Ashes Of Time – Chinese Film Festival (07 to 09 JUL).
- The Earl’s Court International Film Festival Highlights (12 JUL).
- Focus Hong Kong (12 to 15 JUL).
- Queer Fest (13 to 16 JUL).
- Rob Knox London Film Festival (08 JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival (29 JUN to 09 JUL).
- SoHome Horror Pride (29 JUN to 02 JUL – until 08 JUL online).
- Sundance Film Festival London (06 to 09 JUL).
CALENDAR GIRLS dirs Maria Loohufvud & Love Martinsen, 2022
Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse.
Also 07 to 13 JUL (various dates/times):
- SHABU d. Shamira Raphaëla, 2023 at: Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- SMOKING CAUSES COUGHING d. Quentin Dupieux, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Rio Cinema.
- WHERE IS THIS STREET? OR WITH NO BEFORE AND AFTER aka Onde Fica Esta Rua? Ou Sem Antes Nem Depois d. João Pedro Rodrigues & João Rui Guerra da Mata, 2022 at: ICA (from 13 JUL).
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.